Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zesar

Botting/cheating/hackers

This isn't something to worry about at this time. This should start being addressed around mid beta.

Lol

It is certainly something to worry about right from the start when you are making a multiplayer game.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Lol

It is certainly something to worry about right from the start when you are making a multiplayer game.

Considering the inherent game vision already removes the basic botter design and Alpha is about a 6 months- year away then I would say they need to be focusing on Combat, figure out a crafting system, get EK's clear. I have heard a lot of hacks and bots happen on Client Side however there isn't even a game to make a Client for yet.

They will cross that bridge when they come to it.

PvE is like water to my whiskey. Don't water down my whiskey.- Ronald Reagan

Don't be a custard gonzo.- Abraham Lincoln

IMO Cirolle is certainly right in this instance. When you decide what IS going to be client side then you know what kind of load your servers are going to have to handle. ALSO non questing type games DO have botting. The aforementioned PvE mob areas will be getting worked over pretty hard by bots imo and its not totally autonomous like some of you are thinking. The SB bot style plants 9 toons at a camp all using their spells and abilities on the same mobs. The stacking damage kills them quite fast and then the 1 player controlled toon (usually in stealth) will loot all the bodies.

Edited by KRIPTIK

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

I've said this before in a previous post about this same topic. I really don't see gold selling companies doing that well in Crowfall. Based off my understanding of the game it's going to be VERY hard to make money via RMT. Most RMT farming methods rely on brainless PvE to acquire items. There's going to be very little PvE in this game and I have a feeling the PvE in this game is going to be pretty highly contested.

I don't really think RMT companies will do well in Crowfall. However very good individual players might end up doing some RMT but that's definitely not as bad as hordes of bots and "ni hao" being spammed everywhere.

Luckily Crowfall is B2P meaning that there's a pretty significant barrier to entry for potential hackers. However I think ACE needs to have a GM or someone at the ready to ban potential cheaters around the clock. One hacked god account could really mess up a campaign and I wouldn't put it past some people to buy a brand new account and hack on it just to benefit their main account.

Edited by Zybak

Considering the inherent game vision already removes the basic botter design and Alpha is about a 6 months- year away then I would say they need to be focusing on Combat, figure out a crafting system, get EK's clear. I have heard a lot of hacks and bots happen on Client Side however there isn't even a game to make a Client for yet.

They will cross that bridge when they come to it.

Nope.

If they do not design a system that have a high level of security, the game simply won't take off.

It will not last longer than a few months with hackers and script kiddies.

I am not very worried about gold farmers or automated bots for farming btw.

Try playing rust or h1z1 to see some examples of fun competitive games (sarcasm).

And H1Z1 even have a rep of being good at getting rid of cheaters.

You guys with your pve mmo bot thinking are on the wrong track

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

It's an issue for another time. Whose honestly going to do any of these during alpha/beta? (Well, I hope the 20,000+ players that have pledged don't intend to do this)

When the time does come to consider this than it has to be a combination of things.

Archeage for instance had both sem-active GM's and a report button. During the day a GM or two would come on, announce in global chat that they were going to go around banning bots now (which is a terrible idea, since active botters/cheaters would log off immediately) and people would type in the chat to tell the GM where to look. Whereas, the report button never actually worked well in the game since it only gave you a 24 hour tag to your name, which told other players, "Hey, I'm a bot". If you got three of these reports (which would reset the 24 hour timer every time) you would get a final tag which gave 24 hours before getting banned. So, you practically had 4 days before being banned.This would be fine, if you couldn't just go to a NPC to get rid of the tag, which most of the bots were programmed to do. Also, the report button was easily abused as people would just report other players as a joke or because they were mad at them. 

I hope the dev's can figure something better than this. 

Edited by zero2none

The above poster "Zero2none" is 100% right about archeage, and the botting problem.  But what drew thousands of botters/gold farmers to archeage, was that it was free to play.  If you did get banned...who cares, go make another account and do it again.

With crowfall, losing $50 everytime you get banned wont stop it, but it wont be so obvious as it is in Archeage.  Now, i hear they can do IP bans, but takes much more effort, and i know there are easy ways to change your IP as well.

Now, the Hacking/cheating issue is quite another story....Botting in Crowfall, epically AFK botting cant be that profitable...you will just get killed/looted over and over...

And exploiting...its going to happen, its just going to be up to players to decide if its worth risking their account for....especially for kickstarter accounts.....

snow-miser-o.gif

dulpoa76627.png

The above poster "Zero2none" is 100% right about archeage, and the botting problem.  But what drew thousands of botters/gold farmers to archeage, was that it was free to play.  If you did get banned...who cares, go make another account and do it again.

With crowfall, losing $50 everytime you get banned wont stop it, but it wont be so obvious as it is in Archeage.  Now, i hear they can do IP bans, but takes much more effort, and i know there are easy ways to change your IP as well.

Now, the Hacking/cheating issue is quite another story....Botting in Crowfall, epically AFK botting cant be that profitable...you will just get killed/looted over and over...

And exploiting...its going to happen, its just going to be up to players to decide if its worth risking their account for....especially for kickstarter accounts.....

snow-miser-o.gif

Not sure if you know, but it is very common for hack site communities to have access to cheaper versions of games.

As an example, H1Z1 was going for less than 4 dollars last time I checked.

Yea I guess these communities would have cheaper versions of the game which is disgraceful as it's promoting hacking/botting. I hope the Crowfall devs do a combination of IP bans, active GM's, an effective report button that can't be abused and anti-hack programs. This should help get rid of all but the most dedicated or clever cheaters. 

Edited by zero2none

I feel like biting would be hard because the maps are always changing. It is not like an instance or normal PvP battle ground where the software can set up coordinates.macros are going to be hard to contain especially with a combo system people will have a one button "100>0hp" string, but that only works if your opponents stand still. Multi boxers will hit hard but also be an easy target to burn down. I don't foresee it being a huge issue with this game I guess.

cheating and boting will kill a game like crowfall. 

In EvE the bots farming isk have become vital for the economy even ccp is afraid to ban them all :D

I hope crowfall would take this serious and allow the economy to be as clean from bots as possible...

So true, bots have become a way of life in EVE, there's no way to get rid of them without ruining the game's economy now. 

If this is an issue, I hope they deal with it quick before it becomes entangled into the game's economy. 

Edited by zero2none

So true, bots have become a way of life in EVE, there's no way to get rid of them without ruining the game's economy now. 

If this is an issue, I hope they deal with it quick before it becomes entangled into the game's economy. 

I thought you said they should wait ;)

So, there are no resources to gather.  There arent any mobs to kill for loot or gold.  You dont have to do anything to train your skills.  Why do you need to log in?

More importantly what makes the carebears want to log in so that I can kill them.

Edited by zolaz

So, there are no resources to gather.  There arent any mobs to kill for loot or gold.

What game are you talking about? It's not Crowfall.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

So, there are no resources to gather.  There arent any mobs to kill for loot or gold.  You dont have to do anything to train your skills.  Why do you need to log in?

More importantly what makes the carebears want to log in so that I can kill them.

Mobs will drop coins and other things. Loots from players should be more valuable than loots from mobs.

Active training exists in addition to passive training.

You log in to win campaigns (scavenging resources, crafting, sieging, socializing, conquering, etc.) or other personal goals.

If the carebears ever join campaigns, they will have to travel to the embargo vault sooner or later with their caravans full of wealth.  :)