Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EDM

Greatest Flaw Of Crowfall?

The greatest flaw I can see thus far is that the archetypes are a little monotonous. There are major strategic roles not represented, and the saturation of humans with little distinguishing features where another race would have offered a lot more depth and diversified the selection is very disappointing.

Beyond that, the lack of strategic emphasis in their combat expression and archetype uniqueness is pretty bad to.

I have a feeling they will be adding more archetypes as time progresses, either pre or post launch, but that's just a hunch (though I believe I read somewhere that it was a possibility).

My only personal reservation at this point so far would be the combat system. I don't want Wildstar telegraphing. Tera's system is ok, I actually kind of like it though I think ranged attacks would have to be adjusted. That being said it has been stated that combat was a work in progress and by no means has it been finalized. 

Also, there should be friendly fire on every campaign.

Seeing from gathered information from FAQ and forums and game footage, what do you guys think is one of the greatest flaws of Crowfall so far?

1. Action combat  (But i am open to it)  Not a fan of locked animations

2. Non persistent world

3. Cartoony graphics

4. Sleazy advertising

That's my flaw list. I love everything else about it, I love the fight for territory etc.. etc..  

Edited by willwill

When it comes to Archetypes, I am all for it.  See some people do not "like" to be class locked by race, but what they fail to realize is that (especially in a PvP game) that choice gets inherently reduced because of effectiveness (i.e. the old min/max).  Sure there may be the few that want to try the odd-ball combo, but definitely not enough of a balance.  However because the open combination existed, tons of dollars and time are spent on creating the animations for all those combos, as well as the art for all the gearsets.

While I know this is not an ARPG, if you are familiar with Marvel Heroes, having 46+ characters makes the game so much more fun than just picking race+class.  There is a style to uniques of each that outweighs the cross-over of mechanics between them.  Archetypes are like that.  We get lots of variety inherent in the race and not so relying on the gear looks to make us stand out.  Now, w are are no so gear dependent which gives the open-looting of corpses more viability and less of a game-ruining recourse.

Entropy is not what it used to be.  I am a servant of The Nothing.. The Hunger!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

My biggest single worry about crowfall is that its scoring system will be exploitable.  I am not sure they are serious enough about how people will abuse their game.

For example, in the reddit AMA they were asked about playing against your own alts.  The answer was that you can't play two characters at a time. This is a very poor answer, indicating some scary ignorance of how other games have been destroyed.  Players will in fact be able to play two players at the same time, by exploiting multiple accounts.   If, as they have seemed to indicate, kill counts and ratios are a measure of success, then this game is completely screwed.  Just kill alt over and over and increase your kill rate to infinity.

Now they may be under the impression they can control this type of exploit by making diminishing returns on killing the same toon multiple times, or some other poorly thought out band-aid.  But this problem is unfixable.  Large guilds can work around any repeat limit and feed themselves thousands of distinct kills a day, all by just hiding in a corner and killing their guildy's alts.  And by guild, i mean meta-guild, not in-game guilds.

Other examples are various castle trading and win trading schemes.   I expect the faction campaigns and tounaments will be destroyed by these.  I am not even sure the designers or most players really understand the scale these things are orchestrated on, or the damage it can do to the game.

Kill/Death ratios would indeed be silly indicators for victory points.

Kill/Death records would be useful for maintaining Kill on Sight lists, and KoS lists are important.

Territory (or POI) control should be a big part of victory conditions.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I think that there isn't enough known to say there is a glaring flaw.

What I think ACE will struggle with the most to overcome is balancing the campaigns.  Duration, win conditions, import/export rules, rulesets, ladders, map size/capacity.

They have 2 years to work on it, but if you are going to attempt to establish a 6 month campaign, being able to test how that plays out and what that should be worth to the victors mathematically is a very large challenge.

my greatest concern with Crowfall is that it can it may require an additional kickstarter campaign at some point. I sinecerely hope this is not the case of course.

Edited by rajah

I think that there isn't enough known to say there is a glaring flaw.

What I think ACE will struggle with the most to overcome is balancing the campaigns.  Duration, win conditions, import/export rules, rulesets, ladders, map size/capacity.

They have 2 years to work on it, but if you are going to attempt to establish a 6 month campaign, being able to test how that plays out and what that should be worth to the victors mathematically is a very large challenge.

I hope they start out with shorter campaigns during the betas (30-90day lengths) in order to hammer out the kinks on campaign rules.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

my greatest concern with Crowfall is that it can it may require an additional kickstarter campaign at some point. I sinecerely hope this is not the case of course.

Well technically its still going on, can still buy/pledge for the different tier packages. Its just on the Crowfall main site now and with minor differences in the perks.

Edited by pang

It makes me sad when a good Kickstarter is over, as I enjoy them! I think that when ArtCraft gets the backer pledges merged, and gets the extras in the store, we will have a constant source of revenue, as players get more money and upgrade here and there. That coupled with the passage of time, and information updates about the game, we should be bringing in more backers, and more money.

I don't see any major flaws with Crowfall. I do have some concerns, but there is a lot of information that is not available on parts of the game that haven't been solidified by ArtCraft. So far we only have the rough idea, the framework of the game. My hope is that future updates will provide enough information to satisfy my concerns. If there are revelations from game updates that I personally don't like, or that I do see flaws with, I will address them here on the forums at that time.

I love how people are pointing out "flaws", yet nobody has played even pre-alpha (except the devs, of course).

Edited by ShadoPandauin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

I love how people are pointing out "flaws", yet nobody has played even pre-alpha (except the devs, of course).

But people aren't pointing out actual game flaws, just a lot of hyperbole.

But people aren't pointing out actual game flaws, just a lot of hyperbole.

Hence the quotation marks I placed around the word "flaws".

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

The greatest flaw has to be all this p2w poorly made socks they're pushing on us, VIP subs, how dare they?! And you even have to pay for the game, huge flaw right there, can't imagine something more p2w than having to pay for the entire game, like basically if you don't buy the game you have 0% chance of winning making it literally 100% p2w!!!

Member of The BlackHand Order

The greatest flaw has to be all this p2w poorly made socks they're pushing on us, VIP subs, how dare they?! And you even have to pay for the game, huge flaw right there, can't imagine something more p2w than having to pay for the entire game, like basically if you don't buy the game you have 0% chance of winning making it literally 100% p2w!!!

This is pretty golden.

Good point, you even have to pay to lose..!