Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Approxy

Game Of Thrones Comparison

In what ways will this game really(honestly) be able to foster an environment that has some of the same elements as Game of Thrones?

In a GoT-like atmosphere, I would expect twists to happen, and guilds to rise and fall as new ones take the lead and fall into or out of favor or riches. This sounds too good to be true, but is any element of this going to be facilitated or even increased in likeliness based on the game mechanics and rules? If the Game of Thrones comparison is simply because this game will be a sandbox and players can do what they like. I feel this comparison might be a thin one.

The first thing that stands out to me as legit is "The Hunger" and how seasons change and maybe some guilds are better suited to producing food and dealing with colder conditions.

I want to know if there is anything else that will make a campaign not be dominated from start to finish by the most powerful guild. What sort of turn of events will keep things interesting, or if everything is left up to the players. It is my belief that the players will tend to do what works best, and this tends to be fairly straightforward with some guilds dominating. If this game is to create a feeling anything like Game of Thrones, multiple strategies will need to be useful.

TO BE CLEAR, I'M NOT AGAINST ANYTHING, I JUST WANT THE VISION FOR THIS GAME TO BE REALIZED

Honestly,

When I think of Game of Thrones, I think about the political aspects.  The whole series is simply the lives of people who are pawns in a larger game.  Without spoiling the story for anyone who hasn't read the books, there are always higher levels of power unveiled within the kingdom.

Where I think we can draw similarities to GoT is in the way the campaigns mirror some aspects of the world that GoT takes place in.

I've seen nothing really fleshed out to express how the political landscape within the Crowfall community would come anywhere close to matching that in GoT.  Maybe though... maybe.

It's largely going to depend on the individual guilds and their interactions with others to accomplish this, at least as far as the political aspect goes. I do not foresee a built in game mechanic if that is what you are looking for. 

Two words: Eve Online.

Just look at how that game has become a world of intrigue, betrayel and politics.

The same can very well happen for this game, as long as the players are willing to put in the time to make it happen.

Also having solid guild systems can really ease the process.

(Btw. For Eve players: I do not mean that everyone gets involved in these politics in Eve, just that it's there and possible.)

Edited by suckingdoge

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

real life laughs on that one.

You can always roleplay with someone that they're your sister.

There's a reason we need female centaurs.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

There are a bunch of Uncle Bobs in Game of Thrones and it is better for it.  They may not be completely unassailable, but a noob who wants to take down the Lannisters will not have an easy time at it.

IhhQKY6.gif

I actually agree that the game of thrones comparison is weak.

But the similarities are:

Winter is coming!: Each campaign progresses towards winter, which increases danger and scarcity of resources

Factional warfare: Many of the campaign worlds are conflicts between factions, with some allowing betrayal

Fantasy setting: Well, there are swords and magic.

I'll be happy to add more if anyone can name more.

It's human nature to dislike what becomes most popular. It happens in sports, pop culture and politics all the time. If one guild starts to dominate people will band together to over throw them. Their will be spies that will invest a lot of time to dismantle another guild. If this game lasts as long as EVE we will see all these things.

"But above all do not bind the anus all that there is congenial to your vision of paradise staff" - leonelion

Current ignore list because these people have no sense of reality or common sense: sheen, unknownxv, doomgrin, willwill, crowmagnonman, santa

I'm trying to figure out how players can betray each other when nobody is really dieing...

I mean, how do you kill you own father and take the throne?... No familial relations and no complete destruction kind of limits your ability to knock off allies.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I think the most important similarities is the Hunger-Winter-thing and what surrounds it.

Like the Ranger archetype seems heavily inspired by the Night's Watch from GoT. 

He looks like a member/commander of the Night's Watch and his monologue sounds like it too - standing between the Hunger/Winter and the "dumb or weak".

In GoT the members of the Night's Watch are also called "Crows", further pointing out the connection.

The comparison with the politics, conflicts and battle for the throne always seemed a little far fetched to me. The Game of Thrones universe is a persistent one, with one throne for all to fight over, while Crowfall is about scavenging dying worlds. Sure, something similar to a throne might emerge in a campaign or two, but it'd merely be a means to the end of bringing home some shiny stuff. If one argues that EKs are the throne game, then the comparison still fails in my view, since any amount of thrones can reign simultaneously in the EKs, taking away the core premise.

I mean being the spiritual successor to shadowbane and how much work it seems they are putting into the fealty/alliance systems, I believe they truly want to make a game with political impacts, guilds switching alliances between campaigns, backdoor deals being made so a guild thinks an ally is joining them to help take a campaign only to be double crossed. Also everytime someone ask's about the release date of Crowfall, JTodd email's GRRM and they kill a Stark...

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

i'd imagine they'd want us to try and take apart each others thrones through a series of monthtly tournaments. throne A versus throne B , throne b wins to fight the tougher throne c while throne d gets tossed down with throne a to see who will remain. eventually the top of the top will fight for the big spot come winter's end.

i'd imagine they'd have a multitude of different campaign like tournaments to decide who gets what and who doesnt etc etc.

but sometimes the very bottom while often defeated in many aspects may make a deal with many others to simply overcome the top by backstabbing those he's made the deals with to move up rank . beware the swift snitch n grab thief from the shadows !

["such a shame with the speed of light , he became a beggar overnight!"]

Edited by inflames21

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

There is going to be a fealty system within the Campaigns (separate from the EK Fealty System). I'd expect that to be where we see political strife and upheaval.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

When they say eve mixed with game of thrones do they mean game of thrones the game or the show?

Is GOT the game any good?

Edited by dertymerv

When they say eve mixed with game of thrones do they mean game of thrones the game or the show?

The book(s).

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.