Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Approxy

Game Of Thrones Comparison

The book(s).

To be fair you cant really say the books are good and the show isnt when GRRM is on set as the creative director the majority of the time. While I agree the books will always be my first love because I started them literally a decade before the show, sometimes there are parts that the show just does better usually in the visceral gore realm lol. 

SPOILER

SPOILER

But without the show how would we have ever known the Night King is still around?!

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

The book(s).

The board game is very good though and probably also a good comparison. You essentially progress through the game making alliances with each other. But only one person can win so the last couple of turns are a huge betrayal fest. Rather like the GvG ruleset will end up in Crowfall.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

i dunno if i can explain it clearly....but the comparison is pretty self evident in many ways...

those who played EVE get it

those from Shadowbane grok it in fullness...

time will tell us as we get to figure it out.....and after all, and to the point of the OP, sort of...

"Time wounds all heels" - Heinlein

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Nerds.

guilty as charged...

so?

but cereally...one thing the last 30 years or show have shown me...is that what nerds dig will eventually wind up as main stream blockbusters...

D&D was strictly a nerd thing....now, take a look at Gaming.... (especially electronic gaming...even nerdier!!)

comic book....once purely for the land of the nerd...

now...how many blockbuster movies...and TV....many a lot of folks don't even know come from comics (History of Violence graphic novel springs to mind as one that became a movie)

on and on...

so, pay attention to yer nerds, imo....

eventually you are gonna like what they (we) enjoy

FIQw0eP.png

The board game is very good though and probably also a good comparison. You essentially progress through the game making alliances with each other. But only one person can win so the last couple of turns are a huge betrayal fest. Rather like the GvG ruleset will end up in Crowfall.

I'm curious if Winter will play out politically like this... and how the devs will give organizations the tools to kneel, pay tribute and break these agreements.

The first GoT book is still in my car...

Seriously though, the main GoT theme is the change in power and political shifts. Thia game will have that, and it isn't hard to see how.

Ya truthfully, I don't know how smaller guilds will ever win. I think maybe we should have campaigns that limit the guild member size and match it to your group. Cause if we don't have this, the guilds with hundreds-thousands of people will always dominate leaving the guilds with less than 50 people in the dust. So if we maybe had Guild vs. Guild/Free for all Size Tiers, it might be nice. So one campaign could have maybe a guild of no more than 20 people, another no more than 50, no more than 100, etc. Just because as a smaller guild, I will be sick of always having to bend the knee just because I am smaller even if I am better than another guild but just get outnumbered.

Ya truthfully, I don't know how smaller guilds will ever win. I think maybe we should have campaigns that limit the guild member size and match it to your group. Cause if we don't have this, the guilds with hundreds-thousands of people will always dominate leaving the guilds with less than 50 people in the dust. So if we maybe had Guild vs. Guild/Free for all Size Tiers, it might be nice. So one campaign could have maybe a guild of no more than 20 people, another no more than 50, no more than 100, etc. Just because as a smaller guild, I will be sick of always having to bend the knee just because I am smaller even if I am better than another guild but just get outnumbered.

Make an effort to form alliances while learning to outplay the zerg much?

Edited by Adall

we'll see

i'm hoping the 20-40 range of actives can and will have the ability for impact in some Campaigns (Dregs and Shadows most likely)

but even in the three way and god factions, solid groups with good teamwork should be valuable....how much so should always be based on negotiating ability and "all the Market can bear" sort of dynamic, imo

count me in as eager to find out...

FIQw0eP.png

Players having the ability to switch allegiance is pretty much the only GoT analogue that can be counted on here. And honestly, that's enough. You can't really make other elements meaningful in a mmo when the source content involves dedicated, specific character interaction that is based upon pages and pages of exposition. There is no way to simulate that in this medium at this point.

Edited by Speely

Players having the ability to switch allegiance is pretty much the only GoT analogue that can be counted on here. And honestly, that's enough. You can't really make other elements meaningful in a mmo when the source content involves dedicated, specific character interaction that is based upon pages and pages of exposition. There is no way to simulate that in this medium at this point.

well..you can take the Forums and all the voice comms added to the in game /tells and regular chat for all the "exposition" parts...yes?

that's how all the Politics happens in our case here...

and it makes sense in a lot of ways, imo

yes, the Lannisters are a HUGE military force as well as an economic titan, lots of soldiers....but that being said...the smaller sub unit of the Gold Cloaks can sway the Capital and in many ways control who sits upon the Iron Throne...

two brothers....both merely "knights" among the Lannisters army, influence many very important events....be they either Mountain or Hound

hey...it works fer me so far...

your mileage may vary

FIQw0eP.png

Let sheen create a guild and watch the dogpile. Player interaction will make a difference as to who can actually get alliances happening.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

Let me tell you a story sweet summer child. The story of Shadowbane... Where what you said outside of the game on the forums impacted the political swings in game. Guilds gave out strict gag order's to members so as not to give a reason for mutual enemies to team up and burn down their cities around their tear drowned corpses. I recall a great man named OneO, berating an enemy who had jumped in voice coms to plead for the salvation of his city... OneO would have none of his tear soaked plea's as the destruction continued. The boys mother then jumped to his aid on voice coms and the string of epitaphs and vulgarity that followed earned brave OneO the title of "Momslayer". You will learn sweet summer child, for winter is coming...

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

Make an effort to form alliances while learning to outplay the zerg much?

That's sort of my point. I don't always want alliances. I don't want to always need to bend the knee. Why would anyone? If a certain team is obviously dominating, I will make alliances, but if I am clearly better than people but just get outnumbered why would I want to be looked down upon. Especially after dozens of campaigns. Imagine a board game like monopoly and every time you play specifically, you need to start with two hundred dollars less than the other players. It's dumb because you might be better, or smarter but you just started with an unfair disadvantage. I don't think people realize that there isn't a way to "outsmart" the zerg because in games like this, size will always outnumber skill. I can be better than 10 men in a battle but if three of those men gang up on me, I am dead.

That's sort of my point. I don't always want alliances. I don't want to always need to bend the knee. Why would anyone? If a certain team is obviously dominating, I will make alliances, but if I am clearly better than people but just get outnumbered why would I want to be looked down upon. Especially after dozens of campaigns. Imagine a board game like monopoly and every time you play specifically, you need to start with two hundred dollars less than the other players. It's dumb because you might be better, or smarter but you just started with an unfair disadvantage. I don't think people realize that there isn't a way to "outsmart" the zerg because in games like this, size will always outnumber skill. I can be better than 10 men in a battle but if three of those men gang up on me, I am dead.

In the game of thrones....

That's sort of my point. I don't always want alliances. I don't want to always need to bend the knee. Why would anyone? If a certain team is obviously dominating, I will make alliances, but if I am clearly better than people but just get outnumbered why would I want to be looked down upon. Especially after dozens of campaigns. Imagine a board game like monopoly and every time you play specifically, you need to start with two hundred dollars less than the other players. It's dumb because you might be better, or smarter but you just started with an unfair disadvantage. I don't think people realize that there isn't a way to "outsmart" the zerg because in games like this, size will always outnumber skill. I can be better than 10 men in a battle but if three of those men gang up on me, I am dead.

I think people need to remember they are not the hero in this game, they are the cog. Some cogs are bigger, some cogs are better, but we are all cogs. You shouldn't expect to win with a small group of friends, but you can expect to team up with other small groups in hopes that the coterie you create will suffice to win the campaign. You can even reasonably expect that five good players could win versus double or triple their numbers if this game does it right (SB, UO, DAoC had this).

Also, Monopoly is a bad analogy. It is heavily weighted on luck, I will gladly take my $200 hit and still win games.