Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

Player Experience & Self-Policing Suggestion Thread

I want to take this moment to host a centralized discussion and suggestion thread around some key areas that have been hot button topics on the Crowfall forums, the first of which is Player Experience & Griefing.

Competition & Betrayal

The core of our game is competition.  If you want to experience everything that Crowfall has to offer, you won't be able to do it without competing, directly or indirectly, with other players.  Part of our vision revolved around politics.  A key component of politics is the concept of betrayal.  We envision many relationships being formed and broken in the game. Whether it be a subservient guild who who overthrows their master, an infiltrator who loots the entire guild cache and delivers it to their sworn enemy, or an alliance that breaks falls apart at a key turning point of a campaign... We consider these to be "fair game" tactics.  We are designing flexibility into the system to allow these events to happen.  That also means that, from a support standpoint, we will be "hands off" when dealing with in-game betrayal by other players or guilds. 

Killing versus Griefing

PvP (and competition in general) is the nature of this game.  Big rewards only come from taking big risk.  Taking that risk means it is quite likely that you WILL be killed by other players.  Accept that fact and move on. You want a nemesis system for those who have killed you many times over? A bounty system to allow you to place a nice reward on the head of someone who’s caused you much anguish? We like these ideas, and we are open to them!

Griefing, however, is not allowed by our Code of Conduct.  Harassment of other players (either in-game via chat channels, or on the forums) will not be tolerated.  We cannot condone abuse toward others, threats of real-life violence, comments regarding suicide, racial slurs -- there are a myriad of unacceptable behaviors, as outlined in our Code of Conduct.  These behaviors have no place in ANY game and any player who feels it is necessary to test us on this position will be apologetically removed from our community.  We have no tolerance for abuse or hate speech in our game, or on our forums.

We already have plans for an (optional) profanity system, standard /ignore and /report functionality, and we have some interesting thoughts on tools to allow community self-policing, but before we go into those we want to use this thread to host your suggestions for what YOU would want to see, in regards to self-policing.

So, on this topic: what functionality do you want to see? What would help you?  

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I would like to see relaxed rules in the guild section as far as rivalries go. Maybe if not in the main guild section, in a Guild Politics subforum. You don't have to tolerate hate speech, threats, not safe for work posts, etc but as far as discussion and drama and politics go it would be nice to be a little rougher to each other.

No built in bounty system. Its just going to end up being abused no matter how well you do that, and unless its a permadeath server, its not really worth killing someone anyway.  A nemesis system would be fun, but absolutely no "he is in X zone" or anything like that.

Yes but can I kill the same guy over and over without it being considered Griefing or a bannable offense?

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

an in game "report" button for stuff that goes over the "Line"

individual kill/death lists for the Players...

Guild Kill on Sight lists for controlled NPCs and structures/merchants...

that's it really....imo, the rest is up to the Players themselves

just my one sixth billionths of the World's opinion.....your mileage may vary...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

what is your definition of griefing?

this:

harassment of other players (either in-game via chat channels, or on the forums) will not be tolerated.  We cannot condone abuse toward others, threats of real-life violence, comments regarding suicide, racial slurs -- there are a myriad of unacceptable behaviors, as outlined in our Code of Conduct.  These behaviors have no place in ANY game and any player who feels it is necessary to test us on this position will be apologetically removed from our community.  We have no tolerance for abuse or hate speech in our game, or on our forums.

is the pretty typical thou shalt not TOS speech...

which is not what most people think of when they start screaming griefing.

So...what is the developer definition/idea of what constitutes one griefing another?

Where does the line go when it comes to ingame killing tho?

Is ganking a kid a couple of times considered harassment?

I just dont want to get banned for having a couple of players report me for stalking them for a couple of days.

Someone must have done something to deserve this! Ha ha ha.

Well, no. They don't need to do anything to deserve this.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I would like to think if you spend your whole time playing ganking the same person over and over again that should draw the line some where. I love PvP but I also think there are other things to do in a game than just follow the same poor person around and kill them constantly.

Don't have a global chat in campaigns. Global chat is often just a place for people to argue over stupid things, or /shout random profanities. As an added bonus, this will also stop gold spammers, and contribute to better merchants, because they won't just be able to spam "WTS Dragonfang Longsword 275gp" over and over again.

Book of the Guilty from Dark Souls. Basically, when another player invades your world and kills you, you are given the option to indict them (after you're dead). Indicting them adds them to the Book of the Guilty which is used by a policing type faction (that players join) who invade the worlds of people on this list. I guess it's kind of like a twist on a bounty system but I think it is a neat idea (especially the book part and the self-policing part).

Edited by Walpurgisnacht

I would like to think if you spend your whole time playing ganking the same person over and over again that should draw the line some where. I love PvP but I also think there are other things to do in a game than just follow the same poor person around and kill them constantly.

Isnt this just a part of the game tho?

If this player gets a couple of friends together, they can easily kill a ganker.

That sounds awful. The line is - you can kill anyone as much as you want. If someone is stupid enough to put themselves in a position to get killed that often, they should be. Putting any kind of limit on it would ruin it

Well, embargo vault camping is going to be a thing. People are going to get griefed.

Bounty hunter systems? Sure why not. CYT and I will talk smack on the forums and then just kill each other all day and get rich af.

the gankee could always try to change their behavior so as not to be ganked over and over...the whole pavlov thing. Drooling dogs get it, why don't stupid humans?

Even games like Archeage which isnt really a hardcore pvp game would let me camp a poor guy for 3 days and not let him trade in a single trade-pack. He killed me whilst I was afk for a min, so my revenge was to camp him until he logged off for a couple of days.

Its just a basic KoS list.

That sounds awful. The line is - you can kill anyone as much as you want. If someone is stupid enough to put themselves in a position to get killed that often, they should be. Putting any kind of limit on it would ruin it

No way do I think there should be a limit. Personally my play style would be to kill many different people than just one person. I agree it's a bit fun sneaking around bothering the same person but I move on after a few kills. I suppose if someone wants to spend hours upon hours killing one person that is their preferred way to play. That is okay! It goes on that other person to call friends, go to a different area if possible, or just log for a break. 

When I said draw the line I meant on either player sides not the game limit just to clear that up!

Edited by Zoltariel

There are ways to get out of being griefed over again. Griefers have attention span deficits. Log out for a few minutes, cry on the forums, log on an alt, find some friends, etc.

I know all of us will get griefed at some point.

Edit: and like Gordon said. The griefer needs to consider their behavior as well. Do they want competition? Or just weak targets? I'm thinking by then we'll have a carebear signal where noobs can cry for 100 heroes.

Edited by headlight

AND THE guy getting killed over and over could be completely legit.

bob has been trying to do an embargo run every day at 6pm for the past week...and every day i've been killing him and taking his stuff...i'll be there waiting for him every day at 602 until he brings enough folks to stop it.

it's not griefing to kill someone who has something worth taking...and refuses to do anything but die.