Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

Player Experience & Self-Policing Suggestion Thread

it shure would be amazing...

it would be amazingly abused and exploited....every time

hell...ANY artificial coded systemic that CAN be abused and exploited WILL BE....

reputation and bounty systems are easy to abuse due to their very nature....hence why it should be left to the Players, imo...

True but it would be fun to have some sort of system even if player operated by word of mouth. 

I prefer players policing players. If there's  chat on a campaign and someone's getting griefed, it doesn't matter if it's 100 unskilled zerglings, the Captain Saveaho guild, or a solo Pk who wants to test his skills -- someone's going to come running.

Bounty systems sound interesting but in reality they have no place in a game like this. I'm going to die at least 10 times a campaign, who collects the bounty on me? Are you going to get a character locked in a campaign solely to hunt me and take a penalty when you exit the campaign just to get a bounty?

True but it would be fun to have some sort of system even if player operated by word of mouth. 

i agree that Player run is moar Funtimes...

hence my point...you don't need a single line of Code for that.....Shadowbane proved how that works, imo...

as opposed to everything else that's tried something different...only other Game i've ever known that came close was EVE,,,

could just be me...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

yep, I guarantee you if they put in a bounty system and someone puts a bounty on me, my friend is getting the kill and we're pocketing half the gold

I would just get a group of friends and report people leading caravans, kill them and take their stuff AND get the bounty on top of it.

All is fair in love and war.

Are you going to get a character locked in a campaign solely to hunt me and take a penalty when you exit the campaign just to get a bounty?

Sounds like Santa's plan to rek you headlight.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I prefer players policing players. If there's  chat on a campaign and someone's getting griefed, it doesn't matter if it's 100 unskilled zerglings, the Captain Saveaho guild, or a solo Pk who wants to test his skills -- someone's going to come running.

I'm only running into trouble for randoms if they pay me.. otherwise I am staying in the shadows ganking caravans.

I feel the definition of griefing is when you go out of your way to try and ruin someone else's gaming experience. It becomes no longer about respectful competition, but more about you getting your jollies from being an asshat.

If you're going out of your way to make someone want to log off the game by following them around and repeatedly killing them, what good is that? We don't want people to leave the game. We want them to come in and provide a great fight and great battles. Respect through competition. Think Drizzt vs Entreri.

I do think we should ere more on the self-policing side though. Except for the most egregious of circumstances.

"To live, will be an awfully big adventure"

Agree with the comments so far, which is why we haven't agreed to put a Bounty system in yet :-). 

Let's move the discussion back to other self-policing tools, 

For genuine cases of harassment and threats do you prefer the idea of public player run tribunals or behind the scenes customer support run? 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

A bounty system is called the forums.  But be forewarned, it could just as easily backfire against you when people see you complaining about how "Lrntoplaynub" smashed your pixels a dozen times in a row.

The most a person should need for a bounty system is the ability to chat with friends, guildmates and mutual enemies of the person you want revenge on.  I like the idea of a guild & personal Kill on Sight list that can be viewed in game.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I feel the definition of griefing is when you go out of your way to try and ruin someone else's gaming experience. It becomes no longer about respectful competition, but more about you getting your jollies from being an asshat.

If you're going out of your way to make someone want to log off the game by following them around and repeatedly killing them, what good is that? We don't want people to leave the game. We want them to come in and provide a great fight and great battles. Respect through competition. Think Drizzt vs Entreri.

I do think we should ere more on the self-policing side though. Except for the most egregious of circumstances.

You can't change player mentality. What you can do is make it to where the player can't be griefed non-stop. If they die only to respawn over and over again in the same graveyard because there isn't more than one: that's enabling griefing imo. There's ways that devs can limit it as well.

Edited by headlight

I am thinking of the original theme that Crowfall presented  " The players are/make the story".  I believe that no hard coded form of policing should be wanted or needed.   As my sig states not every story has a happy ending, but,  some amazing stories can be written if you allow us to do it.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I want to take this moment to host a centralized discussion and suggestion thread around some key areas that have been hot button topics on the Crowfall forums, the first of which is Player Experience & Griefing.

Competition & Betrayal

The core of our game is competition.  If you want to experience everything that Crowfall has to offer, you won't be able to do it without competing, directly or indirectly, with other players.  Part of our vision revolved around politics.  A key component of politics is the concept of betrayal.  We envision many relationships being formed and broken in the game. Whether it be a subservient guild who who overthrows their master, an infiltrator who loots the entire guild cache and delivers it to their sworn enemy, or an alliance that breaks falls apart at a key turning point of a campaign... We consider these to be "fair game" tactics.  We are designing flexibility into the system to allow these events to happen.  That also means that, from a support standpoint, we will be "hands off" when dealing with in-game betrayal by other players or guilds. 

Killing versus Griefing

PvP (and competition in general) is the nature of this game.  Big rewards only come from taking big risk.  Taking that risk means it is quite likely that you WILL be killed by other players.  Accept that fact and move on. You want a nemesis system for those who have killed you many times over? A bounty system to allow you to place a nice reward on the head of someone who’s caused you much anguish? We like these ideas, and we are open to them!

Griefing, however, is not allowed by our Code of Conduct.  Harassment of other players (either in-game via chat channels, or on the forums) will not be tolerated.  We cannot condone abuse toward others, threats of real-life violence, comments regarding suicide, racial slurs -- there are a myriad of unacceptable behaviors, as outlined in our Code of Conduct.  These behaviors have no place in ANY game and any player who feels it is necessary to test us on this position will be apologetically removed from our community.  We have no tolerance for abuse or hate speech in our game, or on our forums.

We already have plans for an (optional) profanity system, standard /ignore and /report functionality, and we have some interesting thoughts on tools to allow community self-policing, but before we go into those we want to use this thread to host your suggestions for what YOU would want to see, in regards to self-policing.

So, on this topic: what functionality do you want to see? What would help you?  

i am loving this idea. i think we should start from there and see where things need to be added to see which areas will get out of hand and abused by others first.

by abuse i mean characters attempting to find a way around their /report so they don't get banned (hacks whatever you like to call it)

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

Agree with the comments so far, which is why we haven't agreed to put a Bounty system in yet :-). 

For genuine cases of harassment and threats do you prefer the idea of public player run tribunals or behind the scenes customer support run?

I don't trust 90% of these guys to judge a personality such as myself.

CCRs can handle TOS infractions IMO.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Flag accounts of offenders and have full loot drop added to them. 

with competition discrimination is automatically involved.

Naturally many players will feel they are better than others.

Probably even now,before the game is even made 

Let there be betrayal,in the end you get everything you deserve.

So if you get overthrown or your guild cache is plundered,it is your own fault.

I often wonder why it is I never like to commit myself to a guild in mmo's.

Maybe I like to be that wanderer in the middle,always open to meet new people out there.

Or maybe it is that I don't want to limit myself by joining a guild of people I actually barely know.

Maybe regarding competition & betrayal ,self-policing, there should be different rules for order,balance,chaos.

Order has some kind of stronger justice system.

Balance is like whatever when it comes to politics and policing(me)

Chaos is more badass barbaric

I think behind the scenes customer support would be better for genuine harassment.  I fear it may not be taken seriously otherwise.

Definitely behind the scene cs support.  No one is special or entitled no matter who they are or who they run with. 

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"