Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
puddledux

Api Discussion Got Me Thinking

Some people mentioned that we shouldn't be able to pull Intel on other players as it should be earned.

Would it be possible to have a "scout journal"?

This would require you to perform some sort of scouting ability of said individual. This could then place a snapshot in time of the player in your "scout journal".

You want more up-to-date Intel, then you better go scouting.

Thoughts?

For the sake of running guilds and reducing the nonsense of spying, API is the way to go.  Guild officers have lives and don't have the time to police dozens of their own members looking for one possible snake in the grass.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

argh....

so you ask for Code to do your duties for you?

no thanks...

a Player kept in game "journal"....don't really care, but you can do that yourself without a line of Code being written...yes?

just my Opinion....your mileage may vary

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I dont like the idea of an API... i dont like people spying on me.

If you want to check what gear I have, come vs me.

I agree.  New Avatar?  I like it.  Some  lol

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I dont like the idea of an API... i dont like people spying on me.

If you want to check what gear I have, come vs me.

your statement confuses me, seeing as the actions i'm suggesting happen in game. You don't like being spied on, then you should be diligent enough to notice you are being scouted while you are playing no?

For the sake of running guilds and reducing the nonsense of spying, API is the way to go.  Guild officers have lives and don't have the time to police dozens of their own members looking for one possible snake in the grass.

Spying is part of the game. If you can't keep a handle on it then you'll have problems, but I don't think out of game options that do your job for you are the answer. Figuring out how to keep a handle on that is part of the skill in a game like this.

Spying is part of the game. If you can't keep a handle on it then you'll have problems, but I don't think out of game options that do your job for you are the answer. Figuring out how to keep a handle on that is part of the skill in a game like this.

More tools = better at doing your job, not taking the work out of it.  Spies can always use workarounds (external communication), but why not make them work harder for it too?

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

More tools = better at doing your job, not taking the work out of it.  Spies can always use workarounds (external communication), but why not make them work harder for it too?

The point is people want to play the game, not tools outside of the game. The social and political aspects of a game like this are huge and some people are quite good at it. Giving players tools to manage that outside of the game detracts from that skill and allows those who are not as good at the game itself to still succeed. That defeats the purpose of playing. If you want to be good in game, it should require in game skills. Perhaps that's a cultural thing but I'm hoping that's the game they're making and not one that requires usage of a ton of outside apps.

Edited by leiloni

The point is people want to play the game, not tools outside of the game. The social and political aspects of a game like this are huge and some people are quite good at it. Giving players tools to manage that outside of the game detracts from that skill and allows those who are not as good at the game itself to still succeed. That defeats the purpose of playing. If you want to be good in game, it should require in game skills. Perhaps that's a cultural thing but I'm hoping that's the game they're making and not one that requires usage of a ton of outside apps.

We'll have to agree to disagree, as I couldn't disagree with you more.  I think a game that relies so much on social interaction should give players the power to wield tools that help in it.  I also think that those players like me that could give a rat's ass about spying on other guilds can waste less time rooting out spies and spend more time playing the actual game I'm interested in: combat and battleground tactics.

We'll have to agree to disagree, as I couldn't disagree with you more.  I think a game that relies so much on social interaction should give players the power to wield tools that help in it.  I also think that those players like me that could give a rat's bottom about spying on other guilds can waste less time rooting out spies and spend more time playing the actual game I'm interested in: combat and battleground tactics.

so in part...you want the Code to help you against other Players acting as spies?

and that's my point here...

it should NEVER be a function of Code to do what Player's should do for themselves...

silly of me, i know....

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

so in part...you want the Code to help you against other Players acting as spies?

and that's my point here...

it should NEVER be a function of Code to do what Player's should do for themselves...

silly of me, i know....

I'd agree, if we were talking about code that helped me fight better in combat.  But if someone is siphoning off resources, or chatting with the enemy guild via in game PMs... yeah, that's a waste of my valuable time to root out the behavior and that's where the API comes in.

More so, competitive guilds will simply say "no thanks" to new players, locking them out of the end-game.

Alternatively, people will start asking for account logins as a security vetting process. This won't end well.

Easier you make it to outrun your reputation, less anyone would trust strangers.

Some people mentioned that we shouldn't be able to pull Intel on other players as it should be earned.

Would it be possible to have a "scout journal"?

This would require you to perform some sort of scouting ability of said individual. This could then place a snapshot in time of the player in your "scout journal".

You want more up-to-date Intel, then you better go scouting.

Thoughts?

Make a Google Doc. Take notes in it. Share it with your guild.

Scout journal.

Make a Google Doc. Take notes in it. Share it with your guild.

Scout journal.

And I bet infinitely easier to use and read than any in-game journal setup.

If its information on items/promotions/disciplines, then you would need to have a distinct look for every bit of information in order to be able to identify each aspect and journal it your self in notepad/gdocs. 

My suggestion lent its self to an action in game, where you perform it on another player, more like an ability. 

I agree.  New Avatar?  I like it.  Some  lol

yes, I am trying out something new :)

glad you like it ^^

I hear everything you type in a Mr. Bean voice now.   I'm not sure how to feel about that.