Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grayfox

Crowfall Versus Shroud Of The Avatar Versus Star Citizen

All three games fill different aspects of the MMO industry.

SoTA will have an interesting story and player constructed gameplay, but will falter to Camelot Unchained.

Star Citizen is just going to be a completely different game.

You'd have to quantify better what "Promising" means for any meaningful discussion.  Also, this is borderline Off Topic.

I've purchased Life is Feudal: Your Own, which is a taste of an MMO that is in development. The "Your Own" version is all that is released as of now and lets owners of the game set up private 64 player servers on a map much smaller then the developing mmo, or join the servers that others have set up. Buying LiF "Your Own" version also means you get 1 character slot on the mmo when it is released. The mmo is a buy to play set-up, and they are going to make players pay for each character slot.

In my only other post on this forum I mentioned liking certain ideas about the Crowfall game, and I do find some of it interesting, but if I am to be honest I am not sure if it will be able to compete for my gaming time personally. I like total freedom in many things and think I may need to be tied to a large group to succeed in Crowfall. I can't imagine myself trying to hold territory all on my lonesome. Other games out there will give me an outlet to have a good time solo, dedication to this game to me reads as all or nothing. Planetside 2, Team Fortress Classic and Team Fortress 2 have territory control. Capture points. Randomized loot in the form of armor and weapons with varying powers would give me something to strive for besides holding a point and gathering resources.  But they can't really do that here in pvp-land or the strong could farm the weak for gear with perhaps too much ease. Success then is just resource gathering and politics and a big castle and a pat on the back, shiny gear that may look a lot like the shiny gear of many other champions.  In Life is Feudal I think even if it has similar "problems" it will at least be in my opinion, more chaotic, vibrant, and full of danger.  Also I am looking forward to a future where games are first person/third or over the shoulder camera and involve hit boxes and the like.

If you are not sure what to make of my attitude it is simply this, I am curious about this game, as a gamer, but I find my tastes in gaming will probably steer me away from this title rather then towards it. 

Maybe I'm wrong but cartoony constant control point contesting + misc activities and perhaps bland loot, bland and unfulfilling loot even when snatched from the corpse's of others, is a rough idea of the nightmare I think the worst case scenario for this particular title is. 

If I feel the need to play territory control an action oriented Planetside 2 or some future similar game would fit my needs. If I want to screw with people I think Life is Feudal will better suit my needs. I am not sure Crowfall will fill any particular gaming desire for me.  This might seem like a bash, but in all honesty I am curious enough about the game to visit here, and like a lot of it.  But I am a gamer. I like a lot about a lot of games. But I only got time for so many  

Thanks for the discussion. I was very interested in other options on the topic. For disclosure I am heavily invested in Shroud second highest in Crowfall and least but gaining in SC.

I believe each game fills a niche for a true gamer and each can be enjoyable. I love pvp but with pvp comes lots of drama hence the reason I backed Shroud moreso as its the least pvp centric. Although I definitely love the excitement of hard cord pvp. One issue with pvp are the real life commitments to be considered hard core and the limited time battles sold me on Crowfall for my pvp itch.

SC looks amazing with unbelievable funding. Hard to resist and bought two high level ships including the one on sale now the lifetime insurance. I used to play Eve a lot and miss a good space sim.

I hope all three games are vastly successful as the mmo genre currently is horrible and dying.

I am backing both SC and Crowfall. Heavily invested in SC and looking forward to its progression. Crowfall is going to be awesome and I plan to be very active in both.

well for me only Crowfall meets the requirements I'm searching for. SoA is a nice game but it wasn't what I'm looking for. Never got interested in SC and my personal opinion about SC - I don't trust them. 

But well.. we'll see how it will go here. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

I'm a fairly high level backer for each game.  Which is the most promising?  

Currently I believe Star Citizen is the most promising based upon early adoption, but Shroud of the Avatar is quietly building an incredible experience.

I believe Crowfall will be quite successful but perhaps not as big as Shroud after release.

Star Citizen:  Scifi Carebear Fail.

Shroud of the Avatar:  SOLO INSTANCES?  SOLO This.  Slight MMO with EQ like quests.  Fail.

I played a ton of Ultima through the years, It is why I played UO.

SotA doesn't do anything for me. I also think it makes a great case as to why ACE went with the art style they did (which I like)

They tried to create a realistic style, but it comes across as blocky and quickly outdated. Other than going off on an art tangent, I expect the game to be great for Ultima fans...I personally like CF for the type of game I like to play now. 

SC obviously could be a great game, but the amount of time it is taking and over funding that game has received both concern me.Can they meet their lofty expectations for the game? Will all of that money they have raised result in a game not as good as it should be? (they already have made all of the profits they need before the game even launched...that concerns me)

Edited by Kell

SotA is putting out some "lets decorate our house all day" B.S.  I was hoping for a return of UO, but the game is a serious let-down...a complete lack of vision.  (and yes im a backer)

Same here but I would say their community is supporting and forcing them to make this kind of sh.t. Everytime I created a topic on their forum to go more UO direction and remove scenes (like 1,5 years ago) remove  optional PvP and their deck combat, I was flamed as f..k by the community

Same here but I would say their community is supporting and forcing them to make this kind of sh.t. Everytime I created a topic on their forum to go more UO direction and remove scenes (like 1,5 years ago) remove  optional PvP and their deck combat, I was flamed as f..k by the community

That's my experience as well...their mods/devs even warn forum users who write "care-bears" in a "derogatory" way.  Forget about the RP crowd -- those guys are seriously out of their mind and brow-beat every PvP idea to death.  It's a clown show over there, and predict the game will lack serious pathways to fun.  

I'm all in on Crowfall and own an Avenger in SC.  

Edited by murdock

www.LordsOfDeath.com

https://twitter.com/lodforlife

"Alert The Clutch"

Hehe I was even banned for 1 week for typing :o "c4rebear" twice!

Damn this word is not allowed on this forume either... FK that.

It's allowed, just Tully screwing with Gonzo :D

Member of The BlackHand Order

Star Citizen:  Scifi gonzo Fail.

Shroud of the Avatar:  SOLO INSTANCES?  SOLO This.  Slight MMO with EQ like quests.  Fail.

Yeah, that sounds horrible. There is nothing worse in an mmorpg than doing a mission/quest. I hate that poorly made socks and my desire to play a game hits ROCK bottom when Im told what to do by the game. Completing missions in Archeage to level up was a total nightmare for me. I survived only because I forced myself. And still.. I managed to get a lot of xp from standing in 1 spawn and bashing mobs for hours on end. That to me was less straining than the irritating mission nonsense.

I am a backer of Shroud of the Avatar and Crowfall,

they both have there perspective placing, The Devs/Mods are very PVE orientated, so if your PVP you can really never win an arguement in the forums, or even mention PVP without PVE jumping all over you! You as PVP will get moderated and banned eventually the mods are very bias! the PVE people will always get the best of you since most of the mods and devs are PVE!

So lets start with this one "Crowfall" To me it seemed to be more of a PVP type game (kingdom vs Kingdom, people Vs people) and they are building around that aspect (or so it seems that way to me, unless i missed something? Which i hope i didnt since i spent stupid amounts of money on both this one and shroud)

So i look at crowfall as more of a PVP oriented type game, which i like! I really look forward to the outcome of this game! I think i will like it alot!

Now lets talk about Shroud of the Avatar, The Devs/Mods are very PVE orientated, so if your PVP you can really never win an arguement in the forums, or even mention PVP without PVE jumping all over you! You as PVP will get moderated and banned eventually,  the mods are very bias! the PVE people will always get the best of you since most of the mods and devs are PVE!

The graphics are excellent, the combat you have to get used too, but it is playable, i enjoy it when im on playing with my guild or friends (it is in alpha but you can still play it depending on your pledge level), they do change things if suggestions are made, they have changed many things based on what the people want so far.

Also if your Dev+ in your pledge then you also get to play on a separate server with the devs trying new things out before it is released! I think it will be a great game.  but more so for the PVe'r. Well lets just say it is really built around PVE, personally i dont want to follow a storyline, id rather make my own, so i avoid most of that (if i want to play PVE there are plenty of single player games out there just for that) you constantly hear that PVP never Rps (which is BS since we do i play a hunter of evil things so i consider my game play as looking for something evil or bad and killing it) i would call that Rp!

So to sum it up

Crowfall - i dont really know much about it but it sounds like something id like!

Shroud of the Avatar - is fun in its own way but basically built around PVE and RP. (its worth checking out if you havent already) (PVP is still in the game just not as much for it yet) i hope it will have more PVP things later on in development, it is still being developed and they project it will be out next year.

Star Citizen i know nothing about!

Edited by blaquerogue

Famous last words..................

It doesnt look like a fire breathing dragon!?

My take on these three is that they are really the start of the new way in which big titles will be made. Star Citizen has certainly proven that EA was wrong and mishandled Earth and Beyond. There is most defiantly a following for space games. Personally I have backed this one and I am very excited for it to release the Persistent Universe.

Crowfall also scratches a niche that other games cannot. It has the promise to be a new and exciting experience, not EQ redone, again. I backed this as well.

Shroud, I was actually very excited for this one until I did some digging and tried a few of the alpha builds. The combat system is very luck based and prevents all but a very few specific builds from being effective. The responses they have provided show that they are unwilling to make significant changes to how the combat works. Further more they are selling land as a back reward. This is not instanced land, this is a limited resource. People coming into the game with a smaller back reward are at a disadvantage if they have an interest in the housing/land aspect of the game. This is pay to win at its core. A limited resource is being sold off to the highest bidder before the game even launches. This isn't too surprising though considering how UO ended up being much about flipping land on Ebay but it is disappointing.

A fourth one that wasn't listed by the OP and believe is worth watching is Shards Online. This has the potential to reach those of us who really like in depth RPGs and has an online element. Check it out if you haven't.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~Terry Pratchett