Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Responsible Transport, Or Not Arming The Competition

I submit that if you are planning on embargoing goods to the EK that will become EK-exclusive items (such as housing or land tiles), that you do so in their finished state.

Scenario: You really want a red leather couch in your Guinecean Hobbity Hole in the EK. This is important to you. On your way to the closest embargo location, you are waylaid by a pack of Murder Deer. They kill you and loot your corpse. Would you rather they have a couch... or piles of leather and wood with which to make armor and weapons?

Presumably they will still be able to salvage, at significant resource cost.

I submit that if you are planning on embargoing goods to the EK that will become EK-exclusive items (such as housing or land tiles), that you do so in their finished state.

Scenario: You really want a red leather couch in your Guinecean Hobbity Hole in the EK. This is important to you. On your way to the closest embargo location, you are waylaid by a pack of Murder Deer. They kill you and loot your corpse. Would you rather they have a couch... or piles of leather and wood with which to make armor and weapons?

I dont think you can actually create the couch inside the campaign, atleast they havent specified this.

What they ahve said is that you can import resources to your ek from the campaign, that would be leather and wood.

I dont think you can actually create the couch inside the campaign, atleast they havent specified this.

What they ahve said is that you can import resources to your ek from the campaign, that would be leather and wood.

Crafting is possible and necessary in campaigns.

Why you would want a couch in a campaign? Other than for the OP's purpose, I don't know.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I would walk around carrying a futon just to screw with bandits. 'What the...! Dude was carrying a futon! Who travels with a futon? They aren't even comfortable!'

You can export whatever you want from the campaigns.  The export bank has slots in it - you fill the slots with whatever you want.  Gear, crafted goods, resources, the head of an enemy (here's hoping!) and then a percentage of that gets exported depending upon how well you do in the campaign.  Right now an RNG will determine which export bank slots will be exported based on your percentage so you don't have control over what actually gets to your EK.

So let's take a look at that couch again. How hard was it to craft?  Were any of the mats rare? Is the couch worth more than the sum of its parts and what are your odds of getting it back to the EK through the export bank?  Are you winning the campaign on the Dregs so you're at 100% export?  How hard are resources to come by? Common or did the "make resources finite" crew win out and a stack of lumber is worth 25 couches at this point in the game?

Can't answer your question. Not enough info.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Those questions are irrelevant in my example, as you user (you) really wants a couch at home. The only choice is to transfer the mats or craft in the campaign and transfer the finished product.

The third option would be to use resources from EK, but you get the idea.

Murder deer might enjoy a couch to sit on while they wait to murder!

I think that a lot depends on the export rules. If we are allowed only a small percentage for losing, you might risk not getting the couch on export, whereas you might get at least some of the materials if you did not craft the couch. It might take some play time and a few campaigns to get a good feel as to whether it makes more sense to craft materials you are planning to export before they are embargoed, or whether to just embargo the materials. I think it's a good question, and I think that we need more information on the process, or some hands on time with the system during alpha / beta / launch.

I think the ultimate issue is how large an item is in the inventory. If a stack of materials takes up 1 slot and a couch takes up 10 slots, it doesn't really makes sense to craft it first. Also, I don't see any worthwhile crafter spending his or her time crafting making decorative items in the middle of the campaign. Past the first or second campaign the economic giants will already have all they need for decoration.

I do support being careful and bringing body guards or splitting resources to carry.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

Murder deer might enjoy a couch to sit on while they wait to murder!

It wasn't uncommon for the PKs in UO to just sit on their porches and chat until prey came by. Seeing murderous deer do it isn't that much of a leap. :) 

Oridi had a good point about finite, dwindling resources. 

After the murdeer herd ganks you they will get your couches. If they're already crafted they may take them to sell, but they're likely to bank bulky stuff in the vault.

If they take the stuff, it stays in the economy, keeping prices down and your guild may even recover it when you purge the area (again).

If they or bank it themselves, it's gone from the campaign, but you may be able to buy it from them in the EK, if you didn't embarrass yourself too much by crying.

Destroying your finished couch would be counter-productive, but it will happen, often.

Fluff items with no personal value will also be the last items chosen to come out of the embargo vault.

Better to own the territory, purge it before you transport, and be a very hard target when you do.

Then when you do get robbed, Grief the blackguards if you can.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

There are a lot of variables we don't know enough about yet to make those kinds of decisions. For example if your couch takes x resources to craft but it takes up the physical space of x^2 resources you'll end up cutting your nose off to spite your face. We also don't know enough about failure chance and how many resources and how much time waste it will cost to craft the item. In addition the ruleset and procedural generation may make those resources more valuable inside the campaign.

I was going to try and call them "murdeer," but that just sounds like aquatic fish-deer hybrids (even though it isn't spelled properly), so... Drat. :)

This is an interesting ponderance (totally a word), but would it not be highly likely that the Murdeer (I'm rolling with it) would be capable of salvaging said couch? Maybe they don't get as many resources as if you were just lugging around all the raw resources necessary to make the couch, but still. IF that's possible, it kinda puts a damper on your master plan (which was a good plan... don't get me wrong.)

EDIT: Crap. I just realized people already invented "murdeer." Sorry. Not trying to take credit for it, but I'm enjoying the mashup. :)

Edited by Lephys

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.