Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lyyti

Afk, Brb...

There comes a time when playing any game that you need to step away from the keyboard. Whether it is to grab a drink, answer the phone, use the bathroom, or just stand up and stretch your legs (oh, and btw, did you know that prolonged periods of sitting are extremely bad for your health? Check out the explanation from ASAP Science: https://youtu.be/uiKg6JfS658 ). If you play for any significant length of time, you will encounter a situation where you are not in a position to quickly respond to danger to your character. This then brings the question, how to deal with these situations?

In a single player game you can pause the game. In a traditional mmo you can teleport back to town or another safe zone. However in Crowfall, there is no pause, there should be no safe zones. What then are the options? You could log out, I suppose, but that seems a bit clumsy. You could walk to an area controlled by your faction/friends and hope you don't get ganked while AFK, but that doesn't seem optimal either. Can you teleport back to your EK at any time while in a campaign? This would solve the problem, but I worry that it would be used as an escape mechanic, so I find that to also be a flawed solution.

My suggestion then is for players to have an invulnerability skill. Toggle it on and you are invulnerable for up to five minutes, but you cannot do anything in the game other than toggle the skill off – no skills, no chat, nothing. Perhaps your field of vision would also be reduced, and of course there would need to be a significant cooldown on the skill of say 60 minutes to prevent it from being abused. Also, the skill cannot be used when you are in combat.

Now I know that this probably isn't the best solution, but it is the best I can come up with. What do the rest of you think? Is there a better option out there or do you like the idea of an temporary invulnerability skill?

---

tl;dr:

Temporary invulnerability non-combat skill for when you need to step away from the keyboard briefly.  Good idea or is there a better option?

Inevitably, this will result in people "going afk" if they see a dangerous group coming their way. And don't tell me "well they can just wait and still kill you," because I don't want a game where every fight is me deciding if I feel like standing near an invulnerable player for 5 minutes or moving on.

This is way too abusable, sorry. I don't see it working.

No. You go AFK you die. That is the way of things.

In SB if your AFK in your own guilds city your guildies will gank you.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

ACE should make a deal with RedBull.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I agree that it is perhaps not the best solution, and yes it has the potential to be abused, but that's why I'm asking for other solutions as well.  Sometimes real life calls you away from the computer.  Is there no way to stay safe in that situation other than logging out?  I think we can come up with something better than that.

There comes a time when playing any game that you need to step away from the keyboard. Whether it is to grab a drink, answer the phone, use the bathroom, or just stand up and stretch your legs (oh, and btw, did you know that prolonged periods of sitting are extremely bad for your health? Check out the explanation from ASAP Science: https://youtu.be/uiKg6JfS658 ). If you play for any significant length of time, you will encounter a situation where you are not in a position to quickly respond to danger to your character. This then brings the question, how to deal with these situations?

In a single player game you can pause the game. In a traditional mmo you can teleport back to town or another safe zone. However in Crowfall, there is no pause, there should be no safe zones. What then are the options? You could log out, I suppose, but that seems a bit clumsy. You could walk to an area controlled by your faction/friends and hope you don't get ganked while AFK, but that doesn't seem optimal either. Can you teleport back to your EK at any time while in a campaign? This would solve the problem, but I worry that it would be used as an escape mechanic, so I find that to also be a flawed solution.

My suggestion then is for players to have an invulnerability skill. Toggle it on and you are invulnerable for up to five minutes, but you cannot do anything in the game other than toggle the skill off – no skills, no chat, nothing. Perhaps your field of vision would also be reduced, and of course there would need to be a significant cooldown on the skill of say 60 minutes to prevent it from being abused. Also, the skill cannot be used when you are in combat.

Now I know that this probably isn't the best solution, but it is the best I can come up with. What do the rest of you think? Is there a better option out there or do you like the idea of an temporary invulnerability skill?

---

tl;dr:

Temporary invulnerability non-combat skill for when you need to step away from the keyboard briefly.  Good idea or is there a better option?

EcgDPHh.gif

Just log out or go try to hide somewhere to afk. You may get ganked you may not. Consider it a gamble. a 5 minute invulnerable buff people will wait you out to kill you. Log out or go back to your EK or hide. That should be all you can do.

Edited by Fruitfly

It sounds like you will be able to freely go to and from your EK and the campaigns. I'd expect that is what people will do.

Of course this could be abused depending on the mechanics... (hopefully there will be a limit on how often you can transfer locations and hopefully there will be a countdown timer like other games have before the transfer happens)

What kinda fancy lad coward suggestion is this?  Yer tha first victim we will be sendin ta pay a visit to ol Davey Jones.  Maybe even while yer AFK lubber.

They already said there won't be swimming! So that might be hard! 

Unless that's your guild leader ;)

It sounds like you will be able to freely go to and from your EK and the campaigns. I'd expect that is what people will do.

Of course this could be abused depending on the mechanics... (hopefully there will be a limit on how often you can transfer locations and hopefully there will be a countdown timer like other games have before the transfer happens)

Your character will have 2 different "templates". One in the campaign and other in the EK. There's not teleporting between those locations. You will have to logout from the campaign to login in EK and vice versa.

With only poison in my veins!

cm5oDMm.png