Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Meridian

Sheaths, Scabbards, Loops, And Holsters

I would like to put my two cents in on something that has bugged me since i first rolled up my toon in DAoC. I would like to see the addition of sheaths, scabbards, loops, and holsters associated with our characters' weapons they have equipped. Maybe someone in the gaming industry can explain to me why they are so neglected, yet archers always get quivers packed with arrows? Is there an inherent difficulty with designing and animating these items? In this day and age, it doesn't seem like too much of an ask, even with the various sizes/shapes of swords.

I know Crowfall is not aiming to be the bastion of realism, but I started to think about it after seeing the knight animation video again. How cool would it be to see characters pull a weapon out of a scabbard that remains hanging from their belt? I want to see that added texture to a character! Not just a sword affixed by some invisible glue to the hero's back or hip, but an additional little touch that stays present even after the weapon has been taken out would add a lot to it! Even sillier when it's resting over a cape or cloak.

As an additional thought, perhaps this worked as an additional item slot, where the player could upgrade their scabbard. Magic items like these exist in tabletop roleplaying games that provide a nominal bonus to the weapon that rests in them.

If any of you have more ideas to piggyback on it, please share! I'm excited about this game, and would be even more so knowing it was one of the first MMO's I could see my character literally sheathing their weapon after battle!

Edited by meridian

Meridian
[TG] The Guardians | Discord: Meridian#7510 | No, not that Meridian.

Sort of related, I feel like it'd be cool to see them actually have a Non-combat vs Ready for Combat mode, which takes a second or two to transition (improved by a skill perhaps?).  Not sure if it'd work, but it's always something I've thought was cool in real world combat that being prepared for battle, and our ability to pull out a weapon and aim in the first place is often a big part of the skill of success.

That said, again, "cool" does not equal "would work" or "could be implemented," but I'd love to see them look into it.

It's one of those little details that I agree would add a lot of atmosphere but yep probably too much time and energy for the return on investment. Thanks for sharing your ideas, keep 'em coming.

I like the idea, but it having functionality would be nice. Like being able to see if someone has a weapon (see a scabbard), making it be harder to carry a weapon without scabbard etc.

Cool idea though, and yes it would likely increase cost of arming but... how often do you have to replace a scabbard?

"Fear not now for your mortal life, for your sanctum is here among the dead."

Almost every time you get a new weapon, which is quite often in MMOs.

And since this game has the idea that, no matter what, all weapons degrade with time (at least in campaigns, weapons used for cosmetics in EKs I think last until they're actually used), there will be a LOT of weapon replacing.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Sort of related, I feel like it'd be cool to see them actually have a Non-combat vs Ready for Combat mode, which takes a second or two to transition (improved by a skill perhaps?).  Not sure if it'd work, but it's always something I've thought was cool in real world combat that being prepared for battle, and our ability to pull out a weapon and aim in the first place is often a big part of the skill of success.

That said, again, "cool" does not equal "would work" or "could be implemented," but I'd love to see them look into it.

What reason would there be to go non-ready? Whatever it is should be part of an existing system, not something added just to justify scabbards.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

What reason would there be to go non-ready? Whatever it is should be part of an existing system, not something added just to justify scabbards.

If there was such a thing, hopefully it'd involve slowing down, finding more deliberate footing, and setting your center of gravity. None of which have anything whatsoever to do with a need for scabbards and the like.

I think the trick is not to have this a seperate item, so if u have sword A you have scabbard A looks on ur char, and Sword B would have Scabbard B. The only problem is its gonna cause a little more time to make each weapon due to having to make a scabbard to go with dev wise, and it might slow game performance ever so slightly with the 1 extra thing to load on every char or what not maybe?

Veeshan Midst of UXA

I think the trick is not to have this a seperate item, so if u have sword A you have scabbard A looks on ur char, and Sword B would have Scabbard B. The only problem is its gonna cause a little more time to make each weapon due to having to make a scabbard to go with dev wise, and it might slow game performance ever so slightly with the 1 extra thing to load on every char or what not maybe?

I don't think the OP proposed it as a separate item. We are all just concerned that with the number of swords that they will have to make scabbards for, it will be too expensive to be feasible.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

I can go either way on this. It would be nice to have but a very low priority as far as art goes.

I personally wouldn't mind a no scabbard with a welding weapon animation (pulling out of air). What I would like is to still have a weapon ready stance and a weapon put away 'neutral' stance. With your weapon away it could perhaps increase your movement speed. Good for fleeing or chasing down someone in combat.

I don't think the OP proposed it as a separate item. We are all just concerned that with the number of swords that they will have to make scabbards for, it will be too expensive to be feasible.

You are correct here. I intended only that there would be an additonal texture designed to fit around the weapon and stays on the person even when the weapon is equipped in hand. I won't pretend to understand all the issues that it may have and I recognize the theorhetical costs associated with a cosmetic. That still doesn't stop me from dreaming about it. This game is already breaking ground (no pun intended) on a lot of it's systems. I'd just be exstatic if somehow etiher this team or some MMO team could nail this in a feasible way.

Thanks to all for the support. It looks like, despite the costs associated, that this is something people want to see happen someday.

Meridian
[TG] The Guardians | Discord: Meridian#7510 | No, not that Meridian.

Along with the quality of having scabbards and such, it would be nice if huge back drawn swords were not in scabbards since that's patently ridiculous, and either have them in side sheaths anyway, or in latches of some sort that could actually release a sword...

It would also be interesting if they didn't just throw pole arms and other long weapons in imaginary loops, the player can just carry them in their hand even out of combat, drawing your sword and pulling your shield off your back could actually require a command and animation, leaving you more vulnerable to surprise attack, while perhaps being unacceptable to draw weapons in controlled areas like a keep or hall.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Could be really awesome though I don't really need to have a seperate inventory slot just to represent the sheath.

Would be nice if it were just a visual thing though.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Yeah while I agree it would be a cool idea, ACE has stated that they are specifically keeping character details simple to decrease server load and increase performance. At the end of the day I will be much more satisfied with the game running smoother with large amounts of people on screen then I would having a cool extra sheath to show when I am in and out of combat.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

The Templar has a scabbard already it seems:

Crowfall_T1Gameplay2.jpg

While I can't be sure this will apply to every archetype and weapon combination and maybe it's only for this pre-alpha archetype model. So, it might not make it in-game at all, for reasons others pointed out already, but it does look pretty cool I have to admit.  :)

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Yeah while I agree it would be a cool idea, ACE has stated that they are specifically keeping character details simple to decrease server load and increase performance. At the end of the day I will be much more satisfied with the game running smoother with large amounts of people on screen then I would having a cool extra sheath to show when I am in and out of combat.

Capes are infinitely more demanding than sheaths, and we have Centaurs, Wings, Mounts and Pets... Sheaths should be really easy to apply...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P