Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sheaths, Scabbards, Loops, And Holsters

Capes are infinitely more demanding than sheaths, and we have Centaurs, Wings, Mounts and Pets... Sheaths should be really easy to apply...

Oh I absolutely agree, but I read a post from a game developer a while back and it was about generating character feel and player accomplishment as based on their gear. Capes, Helmets, and Shoulder armor all had the highest "Cool" factor so it was usually the lowest drop chance/hardest to get. My post was more about not adding more just because as opposed to what would maximize performance overall.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

If we are being practical, Sheath objects could be used to preserve weapons, especially given equipment decay in this game, their more practical than capes, which are in this game, they can also be worked into the quality of a weapon.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

If we are being practical, Sheath objects could be used to preserve weapons, especially given equipment decay in this game, their more practical than capes, which are in this game, they can also be worked into the quality of a weapon.

Are you implying some sort of rust machanic were if your blade is left outside the scabbard it rust ( degrades quicker, loses sharpness, less damage, and a cosmetic change)

Are you implying some sort of rust machanic were if your blade is left outside the scabbard it rust ( degrades quicker, loses sharpness, less damage, and a cosmetic change)

Sort of. The Devs said that, no matter what, all items decay, including a decay over time (In the Campaigns, not sure if the same happens in EK but I doubt it). Every day they lose some of their durability, and every time you repair an item the durability decreases, leading to the inevitable destruction of everything (weapons, armor, figurines, etc). Having Scabbards decrease or temporarily halt decay (can't protect a drawn weapon, after all) wouldn't be that bad an idea if they're a separate item, but it might take time to implement unless they already have this in mind. Like someone posted previously though, it looks like scabbards already exist to some extent since the Templar had one on her back while her weapon was out.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Capes are infinitely more demanding than sheaths, and we have Centaurs, Wings, Mounts and Pets... Sheaths should be really easy to apply...

Sheaths would actually be more demanding, because you would need one for every weapon. You can get away with having like 20 capes in a game, swords, particularly the way crafting works, will come in much greater numbers.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

There could be one sheath for each type of weapon. 

I agree with the OP and I would add that a game where physics make sense looks better than a game with more detailed artwork. Magically appearing swords really destroy the feeling of being a non-magic using swordsmen.

Edited by Holyvigil

I absolutely agree. I also agree with the OP, and would like to add that those touches are the small amounts of detail that have big rewards.  They let you as a player feel more immersed in the world and you feel a connection to your avatar in my opinion, usually because the other option that developers seem to use is the out of combat sword/axe/spear/weapon "complete disappearance" situation, which looks so bad.

There could be one sheath for each type of weapon. 

I agree with the OP and I would add that a game where physics make sense looks better than a game with more detailed artwork. Magically appearing swords really destroy the feeling of being a non-magic using swordsmen.

But "Magically" running through a stone fortress wall on a non magic using Knight doesnt ruin the immersion? Just making sure I get this.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

But "Magically" running through a stone fortress wall on a non magic using Knight doesnt ruin the immersion? Just making sure I get this.

In MMOs, it is rare you see a player character that actually doesn't use magic. Knights generally have attacks that magically enhance a normal sword strike, such as ridiculous charges, debuffs, and AOE ground strikes. Being able to channel that kind of magic to bust through a wall doesn't seem that strange to me. It'so what separates Eternal Hero Knights from mortal knights.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

In MMOs, it is rare you see a player character that actually doesn't use magic. Knights generally have attacks that magically enhance a normal sword strike, such as ridiculous charges, debuffs, and AOE ground strikes. Being able to channel that kind of magic to bust through a wall doesn't seem that strange to me. It'so what separates Eternal Hero Knights from mortal knights.

While I agree with this, I was demonstrating that in a world of magic in a VIDEO GAME, you cant have expectations of perfectly realistic everything. Each piece added is a sacrifice to performance, and in a game where they want to have hundred of characters on screen at the same time, each moving, swinging, casting and demolishing each other, performance is what matters. Ounces make pounds as all those little additions pile up.

The Templar has a scabbard already it seems:

[pic]

While I can't be sure this will apply to every archetype and weapon combination and maybe it's only for this pre-alpha archetype model. So, it might not make it in-game at all, for reasons others pointed out already, but it does look pretty cool I have to admit.  :)

Holy crap! How did I miss this? One can hope they can make it work, despite the technical implications and load on the servers.

bfca27b907346e0ef0d4868996fb92fb_origina

MERIDIAN
[TG] The Guardians | Discord: Meridian#7510
Solopreneur of Aqualith Media
(No, not that Meridian.)

Graphics don't create server load; drawing the scabbard is client side.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

• 2 weeks later...

Along with the quality of having scabbards and such, it would be nice if huge back drawn swords were not in scabbards since that's patently ridiculous, and either have them in side sheaths anyway, or in latches of some sort that could actually release a sword...

It would also be interesting if they didn't just throw pole arms and other long weapons in imaginary loops, the player can just carry them in their hand even out of combat, drawing your sword and pulling your shield off your back could actually require a command and animation, leaving you more vulnerable to surprise attack, while perhaps being unacceptable to draw weapons in controlled areas like a keep or hall.

To be honest I wouldn't like back mounted weapons at all. Historically back mountings weren't really used all that much, drawing a weapon from your back is a very awkward thing to have to do. Anything big enough that it couldn't be hip mounted was generally carried in one hand, resting on the shoulder. Plus I think back-sheaths generally look stupid.

But yeah, I'm going to go with the crowd and say that I'm not really sure sheaths are worth having at all. I'd only want them if the game were a full-on medieval warfare sim, where not having a good sheath would expose your weapons to rust and other wear and tear.

I'm pro realism personally, it would be cool if there was a time delay before combat could start needed for the player to unsheathe his weapon. Would give a split second more time to counter when peaceful negotiations turn sour.

But I understand why most mmo developers steer away from sheaths and the like. For starters it's extra coding for fluff, secondly you can't cater for all weapons. Swords come in different shapes and sizes which would me more work. Some weapons don't even have a sheath (as far as I know), like big ass swords/axes or polearms and the like, but players would want to be able to unequip so they can be hands-free

So though I like the idea it has practicality issues.

I like the idea but from a realistic standpoint (ironically), we can't have that level of realism I think. Just from an MMO standpoint, you want to reduce lag as much as possible and animation and graphics are the two big ones. Even though the graphics are down on the game, we can't have 200 people fighting in the background, buildings falling, and also have to worry about a guy in the front looking nice putting away his sword. Plus it is still an MMO, so when hopping to a combat stance, you want it to be quick and not need to worry about a 3-5 second animation of a guy drawing a sword.

I am very for this, while i do enjoy seeing the weapon that someone is carrying, having a sheath juts makes so much sense, not to mention like no other game even bothers to attempt it. Having it be protected (or reduced) general wear is a good idea. The problem comes from if you have a weapon with an exotic shape, like a oddly shaped sword (see anything from games like wow) that just dont really fit into a scabbard. If they make all weapons simple and able to fit, the they tend to be rather bland looking, The claymore that the Templar wields looks cool, but its also generic and I hope not the look that she will be using after months of play.