Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thenebrosity

Facebook Bought Oculus Rift - Should The Crowfall Staff Still Honor The Oculus Rift Kickstarter Reward?

So since Facebook owns Oculus Rift we can probably say goodbye to all the hope and dreams the gaming community had for VR gaming being spear headed by OR's VR Tech; a sentiment shared by many top gaming devs (Minecraft dropped all development for the Oculus Rift).

Also, the high likelihood of Facebook sneaking in some "we have the right to see what you are seeing at any given time through our Oculus Rift goggles" clause into their Terms of Use agreement is, to say the least, unnerving.. I personally don't feel comfortable  supporting Oculus anymore and I really think the CF team should delay putting any Kickstarter resources into specifically Oculus Rift driven VR. If anything perhaps make a "generic" VR option available so people with a HTC Vive VR Headset, Sony Morpheus, etc. can plug in and play.

What do you guys think? You guys prepared to sell your Crowfall Soul to Facebook? Sure it's been a while since FB rekt Oculus but haven't seen an opinion thread.

Should the Crowfall team still be obligated to honor the Oculus Rift Kickstarter reward? I'd be curious to get CF Team perspective on this.

Edited by thenebrosity

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Facebook bought them long before the kickstarter announcement...

Well if you follow business or gaming news, this is nothing new.

Was watching an interview last night where they were talking about using Oculus to Monetize on people's "viewing habits and to use them for marketing purposes.. the "habits" would be pulled from device "meta data" that is sent in from devices.. that's pretty typical of Facebook but I guess I should have made my thread more focused on the idea of expanding support to other VR headsets like the HTC Vive VR Headset.

Edited by thenebrosity

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

They talked about other VR systems in the stretch goal announcement...

Dude... come on...

lol poorly made socks man.. I shouldn't write on the forums when I have a fever over 100.. I'm literally sweating right now as if in a sauna.. XD

OQa1xvz.png?1

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

lol poorly made socks man.. I shouldn't write on the forums when I have a fever over 100.. I'm literally sweating right now as if in a sauna.. XD

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

yeah I just flew back from San Francisco and caught a bug or something.. probably from the airport..

Edited by thenebrosity

OQa1xvz.png?1

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

I don't think VR for this game is going to be very popular at first if at all. This is the one thing I don't agree with ACE doing at this time. Again resources could be spent elsewhere.

I don't think VR for this game is going to be very popular at first if at all. This is the one thing I don't agree with ACE doing at this time. Again resources could be spent elsewhere.

my understanding is that the Unity engine they are using has native VR support, so the stretch goal was not difficult to add

i could be wrong here...but hey, if the stretch was hit, they have the budget for it, eh?

could just be me...i could care less about VR either way

FIQw0eP.png

my understanding is that the Unity engine they are using has native VR support, so the stretch goal was not difficult to add

i could be wrong here...but hey, if the stretch was hit, they have the budget for it, eh?

True. I wish we could get a figure on how much is actually going towards it. I guess if it is already integrated it might not be too bad. But if it is like $50,000 going toward it that is a waste in my eyes.

I just think this is an extra to add later. But like you said it was reached in stretch goal and I have confidence in ACE knowing what they are doing. Can't win them all lol.

Yeah I remember reading this...

Please allow me to derail my own thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU

giphy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU

OQa1xvz.png?1

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

Was watching an interview last night where they were talking about using Oculus to Monetize on people's "viewing habits and to use them for marketing purposes.. the "habits" would be pulled from device "meta data" that is sent in from devices.. that's pretty typical of Facebook...

Had to stop there...  it's typical of all internet websites (with any interest in marketing).  Why else do you think Amazon sends you E-Mails about something you were looking at two days ago?  Or your "recommendations" showing something you were just looking at?  Or ads doing the same thing?  As much as I DESPISE Facebook, vilifying them for what's become a standard practice is just absurd.

I'm with Doc though, don't care.  VR isn't anything I have any interest in.  I played a VR Duke Nukem in SF back in the late 90s and thought it was terribly cool, but to do it daily...  meh.  I also don't have a 3D TV and couldn't care less about it.

Edited by rhone

Backer goal?

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Backer goal?

????????????

it was one of the KS stretch goals was it not?

sorry, just didn't pay much attention after Minotaurs.....

heh

FIQw0eP.png