Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FenrisDDevil

Tera (Free To Play)

The fact that you feel the way a game is at level 10, is the way it's going to be the entire time, shows you know little to nothing about action combat games.

Also, Wildstar is a crap game.   :(   I waited so long for it to come out and hated every moment that I played it.  It manages to feel even more grindy than Tera does.

Hey I'm just a consumer and the problem I have is that I don't enjoy the movement.  Wildstar feels nothing like Tera.  I'm not sure what your definition of "action combat" is but mine doesn't include being rooted in place every time I press a button.

I got a 50 zerker... Nice Dps, but when everyone just points and laughs at you because you cant gap close its not fun ( that might of changed over the years ) I would just stand next to healers and hit the people that came to beat on him lol. 

Yes it has changed.

I can't stand the rooting during animations.  I leveled 4 classes to 10 and it was the same for every class:

press action, rooted, move next action rooted.

Why is it so hard to just let me jump and swing wildly, it's literally 10x more fun.

You're going to have to level a lot farther than that to really get a feel for the classes. Honestly I'd say 40+ which is pretty fast in this game since leveling is so easy. But as for animation locking, it's more skillful for a lot of reasons. But once you understand it more and can play it better, you won't feel rooted since you'll smoothly go from one skill to another. You're not rooted in one spot but your character is moving in specific ways. Much better way to do it. Either way, that's what ACE is doing so you better learn to love it. 

Started up on the RP server. Slayer and Sorcerer. Wanted to try Mystic too, but apparently limited to two character slots. Which is silly, since you could just create another account, it's free. So why limit slots?

A lot of people like having all their characters on the same account. For one thing if you purchase the monthly sub, those benefits are account wide. Also your bank is shared amongst all your characters so there are a lot of untradeable items that you can trade between alts that way, or just the convenience of having all your stuff easily accessible in one place. No mailing back and forth.

Edited by leiloni

Hey I'm just a consumer and the problem I have is that I don't enjoy the movement.  Wildstar feels nothing like Tera.  I'm not sure what your definition of "action combat" is but mine doesn't include being rooted in place every time I press a button.

As mentioned, animation lock makes sense for many moves.  That aside, there are animation breaks (tumbling, blocking, etc.) for moves as well...  you just have to know how and when to do it.  But since you played a whole 10 levels I'm certain you figured that out, right?  Or are you under the belief that you should be able to stop every single attack midway and perform something new?  How ridiculous would that be?  That aside, in Tera most moves SEND you a certain direction (usually forward), not root you in place.  The exception tends to be most Sorcerer skills.  So, again, not rooted...  just locked.

On the other hand, I hated Wildstar's movement and animation and skills and questing and...  ...  well, about everything.  Like I said, I was very excited for the game and hate that I hate it so much.  I really wanted to like it and stuck with it much longer than I wanted to or should have.

Edited by rhone

I've 2 characters at 65 but stopped after, the game is the same themepark treadmill, kill tons of mobs, change hub, change zone, end game is the same timesink of gear and enchants like all the korean mmos, separate pvp and pve, battlegrounds, dungeons and nothing more to do.

A great graphic design, animations, backgrounds, music and a good action combat (not fully action since it have locks) wasted with the same generic concept and features. :|

Edited by kdchan

Archduchess Alice

end game is the same timesink of gear and enchants like all the korean mmos

This basically is why I stopped playing it.  Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because I DESPISE RNG based enchanting, especially when it's so costly and time consuming.

and a good action combat (not fully action since it have locks)

Curious where that definition of action combat is written.  That's like saying Doom isn't a FPS because you can't aim up.

Pretty much quit when I got my gear to +15 awakened on my zerker. No real reason to play now, seems VM5 will be lower end than awakened vm4. Who knows.

I'm just curious, do people that hate being "rooted" during the skills in Tera also hate fighting games?  Fighting games also do not let you slide around the screen while spamming your attacks.  i.e. animation locks.  It's the same mechanic.

Also, for anyone that hates the animation locks of Tera, can I ask what class you went with?  I suggest trying out the Warrior to get a better feel, at a lower level, of how even with animation locks, you can be very mobile.  But as leiloni pointed out, unfortunately, only getting to level ~5-10 is not going to give you enough abilities to allow the combat to feel fluid yet.  Think of if a fighting game only gave you 3 moves, how boring that would be.  By level ~20-30 is when the combat really begins to shine.  My main gripe with Tera is how long they make the grind (it's Korean, after all).  I can see why people quit early, tbh.

Edited by mourne

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I made an archer and the animation locks are pretty terrible on it. At level 65 I have two or three attacks that shoot me backwards, and two that I can move while charging. Most of the best ones require me to be stationary for at least a few seconds. A lot of my gear focus and glyph points go toward faster attack speeds, for those reasons.

Recently Archer got a skill that can knockback an entire group.. but it has a really easy to see/avoid telegraph and the animation lock is so long that you often end up knocked down or stunned before it fires. Works well against the AI, use is more limited in PvP.

I think the point is really that the class is meant to play "behind the front lines", and the CC skills + animation locks reflect that. Still, it can be really annoying.

I'm just curious, do people that hate being "rooted" during the skills in Tera also hate fighting games?  Fighting games also do not let you slide around the screen while spamming your attacks.  i.e. animation locks.  It's the same mechanic.

Also, for anyone that hates the animation locks of Tera, can I ask what class you went with?  I suggest trying out the Warrior to get a better feel, at a lower level, of how even with animation locks, you can be very mobile.  But as leiloni pointed out, unfortunately, only getting to level ~5-10 is not going to give you enough abilities to allow the combat to feel fluid yet.  Think of if a fighting game only gave you 3 moves, how boring that would be.  By level ~20-30 is when the combat really begins to shine.  My main gripe with Tera is how long they make the grind (it's Korean, after all).  I can see why people quit early, tbh.

I tried, Lancer, Sorcerer, Archer and Priest.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me the way the animation locking works.  It's like having a hitch in your getty up if you will.  I've played plenty of other games that don't require your character to just be akwardly be rooted in place/animation while it performs and action.

Edited by facerip

I tried, Lancer, Sorcerer, Archer and Priest.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me the way the animation locking works. It's like having a hitch in your getty up if you will. I've played plenty of other games that don't require your character to just be akwardly be rooted in place/animation while it performs and action.

I feel the same way. I think more casual type players prefer the animation lock because it removes a lot of the "twitch" type skill

Most likely it depends on your gaming background. Come from EQ, WOW, call of duty and battlefield you most likely hate animation lock. Come from turn based games and moba's animation lock is okay

7d4g0V5.png

I feel the same way. I think more casual type players prefer the animation lock because it removes a lot of the "twitch" type skill

Animation locking definitely requires a great deal of skill and is an intricate system if you know what you're doing (which clearly you two don't). But what's better about it as well is that it punishes mistakes and newbies actually will have it harder than someone from GW2 or Wildstar, where you can "run and gun". There's little punishment for bad decisions in those games in comparison to something like TERA. Stop trying to fight against the game and run all over when the game is not designed for them. Go along with how combat should work and you'll find it quite enjoyable.

Edited by leiloni

Most likely it depends on your gaming background. Come from EQ, WOW, call of duty and battlefield you most likely hate animation lock. Come from turn based games and moba's animation lock is okay

I played EQ on launch day and for years afterward. Dozens of MMOs since then. Never a moba. The animation lock doesn't bother me at all.

I actually just started playing it because of the dev's statements. The animation lock feels more natural to me. It's not like, if a person was swinging around a 7 foot sword, that they could move their feet. They'd be instantly off-balance and tumbling. This feels much more "real" to me than games that allow you to swing while flitting about as if the sword weighed nothing.

I've never swung a sword in anger, but I have chopped down trees. I can promise you that my feet were firmly planted when swinging axe or maul. It's foolish to contemplate anything else, unless you're hoping to lose a foot.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Can someone compare it to dark souls combat in the higher levels?

I admit, it's pretty clunky at the beginning and everyone here keeps saying it'll get better when reaching a higher level.

Take a weapon from Dark Souls (1 or 2, don't care) and compare the amount of animation lock to TERA.

I want to know if I'll be able to stick it out ;)

Thx in advance.

Can someone compare it to dark souls combat in the higher levels?

I admit, it's pretty clunky at the beginning and everyone here keeps saying it'll get better when reaching a higher level.

Take a weapon from Dark Souls (1 or 2, don't care) and compare the amount of animation lock to TERA.

I want to know if I'll be able to stick it out ;)

Thx in advance.

You could have easily leveled up to higher levels in the amount of time you spend on the forums talking about it. Leveling is stupidly fast and easy in this game. Either decide you care enough to find out for yourself, or stop whining about it and move on to another game.

Edited by leiloni