Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FenrisDDevil

Tera (Free To Play)

You could have easily leveled up to higher levels in the amount of time you spend on the forums talking about it. Leveling is stupidly fast and easy in this game. Either decide you care enough to find out for yourself, or stop whining about it and move on to another game.

someone's a lil touchy today :)

I feel the same way. I think more casual type players prefer the animation lock because it removes a lot of the "twitch" type skill

I would argue that no animation lock is more casual because you don't have to worry about the consequences of charging up a strong skill, because hey...  you can always just move.

You could have easily leveled up to higher levels in the amount of time you spend on the forums talking about it. Leveling is stupidly fast and easy in this game. Either decide you care enough to find out for yourself, or stop whining about it and move on to another game.

Fact is many of us have breaking points, I can't stand playing tera more than 30 minutes per day.. the quest system and the overall feeling of the game gives me nausea.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

I made an archer and the animation locks are pretty terrible on it. At level 65 I have two or three attacks that shoot me backwards, and two that I can move while charging. Most of the best ones require me to be stationary for at least a few seconds. A lot of my gear focus and glyph points go toward faster attack speeds, for those reasons.

That's funny because Archers are still one of the hardest to catch classes in the game.  That aside, I think it's silly to expect an archer's strongest attacks to allow them to be mobile.

I can't stand playing tera more than 30 minutes per day.. the quest system and the overall feeling of the game gives me nausea.

I feel that way about most games out right now.   =\   Need.  Something.  Fun.  Even the quality of console games has plummeted.

Animation locking definitely requires a great deal of skill and is an intricate system if you know what you're doing (which clearly you two don't). But what's better about it as well is that it punishes mistakes and newbies actually will have it harder than someone from GW2 or Wildstar, where you can "run and gun". There's little punishment for bad decisions in those games in comparison to something like TERA. Stop trying to fight against the game and run all over when the game is not designed for them. Go along with how combat should work and you'll find it quite enjoyable.

Less movement = less skill.

For example real time strategy games like Starcraft, require far more skill then a turn based strategy game like Xcom or Final fantasy tactics.

7d4g0V5.png

For example real time strategy games like Starcraft, require far more skill then a turn based strategy game like Xcom or Final fantasy tactics.

Oh, wow. Well. You're done.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Fact is many of us have breaking points, I can't stand playing tera more than 30 minutes per day.. the quest system and the overall feeling of the game gives me nausea.

The time it took you to post this, you could've easily done another quest! you lazy bum! stop complaining!

Can someone compare it to dark souls combat in the higher levels?

I admit, it's pretty clunky at the beginning and everyone here keeps saying it'll get better when reaching a higher level.

Take a weapon from Dark Souls (1 or 2, don't care) and compare the amount of animation lock to TERA.

I've played both extensively and that's not the best way to compare them, but if that's what you want... A geared Warrior's basic attack is like a Dagger R1. While a Zerker's Flatten is more like a Smelter Hammer R1. The wide range of different speeds and recovery times available even within the same class is important to the gameplay, as your initial decision of which button to press decides how much time you're committing to.

2 years ago in an identical thread I logged into TERA and did a few random scrubby fights with a max level Warrior to illustrate this exact same point. It's not good gameplay but here's the video if it helps.

Starcraft locks units into an animation when they attack. That's why something like this is interesting, because any attempt to attack involves a commitment, and from one moment to the next the player needs to decide if and when to use an attack. Even though the player only has one attack and the attack is auto-aimed, the fight is apparently still exciting. It is made exciting because the player cannot move and attack at the same time.

That was such a terrible example that I'm not sure if you were even serious.

Edited by TeoH

I've played both extensively and that's not the best way to compare them, but if that's what you want... A geared Warrior's basic attack is like a Dagger R1. While a Zerker's Flatten is more like a Smelter Hammer R1. The wide range of different speeds and recovery times available even within the same class is important to the gameplay, as your initial decision of which button to press decides how much time you're committing to.

2 years ago in an identical thread I logged into TERA and did a few random scrubby fights with a max level Warrior to illustrate this exact same point. It's not good gameplay but here's the video if it helps.

well thx for answering, but you were right, that didn't really help me ;)

Dagger and smelter sword are pretty different...

ya dunno, maybe I am just looking for an excuse not to play it, because I just can't be arsed to do another quest at all, let alone level a whole character.

When I tried it a few weeks ago, I managed to get to lvl 3, then logged out, because I was bored out of my mind. Not necesserarily TERA's fault... guess I should go for the full experience and make one of these pedo-bait characters and RP a little girl. Maybe that'll do the trick :huh:

little girl.

The attack speed stat changes how quickly all of your animations play, which speeds up every part of the character's attack. Since many attacks have movement during their animations, when you increase how quickly the animations are played, you increase the speed at which you move during these abilities. With high attack speed, many attacks which seem to have slow forwards movement at low levels suddenly start to move you around faster than your actual running speed. This turns stepping and dashing attacks into mini-gap closers, and since these attacks can be aimed in any direction they also double as evasive dodges in and out of range or around characters. The different races come in many different sizes, but the actual range of their attacks is similar. This is achieved by having different race animations where shorter characters move further forwards during their attacks to compensate for their shorter reach.

Guess which race has the most forwards movement in all of their melee attacks, making them the most mobile race in the game.

I don't have any geared melee toons but I made some gifs with another one to show the race and attack speed differences with animations. I can't give you perfect side by side or whatever, but you get the idea so I'm sure you can imagine the effect it has on other combat skills.

I can tell you having played the same class extensively on both of these races, the difference in speed between races and also with higher attack speed vs lower or no attack speed, is immediately noticeable in game.

Castanic No Attack Speed:

yYWUhHJ.gif

Elin No Attack Speed:

Cujg8DU.gif

Elin High Attack Speed:

cXfEgxN.gif

That's funny because Archers are still one of the hardest to catch classes in the game.  That aside, I think it's silly to expect an archer's strongest attacks to allow them to be mobile.

Has nothing to do with attack strength expectations, it's just the basic aspect of "longer animation lock = more annoyance". It has been improving as I upgrade gear and glyphs, but ugh. When I first got Rain of Arrows, I could rarely use it in Corsairs'. The animation was so long that I'd usually end up knocked down by siege fire or stunned/leashed/etc before it ever went off.

Being hard to catch and doing enough damage to kill anyone are separate things. If you can iframe the charge-up shots.. it's tough for an archer to get enough damage out there to really pressure in 1v1 (in my experience). Unless I can get them with a stun trap or I have a teammate to facetank, I'm stuck nickle and diming damage most of the time.

The attack speed stat changes how quickly all of your animations play, which speeds up every part of the character's attack. Since many attacks have movement during their animations, when you increase how quickly the animations are played, you increase the speed at which you move during these abilities. With high attack speed, many attacks which seem to have slow forwards movement at low levels suddenly start to move you around faster than your actual running speed. This turns stepping and dashing attacks into mini-gap closers, and since these attacks can be aimed in any direction they also double as evasive dodges in and out of range or around characters. The different races come in many different sizes, but the actual range of their attacks is similar. This is achieved by having different race animations where shorter characters move further forwards during their attacks to compensate for their shorter reach.

Guess which race has the most forwards movement in all of their melee attacks, making them the most mobile race in the game.

Sounds like the game would play a lot better if they gave everyone max attack speed and removed the stat from the game

7d4g0V5.png

Sounds like the game would play a lot better if they gave everyone max attack speed and removed the stat from the game

I certainly hope CF will be a lot more like this, since their intention is not to make people grind.