Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FenrisDDevil

Tera (Free To Play)

Or best would be not to have animation locks. Wtf is wrong with letting us use abilities while dodging enemy abilities

The same reason it would be wrong to block and throw punches in Street Fighter. It's a basic tenet of fair and balanced combat that when you attack you expose yourself to attack. 

If you want to see what happens when invulnerable people can attack you, go fight a pew pew ranger, S/D thi33333333333f, or double endure pain warrior as a zerker ele in GW2. It's a pretty terrible experience.

Edited by caffynated

OJN1n7E.png

Aside from the points above, it just makes for more interesting and dynamic gameplay. You don't just have two dudes dancing circles around each other dodging everything and trying their best to pew pew. Every choice you make matters, there are more strategies to consider, combat changes moment to moment based on decisions made by every party involved. It's still fast paced but it's also just more fun.

And yet they have a stat that reduces this animation lock and people stack it because 1. It's very powerful and 2.Just how much better the game feels with less animation lock. He'll people pick smaller characters because their animation locks are less noticeable

Animation lock is for people who can't handle fast action games

Show me a tera arena match that's this fast paced and exciting

Edited by Evade2015

7d4g0V5.png

My opinion is that tera makes the animation lock paradigm suck way more than it should by using it as a motivator to grind better gear. Once you get to the point where you actually get to experience your skills at the speed they should be, it is interesting.

I feel like, done correctly, it's more accurate to how I expect to fight. I need to set my feet to do a powerful attack and keep balance. It makes the battle feel very "grounded" in the physics of the world. They add to that with the Balance stat, and the fact that jumping basically invalidates it. If some idiot is actually jumping, it's very easy to knock them down in battle. Because, you know, their feet are not on the ground.

In a physics-based environment, I think that a certain degree of having to set your feet will feel "right".

And yet they have a stat that reduces this animation lock and people stack it because 1. It's very powerful and 2.Just how much better the game feels with less animation lock. He'll people pick smaller characters because their animation locks are less noticeable

It's a Korean gear grind MMO. Of course they want people to grind gear to get the stats they need. If they made combat perfect without gear, then nobody would grind the same content over and over and spend money on the cash shop to gear out. That's a stupid statement. Besides, ACE has already acknowledged that they won't be designing CF to have the same leveling issues. They want combat to feel fun from the start, so you'll have more skills and stats on gear will have less of an impact. That doesn't change the fact that TERA's endgame combat is quite fun, and ACE is taking a lot of idea from it - especially in the area of these animation locks.

Edit: You wanted videos. Sorry work is a little crazy today so I can't find the perfect video, but here are some good streamers.

http://www.twitch.tv/giraffex

http://www.twitch.tv/flowroro

http://www.twitch.tv/enviedimperfection

http://www.twitch.tv/yumcookies

They all have links on their pages to other people if you have the time. 

Sidenote, this guy has been streaming some of the server's recent GvG's. Personally I think some of these fights are a bit lackluster, but you can get an idea of how "Big" fights go with this combat (generally in this game, ~40 on a side feels big so a lot of fights have less than that). He's a great commenter, though haha.

http://www.twitch.tv/orcanaria

Edited by leiloni

It's a Korean gear grind MMO. Of course they want people to grind gear to get the stats they need.

Here's a thought. Give everyone max attack speed, effectively removing animation lock, and people can focus on other stats like attack power or brutality of whatever they call the stat that makes you hit harder

7d4g0V5.png

Here's a thought. Give everyone max attack speed, effectively removing animation lock, and people can focus on other stats like attack power or brutality of whatever they call the stat that makes you hit harder

Animation lock is a good thing. I think you may be missing the point. Besides, ACE is going to do it here so I'm not sure why you're trying to argue.

Animation lock is a good thing. I think you may be missing the point. Besides, ACE is going to do it here so I'm not sure why you're trying to argue.

If it's a good thing, then people would not be focusing on a stat that effectively removes or reduces it.

They were also going to have a telegraph system.

Simply because they've mentioned animation lock pre pre pre alpha, does not mean it'll make it in game. Things change

Edited by Evade2015

7d4g0V5.png

We collected a bunch of free codes for you guys who are interested in playing TERA :D The elite free days really help@@

1) Free Dragonette (7 days) pet, 100% XP boost (7 days). 100 % Gold boost (7 days): http://www.gameitems.com/get-your-tera-fate-of-arun-key-giveaway-828.html

2) Free Elite (3 days) key: elitefreedays

3) Free Khan (3 days) Tiger 280 speed tiger mount key: Z3L1NN1NJ4R34P3R848YWH4TX

Enjoy!! ^_^

Edited by cuddlesthepanda

HECIfKy.jpg

Sugoi - Student Council President

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1Xn4-_5WU

Not Tera, but another game heavy on animation locks.

Edited by caffynated

OJN1n7E.png

If it's a good thing, then people would not be focusing on a stat that effectively removes or reduces it.

It doesn't remove it. Combat was built around endgame gear with fast attack speed as well as a number of other things. It's supposed to be like that, not the other way around. What game is built around low level combat? That's just dumb. Besides, animation lock doesn't mean slow. It just means that you're committing to an animation. So if a sword swing makes your character leap forward, then you can't just run in circles while casting it - you're going to leap forward until either you finish the animation, or you decide to cancel it.

They were also going to have a telegraph system.

Simply because they've mentioned animation lock pre pre pre alpha, does not mean it'll make it in game. Things change

If I were a bartender (again) I'd be cutting you off...

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

We collected a bunch of free codes for you guys who are interested in playing TERA :D The elite free days really help@@

1) Free Dragonette (7 days) pet, 100% XP boost (7 days). 100 % Gold boost (7 days): http://www.gameitems.com/get-your-tera-fate-of-arun-key-giveaway-828.html

2) Free Elite (3 days) key: elitefreedays

3) Free Khan (3 days) Tiger 280 speed tiger mount key: Z3L1NN1NJ4R34P3R848YWH4TX

Enjoy!! ^_^

this is just for NA.. :(

y9tj8G5.png

Something I noticed long ago is that linking people to videos of games that they don't play, and expecting them to see what you see in the footage is usually a waste of time. If they don't play the game then a video of the game won't make sense to them the way it does to you. Even if people could acknowledge each other's views and weren't obsessed with justifying their own position, it takes more than a video for most people to understand how the mechanics of a game work to create compelling gameplay. Take for example, your inability to understand how adding restrictions can create new options.

For the record though, I think your Stalker play is clumsy and dull to watch.

Something I noticed long ago is that linking people to videos of games that they don't play, and expecting them to see what you see in the footage is usually a waste of time. If they don't play the game then a video of the game won't make sense to them the way it does to you. Even if people could acknowledge each other's views and weren't obsessed with justifying their own position, it takes more than a video for most people to understand how the mechanics of a game work to create compelling gameplay. Take for example, your inability to understand how adding restrictions can create new options.

For the record though, I think your Stalker play is clumsy and dull to watch.

All they need to see is how fast paced non animation lock game play is. They don't need to understand what abilities or mechanics are going off since that wasn't the point.

As far as my stalker play, leave the insults out, they are unnecessary and does nothing to validate or invalidate my argument. Feel free to leave a comment on the actual video as ways I can improve, that would be nice

7d4g0V5.png

this is just for NA.. :(

Trust me, even if you're EU you should play NA. Much of the EU TERA population has been fleeing Gameforge's crapfest, so you won't be the only one. Come play on MT on NA. :) If you're worried about ping, you can ask them over at the subreddit. It's a frequent topic of conversation...

All they need to see is how fast paced non animation lock game play is. They don't need to understand what abilities or mechanics are going off since that wasn't the point.

The point we're making though with animation lock, is that it adds a lot more to combat that is more fun than merely "fast paced" gameplay. I am not a huge fan of something being fast just for the sake of being fast. It makes it harder to do certain things without adding anything interesting to make up for that. And it takes away some of the complexity and skill you can find in other styles of combat.

Edited by leiloni

leave the insults out

But you just suggested that I "can't handle fast action games" because I can understand what's interesting about TERA's mechanics?

Yeah, GREAT thought!  Make Bersekers and Slayers attack as fast as Warriors.  Brilliant!  *Facepalm*

Wtf is wrong with letting us use abilities while dodging enemy abilities

Really?  You actually need someone to tell you what's wrong with that?  *Double facepalm*

This guy cannot possibly actually believe all of the asinine crap he says.  He just...  can't...