Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mazh

New Archetype Leaked

Thank god for parody as a fair use exemption in US IP law! 

Parody is only a classification for protection if you can prove the Purpose, Nature, Percentage used, and Effect on the works value. As there is more then enough percentage used to make a case, do you really think a small studio like ACE would even want to take chances with a insulted studio taking them to court and chewing up resources?

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

Parody is only a classification for protection if you can prove the Purpose, Nature, Percentage used, and Effect on the works value. As there is more then enough percentage used to make a case, do you really think a small studio like ACE would even want to take chances with a insulted studio taking them to court and chewing up resources?

You're a real downer.

But I like him more than Fae-girl. Much more  :(

I really love the Fae. If they would make her into a new ranged, magical Archetype I'd be so happy. The race looks so cool, though.

Edited by leiloni

If Ubisoft feels like it needs to waste time/money/resources/lawyers to sue ACE over the image because of some kind of confusion due to the outfit, then they certainly could.  Anyone can sue anyone at any time if they want to waste.  But the Assassin's Creed outfit is not trademarked nor would it be protected by trademark as a clothing design.  Furthermore, even if the assassin's creed "character" was trademarked (which it isn't), there would need to be a sense of meaningful confusion.  Nor would it be copyright infringement because it's clearly not human, the outfit is not an exact match, and it has 3 "wolverine" claws.  Maybe Marvel should sue as well?  

I appreciate the concern, but if I were an ACE lawyer facing an Ubisoft lawsuit, I'd file a motion for summary judgment  or dismissal on fair use/parody/April 1 grounds and get the case taken care of ASAP.  It would cost Ubisoft more than ACE if done properly.  Plus the public backlash at Ubisoft would be quite intense :)

Gaunsaku

Elder, Lords of the Dead

lotd.org

If Ubisoft feels like it needs to waste time/money/resources/lawyers to sue ACE over the image because of some kind of confusion due to the outfit, then they certainly could.  Anyone can sue anyone at any time if they want to waste.  But the Assassin's Creed outfit is not trademarked nor would it be protected by trademark as a clothing design.  Furthermore, even if the assassin's creed "character" was trademarked (which it isn't), there would need to be a sense of meaningful confusion.  Nor would it be copyright infringement because it's clearly not human, the outfit is not an exact match, and it has 3 "wolverine" claws.  Maybe Marvel should sue as well?  

I appreciate the concern, but if I were an ACE lawyer facing an Ubisoft lawsuit, I'd file a motion for summary judgment  or dismissal on fair use/parody/April 1 grounds and get the case taken care of ASAP.  It would cost Ubisoft more than ACE if done properly.  Plus the public backlash at Ubisoft would be quite intense :)

It would be easy to paint the Goliath vs David comparisons.  Giant corporate gaming company goes after small start up servicing a different market within the gaming industry.

It would be easy to paint the Goliath vs David comparisons.  Giant corporate gaming company goes after small start up servicing a different market within the gaming industry

^^^ It LITERALLY happens all the time lol. Also please remember Ubisoft was the Publisher for Shadowbane. If you dont think companies keep an eye on former employee's to make sure their intellectual properties are protected, think again.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Why is this not simply a Duelist Promotion class though? 

Would work fine that way.

(yes I'm discussing what's possibly a joke/not real on it's possible merits, I don't care, it's an interesting and cool idea)

I'd be fine if this was nothing more than a skin/outfit though, because that'd be just awesome.

Edited by Osegrim

The most recent Assassin's Creed was an unmitigated disaster. If Ubisoft took ACE to court it would just look like a pathetic moneygrab, most likely gaining ACE a bunch of publicity in the process.

Edited by txteclipse

This looks very real to me, can't tell if it's a joke or not.

Though I laughed tears when I saw the picture that's for sure!

Love the idea, execution and lore~

Let's hope it's no joke and I gonna throw money at the screen, once I'm done rolling from tears. :ph34r:

Good luck in-game when there will be dozens of rats everywhere digging holes and traps.  :D

That's fine...as long as there is only ONE type of rat! I want Goblins/Orcs/Lizard men/Grobolds, ....hell give me the Saetors (Satyr) from old SB! Just no more rat archetypes please!

Edited by armegeddon

The most recent Assassin's Creed was an unmitigated disaster. If Ubisoft took ACE to court it would just look like a pathetic moneygrab, most likely gaining ACE a bunch of publicity in the process.

LOL wait... you mean THIS Ubisoft would care what it looked like?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/11/12/congratulations-ubisoft-youre-the-new-ea/

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/assassins-creed-unity-embargo/

Stop thinking they would care what their image is and remember this is a business about making money. Look at Trion and Archeage.