Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Greetings From An Mmo (Relative) Newbie

Hi all!

Long time gamer, short time MMOer here. I grew up gaming, Atari 2600 era and PC, then moved over to consoles with the Playstation. I fell out of PC gaming for a while in college (while I was poor and couldn't afford to build a nice rig) but got back into it after and haven't left since. It's by far my preferred platform for gaming but I do still do some console and portable gaming.

Compared to a lot of the MMO vets I've seen here, my MMO background is weaksauce. I love RPGs but I had never played an MMO until DCUO was released. The allure of playing in, what was at that time, one of my favorite worlds with some of my favorite characters, was enough to pull me in. That and the fact that my partner was willing to play with me. It was an interesting experience that certainly burned through a decent chunk of hours, but it wasn't a keeper for me. It also wasn't entertaining enough to get me further out into the MMO waters. That wouldn't come until ESO was released. I couldn't resist my favorite world, teeming with actual people. Of course, the things I loved so much about that world haven't exactly translated to ESO. But the experience of grouping up with randoms was an enjoyable one and encouraged me to branch out and give the genre another try. I've tried Rift, Archeage, LoTRO, SWTOR, Wildstar, Guild Wars 2, WoW, and FFXIV ARR to varying degrees of success. I'm not a fan of PvP generally or of raiding. I love gathering and crafting (which is why I still play FFXIV regularly.) I'm usually more of a solo player who is happy to group up for something that is challenging or just to assist if asked. When I do join a guild, it's always a small one.

So, with all that said, Crowfall doesn't exactly fall into my wheelhouse. Certainly the emphasis that is being placed on crafting is exciting to me, but a game built around PvP, that would seem a strange choice. But I really like the way the devs have talked about roles. I love the idea of being able to specialize to such a degree that perhaps I could just be part of a stone gathering crew or provide support to a caravan. I also like the notion of being forced out of my comfort zone with PvP and having to change the way I think about the world around me in game. Above all, it's a game that should foster community in a way that a lot of MMOs don't unless you actively seek it out. For a solo player like me, I think it will be an interesting change and one that I'm looking forward to.

I certainly welcome any and all tips, hints, lessons learned, etc given my relatively limited experience. I want to learn everything I can because Crowfall looks to be a fantastic opportunity to explore an area of MMOs I generally avoid. Thanks for your patience with this newbie!

Edited by NeverSated

71431_original.jpg

Welcome!

I'd avoided PvP like the plague till I hit it in Eve Online, and found it was strangely intoxicating when combined with some serious loss on death.  Hopefully you'll get the same thing, with less adrenaline shakes (and capital ship losses), out of Crowfall :D

I wouldn't call your resume that of a newbie, you've got plenty of games listed there!  o.O  That's a fair chunk of hard drive space if you have them all installed together!

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...

Welcome to the forums, Never! Don't worry too much about your lack of MMO experience, it looks like you've hit the major ones that are recently relevant. It's nice to see someone thinking about what niche they can fill outside of "There is an enemy, I will use my various skills to destroy it." Have fun, and I look forward to seeing you around the forums!

Cheers,

Amaze.

Thanks for the encouragement and warm welcomes everyone!

As far the question of archetypes Hobs, I've thought about it from a few angles. From a purely aesthetic approach, Frostweaver is incredibly appealing. However, I've never been big on magic classes so that will probably remain an "appreciate from the sidelines" archetype. The Duelist archetype seems a likely candidate at the moment. I love duel wielding, close combat classes and include specialization with the archetype and I'm definitely intrigued. Along those same lines, the Assassin is an archetype I'll be following closely as well.

Edited by NeverSated

71431_original.jpg

Come join the chaos!  :)

I too have barely played any MMO type games. The whole idea seemed fun, but I could never get into any of them. I look forward to having you kill me in the game world.  

Hi NeverSated,

Welcome to the community! It is truly great to have you with us.

I wanted to comment on one line in your introduction:

Certainly the emphasis that is being placed on crafting is exciting to me, but a game built around PvP, that would seem a strange choice. 

From where I sit the only way to make an MMO is to build it around PvP. Why you ask?

PvP content is the only non static game play out there. If you play through the "WoW Clone" generation of MMOs the progression is very linear and focused on getting the next piece of gear for your avatar. Once you have completed the content there is nothing new until the devs make more content (expansions).

Rift, SWTOR* , Wildstar, Aion and a slew of other games added PvP as an afterthought (always prioritizing PVE content). When players got to the end game the static content of the PVE world was not enough to hold people's interest (to players like me PvE end game content is like doing chores). With no compelling PvP at the end game ( to create infinite unique situations made by players)  these games dwindled into nothingness*.

When you build a game around PvP content the end game is not static. Infinate content exists as long as the world is compelling enough to go put your neck on the line. This is a fact that veteran MMOers have been shouting from rooftops for years, hoping that a developer like ArtCraft would hear us and come rescue us from poorly designed MMOs. 

There is of course more to it than this but to defend brevity I will stop here. I hope this helps you see why so many people are flocking to this community two years before any shot of seeing it in the wild.

Welcome!

Mandragon

*SWTOR is doing fine now but they went through a huge restructure and anyone who played it in the beginning will tell you what a joke Ilum was.

Wow Mandragon, that was a lovely argument in favor of building a game around PvP.

Granted, it was entirely unessary given that my that the quote you referenced actually referred to how Crowfall was a strange choice for me personally given my background.

I'm not a fan of PvP generally or of raiding. I love gathering and crafting (which is why I still play FFXIV regularly.) I'm usually more of a solo player who is happy to group up for something that is challenging or just to assist if asked. When I do join a guild, it's always a small one.

So, with all that said, Crowfall doesn't exactly fall into my wheelhouse. Certainly the emphasis that is being placed on crafting is exciting to me, but a game built around PvP, that would seem a strange choice.

:)

Still, I very much appreciate the enthusiasm and the welcome.  I hope, in the future, you are able to show me some of the things you really enjoy about PvP, perhaps in a few campaigns as you destroy me on the battlefield because I will certainly still be learning the ropes.

Also, shout out to Berengar.  I suspect you and I may do a lot of dying together while we're trying to learn how to survive with the PvP vets!

71431_original.jpg

Like I said, I really do appreciate the enthusiasm.  It's awesome that you're so passionate about the ideas behind Crowfall.  I'm pretty excited as well, even if I'm expecting to die quite a bit early on.  ;)

71431_original.jpg

Like I said, I really do appreciate the enthusiasm.  It's awesome that you're so passionate about the ideas behind Crowfall.  I'm pretty excited as well, even if I'm expecting to die quite a bit early on.  ;)

Everyone dies.

It just depends wether you learn from your death or not that makes the difference between a poor and a good player.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

MMO-world is a fun one. You'll end up meeting the same people, some people you wish you didn't run into again, and meet some amazing friends!

When people are first checking out MMO's I always suggest they walk into the game, the forums, the community spaces and find the ones that you enjoy. Kinda like life. Did you like the gym? The art class? The music class? Yeah? Well keep checking it out and find out why!

Ask all the questions. It is the only way you'll learn and increase your enjoyment of the game!

That is wonderful advice realblankspace, and a lovely analogy as well.  I'd never thought about the MMO experience as comparative to real life but that's a very interesting notion.

I've already been fortunate enough to find a few awesome people here and I've met several other who've provided sound advice and warm welcomes.  I will most assuredly be taking your advice and asking lots of questions.  I'm new.  I want to learn!

71431_original.jpg

Same, I am kinda new to this style of MMO (my past experiences are Wizard101/Pirate101)  but welcome to the community.

Hope we become allies on the battle field, because if not it would be tragic. ;D

Edited by FreezeWind

BQRSX6y.jpg?1

Hi FreezeWind!

I don't have Wizard101 or Pirate 101 experience but my focus has always been PvE, whether it's questing, leveling, harvesting, crafting, or exploring.  This will be a new experience and I'm looking forward to the change (and the challenge.)

I certainly hope we have opportunities to work as allies in the future!

71431_original.jpg

Hi FreezeWind!

I don't have Wizard101 or Pirate 101 experience but my focus has always been PvE, whether it's questing, leveling, harvesting, crafting, or exploring.  This will be a new experience and I'm looking forward to the change (and the challenge.)

I certainly hope we have opportunities to work as allies in the future!

You should try wizard101/Pirate101, it has plenty of PvE stuff  and btw I am making a guild (thread link in signature)

BQRSX6y.jpg?1

That is wonderful advice realblankspace, and a lovely analogy as well.  I'd never thought about the MMO experience as comparative to real life but that's a very interesting notion.

I've already been fortunate enough to find a few awesome people here and I've met several other who've provided sound advice and warm welcomes.  I will most assuredly be taking your advice and asking lots of questions.  I'm new.  I want to learn!

It is funny because in the MMO-World you will mostly run into the same folks

#1 The Old Dying Dinosaurs of PvE who are mostly stuck in WoW trying to make it out to some other game, but the population numbers don't make a server/world first worth the prestige, planning, and time put into it. Look at the poor guilds who actually tried it for WildStar.  :wub:

#2 The Hardcore PvP guilds who have been around for over 15-20 years who all know each other and either A. hate each other B. pretend not to care about each other or C. Ally up so hard you couldn't find a penny between them  :P  :wub:

#3 The ghost of gaming past. These are usually the same people who make you feel like when you go to a high school reunion. You went on, explored life, accomplished some cool stuff, had kids, ect ect and they are just a vision of sad. Lol.  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Did I mention I can be blunt sometimes?  B)  B)  B)  B)

Anyways I hope you find a nice community that is helpful, fun, and engaging. Enjoy them! Just make sure they fit what you want to do in game and aren't a bunch of drama lamassssss.