Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strategerie, Learnin' & Cannon Fodder

Am I the only one inspired to dive into my historical as well as fiction books that involve military strategy and start studying? I read Enders Game just because it's a top science fiction novel, only later did I learn they use it at West Point in strategy classes. Sun Szu's Art Of War was much the same, I'm a reader and I love history, but you know I'm going through it again before launch!

I'm fully aware every campaign won't fall into things quite as organized as the battle of Waterloo, but some will, and any strategy knowledge is good to have in a protracted campaign. Just last night I read about Edward III's possession of Calais (book is about English kings). They took it through traditional siege warfare, nearly starving out the French. a year later an Italian spy in cohorts with a TINY unit of French attempted to retake it at night by a quiet raid on the English dude in charge (it was late, the names escape me at the moment). The plan was leaked and an equally tiny unit of English were waiting when the French arrived. The 'battle' was fought by less than 4 dozen dudes, in the middle of the night, at the gate, no one in town even knew anything had happened the next day! (the English held Calais). THIS is what excites me about this game.

vanguard? Ha! I'll be in the back, making bandages and shouting over ventrillo "no! the THIRD crenelation from the left! fire THERE!!"

Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Am I the only one inspired to dive into my historical as well as fiction books that involve military strategy and start studying? I read Enders Game just because it's a top science fiction novel, only

Don't forget Starship Troopers!

Easy history lessons can be implemented into games.   I forget which biblical battle it was, but they attacked at dawn while the enemy was blinded by the rising sun. Not sure if sunlight's going to

dont matter; zerg it

IIt’d be disappointing if Crowfall's PVP guilds never aspire to anything greater then swarm tactics. Such a lack of strategy would just make the campaigns boring, Crowfall would never realise its full potential. I mean, with Crowfall's focus on politics and emergent gameplay there should be plenty of opportunity for guilds to come-up with clever strategies for winning a game. In Crowfall, the difference between a good guild and a bad guild must be strategy, where the guild stupid enough to try swarm tactics loses every time.

Easy history lessons can be implemented into games.

I forget which biblical battle it was, but they attacked at dawn while the enemy was blinded by the rising sun. Not sure if sunlight's going to be that big of a deal (they did say physics....) but that's always one.

Always seek higher ground.

Thermopolyae taught one way in which to use geography to funnel the zerg.

And when to call "Broken Arrow" to summon friends when the CN zerg overruns your position (Battle of la Drang, We Were Soldiers movie).

While the exact specifics of a battle won't be repeated in a video game, the lessons still apply. Surprised to see Ender's Game on a West Point reading list. Didn't see much worth reading it in the movie, but that's a fail judging a book on a movie.

Civil War renactment guilds recruiting? lol.

While the exact specifics of a battle won't be repeated in a video game, the lessons still apply. Surprised to see Ender's Game on a West Point reading list. Didn't see much worth reading it in the movie, but that's a fail judging a book on a movie.

Edited by primal

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

IIt’d be disappointing if Crowfall's PVP guilds never aspire to anything greater then swarm tactics. Such a lack of strategy would just make the campaigns boring, Crowfall would never realise its full potential. I mean, with Crowfall's focus on politics and emergent gameplay there should be plenty of opportunity for guilds to come-up with clever strategies for winning a game. In Crowfall, the difference between a good guild and a bad guild must be strategy, where the guild stupid enough to try swarm tactics loses every time.

yes large scale strategy is better but takes longer to pull off. where as zerg is immediate and efficient 

Edited by whitedust

Love that book! I re-read it about every other year. which is kinda weird because i've never served in any military unit of any type. Speaking of bad movies....

Zerg strategy works very well for the Zerg. Lots of cannon fodder. Actually this worked very well in any campaign. The British and other countries have done it and never even knew of it's term.

I don't exactly see 'formations' working in CF.  I doubt we'll see archers taking a knee so you could have 2 lines of archers firing. I don't see knights walking shoulder to shoulder either.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

While I do want to see people think outside the zerg, it is very difficult to incorporate military strategy from days gone by into a game where I can rain fire onto your head or summon snakes out of your bottom.

True, but I see AoE as AoE, whether it's an exploding grenade or magic fire. Napalm pretty much IS magic fire...

Zerg strategy works very well for the Zerg. Lots of cannon fodder. Actually this worked very well in any campaign. The British and other countries have done it and never even knew of it's term.

I don't exactly see 'formations' working in CF.  I doubt we'll see archers taking a knee so you could have 2 lines of archers firing. I don't see knights walking shoulder to shoulder either.

well, no, I doubt formations, unless it's a guild vs. guild fight and they agree to a system of battle :snort:, but stuff like unit 1 charges the hill, unit 2 sweeps west and comes around one minute after contact, etc type strategy? lots, and lots of that ;)

I'm not sure how much knowledge of historical battles will help.

I think the real strength is going to be in knowing and 'exploiting'  the game mechanics (not cheating, just using the mechanics to your advantage as much as possible).

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

True, but I see AoE as AoE, whether it's an exploding grenade or magic fire. Napalm pretty much IS magic fire...

Not just talking about AoE. Magic crowd control, buffs and debuffs, summonings, teleports.... you name it. Really tears apart historical tactics.

Edited by Adall

Well, in actuality swarm tactics are the definition of inefficiency. When a weak general would rather pour men and material at a problem then devise a creative way to do more with less.

Incidentally, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Britain used swarm tactics, that doesn't match up with historical data. You see, the interesting thing about the British Empire was the fact that its military might was often undermanned compared to other global powers. So the British had to rely on clever strategies to negate the numerical advantages of its rival. Key to this was the Royal Navy, which used its control over the oceans (thanks to better ships and highly trained crews) to hamper enemy troop movement and ultimately prevent any military force from threatening some of the Empire's more vulnerable colonies and territorial holdings.

As for Crowfall, I think that there is plenty of scope for formations and other examples of strategic manoeuvres. After all, Crowfall is an MMO - communicate is the name of the game. Where groups of players must cooperate with one another to work together and defeat rival guilds. With a little practise a PVP guild can quite easily learn how to use strategy to overwhelm and destroy any guild foolish enough to use swarm tactics.

There is another thread going about bodies/ looting fallen players & so forth. This in itself might change the zerg tactic. If you have 50 dudes, but they can't just run right back into battle when they die.......

Don't forget that in historical battles soldiers of the same unit usually wore the same armor and wielded the same type of weapons - which is highly unlikely in an MMORPG. Two tanks will probably have very different skills.

Equipment doctrines are very much a thing in games where all gear is player made. It's much easier to stockpile 200 identical greatswords and 200 identical suits of scale mail than it is to make sure that your 200 special snowflakes all have a backup supply for their own idiosyncratic loadout.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

that is more a treatise on government/culture than military tactics.

Am I the only one inspired to dive into my historical as well as fiction books that involve military strategy and start studying? I read Enders Game just because it's a top science fiction novel, only later did I learn they use it at West Point in strategy classes. Sun Szu's Art Of War was much the same, I'm a reader and I love history, but you know I'm going through it again before launch!

just like enders game is an easily accessible book that goes into some fundamental leadership philosophies...how to motivate and lead vs. technical tacticians.

here is some tactics and strategy learnin'

get some.

Actually that's on my list, when I finish my current book. (I did state I have zero real military experience).

Good leadership can make or break anything performed by humans: a business, a war or even a social club, luckily we don't need but a few in any given group. I've come across a few books that detailed specific battles & wars that outline what the victors did in the specific terrain/ equipment parameters, I'm adding one of these to my list too. I suspect it will be more interesting that the above linked read while pretty much the same content, but that's ok, I can slog through academic works too.

I see guilds and groups developing play books, like football and basketball teams, short specific goal oriented sets of movements. That way the available players can be plugged into the slots and the battle play run. Let the spying begin.....

Actually, I believe I read a story once about how the top ranking people in these simple mobile strategy games based their tactics all on already existing strategies used by the romans and other such entities.

I might actually pick up the Art of War again, not just for the game but because it is quite fascinating.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.