Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eonwe

Ban On The Forums = Ban In Game

I don't know. Just earlier in this thread, someone was showing that he got banned for calling someone an idiot. That should never happen, in my opinion.

I'm fine with no racism/sexism/etc. That's standard for the majority of games, but when you can't even call someone an idiot because of a "no personal attacks" rule, then the game/forum turns into some extreme crybaby hugbox.

ummm. ...no one got banned for the "idiot" bit....the ahem...person....said they had been verbal'd. ....and I'd have to look at the PRIVATE messages he posted to see if he got an actual point even...because he does NOT show as having ANY points at this time....

just calling balls and strikes here....

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I don't know. Just earlier in this thread, someone was showing that he got banned for calling someone an idiot. That should never happen, in my opinion.

I'm fine with no racism/sexism/etc. That's standard for the majority of games, but when you can't even call someone an idiot because of a "no personal attacks" rule, then the game/forum turns into some extreme crybaby hugbox.

The thing is, if you have a problem with someone's point, you can address that point. You don't have to insult the person. Not only is that needlessly rude, but is diminishes the quality of the discourse itself by shifting the focus from the thing being debated to the conflict between those debating it. 

but when you can't even call someone an idiot because of a "no personal attacks" rule, then the game/forum turns into some extreme crybaby hugbox.

Actually it doesn't!  GameFAQs has had a rule like this for over a decade and the trolls have merely learned to adapt their combat style.  Direct attacks are not needed if you have mastered the use of indirect ones.  With all the Game of Thrones analogies being thrown around, look to that series to see how people can say things that mean something other than what they literally state.  It's irony, and many a forum troll has learned to use it to get the OTHER guy banned for retaliating.

Hugbox?  Pff.  A forum with a "no personal attacks" becomes a wretched hive of scum and villainy as everyone becomes adept at covertly sniping each other without drawing moderator attention.  The hate actually grows more than a normal forum because of how prolonged it can be.  Biting swears and bestowed titles are nothing if not short lived wounds to your adversary, but preheat the pot to boiling temperature before tossing it in the fire and you're bound to see it overflow.

The thing is, if you have a problem with someone's point, you can address that point. You don't have to insult the person. Not only is that needlessly rude, but is diminishes the quality of the discourse itself by shifting the focus from the thing being debated to the conflict between those debating it. 

Have you never called someone an idiot? Sometimes you just gotta call people an idiot/moron/whatever to vent.

7ug90hM.png

ummm. ...no one got banned for the "idiot" bit....the ahem...person....said they had been verbal'd. ....and I'd have to look at the PRIVATE messages he posted to see if he got an actual point even...because he does NOT show as having ANY points at this time....

just calling balls and strikes here....

Sorry, but is doc gonzo actually a mod on these forums?

Sorry, but is doc gonzo actually a mod on these forums?

Doc is a man whom I respect on these forums. He has had a lot of experience. He was simply stating that the person did not get banned for calling someone an idiot. Doc was not the moderator that handed that person a verbal warning, that is why Doc checked on it.

288mqgz.png

Have you never called someone an idiot? Sometimes you just gotta call people an idiot/moron/whatever to vent.

In real life, yes.  In fact, you can call them that in real life to vent.  But a forum requires taking time to write down what you want to say.  Putting your emotions into your text is just food for trolls.  It'd be like going on national television just to insult someone.  It requires too much work to be considered a vent out of frustration.  You don't do it because you want to vent, you do it because you want the other guy to see it.

Sure, when I am in the presence of the person in question. However in a medium of pure discourse, I don't really think using others as an excuse to "vent" is a justifiable reason to sling poop. Not so much because I am a happy-go-lucky sugar-pie, but because I think it is counterproductive to meaningful discussion.

Edited by Speely

Suggestion to the devs: Ignore In Game = Ignore On The Forums

Would make my life much better. This thread is idiotic beyond belief.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

problem?

Yeah, I think hes implying that you should not have the power to ban people from the game. I agree, no community member should.

The thread has feelings too.

Threads are people after all.

So, lemme see if I understand this correctly. 

All I can do on the forums is talk about rainbows and lollipops because otherwise I risk being banned from a game that I am paying for? Sounds like I may need to stay off these forums, as I like the normal trash talk that most forums have (whether I participate in it or not, it can still be entertaining).

As a side note regarding the volunteer mods discussion. I was 1 of 2 forum moderators for an online game a few years back (also I was a Sr.Companion for UO before I left that, stupid murderer title and the penalties of it ruined the game for me.....). The 2 of us did more for the community then any one else (we wrote 95% of the guides) and as the only 2 that the players could actively engage in conversations, we helped bring problems to the publishers attention. Now, the downside, I have seen instances where volunteer moderators abuse their position, both by finding out through their connections with the game company and sharing with their friends ways to cheat or to unfairly punish people they have had problems with in game. It's a double edged sword that I hope that ACE keeps an active eye on, as a bad moderator can do more damage then many people breaking a TOS' language policy.

EDIT: I sure hope those volunteers have no access to the IPs of the posters though... 

Edited by Sneakerz

Yeah, I think hes implying that you should not have the power to ban people from the game. I agree, no community member should.

Threads are people after all.

well now...I can't help what folks think or project....

but like I typed previously. ..no Mod has such power....

for one...the Game isn't out yet. ..

for cereal....did you miss the bits about review and oversight?

Mods have input...but final decisions are all in the hands of the Devs....of course...silly to even think otherwise...

anything else i can help with?

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Yea man sometimes you just have to insult someone to vent. 

So, lemme see if I understand this correctly. 

All I can do on the forums is talk about rainbows and lollipops because otherwise I risk being banned from a game that I am paying for? Sounds like I may need to stay off these forums, as I like the normal trash talk that most forums have (whether I participate in it or not, it can still be entertaining).

As a side note regarding the volunteer mods discussion. I was 1 of 2 forum moderators for an online game a few years back (also I was a Sr.Companion for UO before I left that, stupid murderer title and the penalties of it ruined the game for me.....). The 2 of us did more for the community then any one else (we wrote 95% of the guides) and as the only 2 that the players could actively engage in conversations, we helped bring problems to the publishers attention. Now, the downside, I have seen instances where volunteer moderators abuse their position, both by finding out through their connections with the game company and sharing with their friends ways to cheat or to unfairly punish people they have had problems with in game. It's a double edged sword that I hope that ACE keeps an active eye on, as a bad moderator can do more damage then many people breaking a TOS' language policy.

EDIT: I sure hope those volunteers have no access to the IPs of the posters though... 

Yea letting volunteers have IPs I would think would be a big no no.