Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ziz

Where's The Long Term Character Progression?

How can you make this claim? How do you have any clue how 'fast' it's going to be to get your ideal disciplines and full armor?

I was going to ask the same thing.. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

We all know the min-max'ers will have their builds down within beta, since we would have had alpha/beta to constantly try new archetypes/discipline combos and worked out the numbers :P

My spreadsheet is ready for alpha ^^

We all know the min-max'ers will have their builds down within beta, since we would have had alpha/beta to constantly try new archetypes/discipline combos and worked out the numbers :P

My spreadsheet is ready for alpha ^^

I'm so ready to wreck the noobs who didn't have alpha.

It's funny that everyone's worried about the game, but it's not even out yet.

It's nice to suggest a ton of ideas. But For the best ideas we should honestly wait. Wait for the in game footage of someone "introducing" the gameplay in the game either by the dev team or a player(s) whose granted permission to post live in game footage via alpha testing and beta testing. And take it from there.

From this point on during alpha and beta live tests from players we can add our "criticism and solutions to the problems in the game" and further on build on the game as a community with the developers.

"Think of the solution, not the problem".

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

I'd say by at least mid summer or end of summer to get a bare minimalistic pre-alpha/alpha test done by those granted "access" via the kickstarter.

Even though most of you if not all of us may seem quite impatient... I'd rather wait for the bits and pieces to be polished enough for a rigorous testing from a variety of users (with different computer builds from minimal to a hardcore gaming system) and go from there

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

I was going to ask the same thing.. 

I guess you didn't read my response posted just below the original question...

The fact we can drop into a campaign naked and gear up multiple times within 3 months... or that our "ideal" disciplines wont take long to figure out, especially when people can play the alpha for over a year before release with no NDA.

If I make a character and already know I want to make a - - - Knight/Swordsman/(X)advantage/(Y)Disadvantage/Alchemist-Werewolf - - - whats left after a few months to work toward... passive training you don't actively have to do anything for?

ps. Its amazing people try to defend a game by ignoring a potential problem. I've been in to many Alphas and seen these problems ruin to many games. But lets get back to making pointless April fools threads and sticking our head in the sand.

MOkvLlm.png

The fact we can drop into a campaign naked and gear up multiple times within 3 months... or that our "ideal" disciplines wont take long to figure out, especially when people can play the alpha for over a year before release with no NDA.

If I make a character and already know I want to make a - - - Knight/Swordsman/(X)advantage/(Y)Disadvantage/Alchemist-Werewolf - - - whats left after a few months to work toward... passive training you don't actively have to do anything for?

ps. Its amazing people try to defend a game by ignoring a potential problem. I've been in to many Alphas and seen these problems ruin to many games. But lets get back to making pointless April fools threads and sticking our head in the sand.

You're making assumptions that you will gear up to best in-slot immediately and be done, that's far from true and the fact that items decay means that constant gear upgrades and replacements are necessary.

There will be incredible items you need to work hard for, rare relics and artifacts to obtain, rare disciplines, a vast amount of progression through passive training. Campaign rewards (which is a driving force on why you actively play to win) and much more that we've yet to go into.

If you are looking for a loot grind that's equivalent to PvE raid experiences of other MMO's, where you max your ilevel, wait for the next content patch, rinse repeat then this is absolutely not the game for you.

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

You're making assumptions that you will gear up to best in-slot immediately and be done, that's far from true and the fact that items decay means that constant gear upgrades and replacements are necessary.

There will be incredible items you need to work hard for, rare relics and artifacts to obtain, rare disciplines, a vast amount of progression through passive training. Campaign rewards (which is a driving force on why you actively play to win) and much more that we've yet to go into.

If you are looking for a loot grind that's equivalent to PvE raid experiences of other MMO's, where you max your ilevel, wait for the next content patch, rinse repeat then this is absolutely not the game for you.

Tully, we got this man. Go take a day off, you've earned it. I already called Gordon about it, it's cool.

This really sounds like your opinion and what you prefer character progression to be, and is hardly a post abound with factual evidence or quality supportive arguments given that we don't know poorly made socks. You should quit now, unless you really like to dig for buried treasure. Just look out for that septic tank!

Edited by Adall

Shadowbane had 12 races, 4 base classes, 22 promotion classes and 48 disciplines.  At character creation there was a ton of advantages and disadvantages to consider and the same class played quite differently depending on the base class you chose (for instance a mage assassin and a rogue assassin).  Building out your character you had a myriad of choices to make every step of the way from physical attributes, focus lines to train (you couldn't come close to training all a class had access to, gear, runes and disciplines.  People were still finding new builds and angles to the end.  

This game looks like it will have more of all of that.  Character development will probably be unparalleled deep in the entire history of gaming.  

Shadowbane had 12 races, 4 base classes, 22 promotion classes and 48 disciplines.  At character creation there was a ton of advantages and disadvantages to consider and the same class played quite differently depending on the base class you chose (for instance a mage assassin and a rogue assassin).  Building out your character you had a myriad of choices to make every step of the way from physical attributes, focus lines to train (you couldn't come close to training all a class had access to, gear, runes and disciplines.  People were still finding new builds and angles to the end.  

This game looks like it will have more of all of that.  Character development will probably be unparalleled deep in the entire history of gaming.  

BUT HOW DOES THAT MATTER WHEN YOU MAX EVERYTHING OUT IN TEN HOURS AFTER YOU START?

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I-love-you-gif-Tim-Gunn.gif

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

I don't think Crowfall should have this much skill training time. The way this ended up happening in EVE was the need for different weapon sized skills, passive skills, economy skills, management skills, skills for each ship tier. If anything I think at launch, there should be something like 6-8 years of skills. Granted we don't know enough about the skills to be concluding anything like this, I'm just making a random guess.

Yea I don't think it should be as drastic as EVE. But also keep in mind that what I stated is with training titans in all the factions haha.

Edited by arthidon

First off, I'd like to agree that GW2 is a major fail in progression, while GW1 was amazing in that respect.

With that out of the way, I believe we are all mature enough to call long term progression by another word it really is, Carrot.

Possible Carrots in CF:

• Personal Skill
  • Passives
  • Builds (Weapon+Armor+Abilities)
  • Land Aquisition + Holding
  • Amassing wealth
  • Prestige (How well you are known throughout the game's population)
  • Eternal Kingdom (Everything within it we don't know all the details)
  • Others not posted here

One carrot might be another mans trash and not everyone enjoys the same vegetables, but I believe there will be enough long term carrots to last if they continually update game. Pure Pvp open world games don't need the traditional vertical progression (a little is still welcome) and tend to last longer if they have a good foundation and thus extra variables are added from time to time.

Edited by s@msonite

I love you :3

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

***PLEASE UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING***

I AM NOT ASKING FOR a continuous power climb. ***BUT***  most people like the sense of achievement that character progression gives. Without it I fear for the longevity of Crowfall.

This is the type of problem GW2 has that was never addressed. (despite many posts, myself included, more than a year before launch)

A good example are Realm Ranks from DAOC. They took years to progress and gave a small amount of character power but at the end of the night you still felt like you progressed your character.

In Crowfall we can:

- Select an Archetype with Advantages & Disadvantages

- Chose a Promotion class

- Select Disciplines

- Passive Training

The above is NOT deep character progression.

- You could spend time experimenting but, if you know what you want its going to be fast.

- Your Eternal Kingdom is not character progression. Especially not for people who aren't interested in it.

- Gear will not give long term progression because of degradation, timed campaigns and crafters need turnover.

- Playing a different character is the opposite of what I'm talking about.

Being "fun" is NOT enough. (Progression is "fun" for some people, myself included, so you cannot discount this because you disagree). I had a ton of fun in GW2 (and other games) leveling many characters to max before I stopped playing because it felt pointless. 

Another example is how people feel about their character in World of Warcraft. The time and effort they have in their characters gives them immense value and meaning. If my character in Crowfall is the same as a relatively new character wheres the value and meaning in that? 

I hope to see more information on character progression sooner rather than later or never.

I love the idea of dying Worlds. Nothing like starting fresh. Then again, I hate the lack of character progression. Yet I also hate the leveling grind after the first time through.

So honestly I really don't know the answer.

My favorite character progression system was Final Fantasy XIV. I loved how your class was determined by the weapon you equipped and how your class was the combination of 2 classes. It removed the need for alts and gave almost unlimited replayability.

I also liked Wildstar's progression end game. In addition to gear acquisition at cap level, you were able to acquire additional ability points through many different sources of PvP and PVE. These ability points used to be very rare (are common now) and very powerful. This discouraged players from having alts or starting over if you didn't like their character.

Edited by Evade2015

7d4g0V5.png

I don't think I know a single person who quit EVE because the character progression wasn't satisfying enough. You're taking themeparks and comparing it to this when that doesn't make much sense because one of the primary GOALS of themeparks is to have character progression. 

I quit because the combat wasn't enjoyable. But, if it was, I would have eventually quit because there was no meaningful long-term individual character focused progression. It's all about the mob. You're just an insignificant statistic, a small cog, unimportant with no ability to shine and be exceptional. 

I've already made this point but it seems everyone just glosses right over it. What on Earth is the point of a training system that, when you reach a new level, affords you no sense of achievement whatsoever? It's just there to make you wait.

For what?

If you guys are so immensely against actively training your character (as if you existed and were a part of this alternative fantasy world) why even have levels at all? Why not just start everyone off on the same equal footing. It's all fair, it's all neatly organized with no chaos to contend with or effort required to improve yourself. Only player skill and group dynamics would matter. 

Edited by unknownxv

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche