Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
evade2015

Free Wildstar Trial While Waiting For Crowfall

Endgame was goofy with so many gates and grinds just to get into the raids that getting together a group to do a run was pretty tough. On top of it there were mechanics like "if one of your party dies then you lose" types of things and it became unfun to raid. Again, a matter of balance.

Like CF is all about PvP - Wildstar was supposed to be all about endgame raiding. Because of that leveling was pretty much kill x of y, move to new quest hub, lather rinse repeat. They had some great ideas for additional skills you could add to your class but overall I found the art style to be the best part of the game. The housing was hook based outside and pretty flexible inside.

I hope they've changed a lot in the game. I'm going to go check it out if only to see how they've balanced things out. It had huge potential - maybe they have done some work on it so it's fun.

End game grind/gates are gone. Max Amps/ability points can be acquired in a couple weeks. Raid attunement can be done in a day and is much easier. No more RNG with runes (All gear gets full runes and all runes colors are good) No more gear imbalance in PvP.  All PvP gear can be acquired with prestige (Currency you get for PvP) and next PvP season the 1800 rated gear will be costume only.

Basically what caused people to quit back at launch has been fixed. Now the biggest challenge is dispelling the mis-information from all those ex players like Nyt with terrible first impressions.

In regards to you coming back, as I mentioned earlier, for best experience roll on Entity server, join the global chat channel /chjoin lfg and make sure hold to continue cast is on to save yourself from tendinitis (esc -> combat tab) If you're on Warhound, take the completely free transfer to entity. Can be found in character select screen

Edited by Evade2015

7d4g0V5.png

Nope, it's entirely to do with your lag. Let me guess, Australian right?

Not at all and if you understood my posts, you wouldn't be responding so rudely and with such ignorance.  Their telegraph system may work adequately in PvE, but it was patently flawed in PvP.  We did plenty of verifiable "science" and there were quite a few with video evidence posted in the threads.  When the devs had no timeline to fix that and other critical issues... other than their typical "6 months"... guilds just quit.  This, in turn, lead to server merges and eventually the megaservers they have now.

Your counter arguments are mis-information.  The issues existed months after release, reproducible in remote in-game areas with the least amount of latency possible, low latency connections, and with solid PCs.  Just because you're ignorant to issues, doesn't mean they don't exist.  With regards to WS, ignorance is bliss to enjoy it.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Not at all and if you understood my posts, you wouldn't be responding so rudely and with such ignorance.  Their telegraph system may work adequately in PvE, but it was patently flawed in PvP.  We did plenty of verifiable "science" and there were quite a few with video evidence posted in the threads.  When the devs had no timeline to fix that and other critical issues... other than their typical "6 months"... guilds just quit.  This, in turn, lead to server merges and eventually the megaservers they have now.

Your counter arguments are mis-information.  The issues existed months after release, reproducible in remote in-game areas with the least amount of latency possible, low latency connections, and with solid PCs.  Just because you're ignorant to issues, doesn't mean they don't exist.  With regards to WS, ignorance is bliss to enjoy it.

I have done nothing but PvP for 9 months in WS. Never even stepped foot into the first raid.

Your issue is entirely lag and you'll have the same problems with Crowfall and any other non tab target game

7d4g0V5.png

I have done nothing but PvP for 9 months in WS. Never even stepped foot into the first raid.

Your issue is entirely lag and you'll have the same problems with Crowfall and any other non tab target game

Let me help guide you to the reported thread and directly to a dev response that confirmed it was an issue:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/89874-why-are-people-still-trying-to-blame-this-on-latency/page-5#entry923552

Google search for more: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=wildstar+telegraph+latency

Now, this was last year, so I have no idea if they finally resolved the issues as I haven't tried to go back since I left last September, with no fix in sight for this and the devs stopped responding to the thread. Existing monthly patches were already slipping months behind schedule.  It was a greatly declining situation that the devs stopped connecting with the community, so most of it left.

Telegraph desync is a serious issue, which I hope CF doesn't experience as it's a very critical core part of action combat.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Beta'd Wildstar pretty extensively but did not buy the game when it launched.   BTW it launched months ago.

I'm hoping they've fixed a bit of the issues they had back then.  I liked the cwazy art style and the telegraphed combat actually was fun when it was WAI.

The balance was off in the game.  The telegraph system was seriously wonky and while the concept is great the reality of being in the middle of 5 mobs all with different telegraph patterns and half of them holding you in place with differently timed stuns got old after a while.  Nothing like starting a PVE fight and realizing 3 seconds in that not only can you not kill anything (even though you could if you look at the numbers) but you have to wait there for 15 seconds while they all run through their stuns and patterns and then you can finally fall to the ground dead without firing a shot.

Endgame was goofy with so many gates and grinds just to get into the raids that getting together a group to do a run was pretty tough.  On top of it there were mechanics like "if one of your party dies then you lose" types of things and it became unfun to raid.  Again, a matter of balance.

Like CF is all about PvP  - Wildstar was supposed to be all about endgame raiding.  Because of that leveling was pretty much kill x of y, move to new quest hub, lather rinse repeat. They had some great ideas for additional skills you could add to your class but overall I found the art style to be the best part of the game.  The housing was hook based outside and pretty flexible inside. 

I hope they've changed a lot in the game.  I'm going to go check it out if only to see how they've balanced things out. It had huge potential - maybe they have done some work on it so it's fun.

4769ad29-0ccf-446f-ab2b-3e5acf7f60b5.jpg

Oridi has a lot of different looks.

I prefer this look for Engineers

TmcOMnr.png

But my real love is for my Stalker

4dWINaH.png

7d4g0V5.png

Now, this was last year, so I have no idea if they finally resolved the issues as I haven't tried to go back since I left last September

You haven't played in 7 months and you have no clue if your issue has been resolved but you still feel the urge to come here and talk negatively about it with no intention of trying the totally free trial to see if it's fixed...

Are you really that insulted over a game?

Edited by Evade2015

7d4g0V5.png

Riiight.

You do know telegraphs = Animations right?

Only difference is Animations will require super computers for any fight above 5 vs 5

I don't have a problem with _some_ telegraphs but the entire WS combat system is nothing but red boxes everywhere and all you do is stare at rectangles.  Have a blast with your game man but you can't tell me that I'm wrong for not liking Wildstar.  To each his own.  

Edited by Chersk

1A9QOTM.jpg

Exactly what happened to Wildstar and as evidenced by the other poster, people are still insulted over it. Now not only does WS need to continue to improve their game, they need to fight against all the anger and misinformation out there. Same thing will happen to Crowfall

This exact same thing happened to WoW at launch. Actually it was much worse. But back in 2004 there was such little competition people had no choice but to stick it out and what they eventually got was a masterpiece

Yeah but the way in which WoW got hammered was very obviously server congestion issues, whereas Wildstar was trickier to identify. Like at first playing Wildstar I thought the controls were just "sticky", I had to stop and actually press buttons one at a time carefully to figure out there was a half second delay on all my actions. WoW isn't fun at 500ms ping either but they take user experience very seriously and basically every possible measure was used to keep the game running smoothly at all times. When you started to get delays due to server issues it was incredibly obvious that was the reason.

There are also players who are just never going to have a good ping (hi Australia! and many regions in the USA) and tab target systems are infinitely more playable when that's the case.

Like at first playing Wildstar I thought the controls were just "sticky"

Abilities can be pressed each time or you can press them down and hold them for continuous attacks. It's an option. But, like most people who hate on the game, they don't bother asking. Rather just criticize

I had to stop and actually press buttons one at a time carefully to figure out there was a half second delay on all my actions

Not entirely sure about half second delay, but you can always adjust the "queue up abilities" in order to account for lag.

Again, criticizing an issue that doesn't really exist.

If only there was a way to disable some unnecessary telegraphs!!!... oh look

fp3KWMe.png

Edited by Evade2015

7d4g0V5.png

Funny that you chastise people for doing exactly what you do...  criticize without understanding.

Only thing I'm saying is how I dislike animation locks and reticule / FPS style gameplay. Fact is TERA has animation lock. I don't need to experience lvl 65 to know I don't like it. Just as I'm sure you dont need to get to 50 in Wildstar to know if you don't like telegraphs

I'm not spreading miss-information or passing off inaccurate / outdated information as stating it as fact to make people not like TERA

7d4g0V5.png

Abilities can be pressed each time or you can press them down and hold them for continuous attacks. It's an option. But, like most people who hate on the game, they don't bother asking. Rather just criticize

Not entirely sure about half second delay, but you can always adjust the "queue up abilities" in order to account for lag.

Again, criticizing an issue that doesn't really exist.

The issue was excessive server lag in the weeks following launch and a client system that was ill-prepared to handle the delays. This has nothing to do with holding buttons for rapid-fire or not. Nor would ability queues actually help with outright responsiveness, that just handles the small time gaps between ability activation windows to allow maximum dps.

This issue of server lag hammering the game into oblivion not only existed, it existed so hard that even the devs knew about it.

The issue was excessive server lag in the weeks following launch and a client system that was ill-prepared to handle the delays. This has nothing to do with holding buttons for rapid-fire or not. Nor would ability queues actually help with outright responsiveness, that just handles the small time gaps between ability activation windows to allow maximum dps.

This issue of server lag hammering the game into oblivion not only existed, it existed so hard that even the devs knew about it.

Multiplayer online games experience server lag sometimes? No way!?

I played Wildstar at launch. It was very stable with minimal server interruptions. Sure it had issues like long queues, just like every other MMO at release, but nothing compared to how terrible WoWs launch was.

Not really sure why you are even bringing this up. As long as there is internet there will be lag and disconnects in all online games including Crowfall.

Sounds like you're just trying to find something to complain about

7d4g0V5.png

Let me help guide you to the reported thread and directly to a dev response that confirmed it was an issue:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/89874-why-are-people-still-trying-to-blame-this-on-latency/page-5#entry923552

This whole thread was a massive bucket of red herrings, and Buiden didn't do himself any favours by replying to it. It just gave all of those posters who didn't understand the issue an excuse to project all of their problems onto the minor issues he identifies.

As soon as Buiden suggested that there was an issue with player positioning that was it, suddenly everybody who missed an attack or thought they should have dodged an ability had an excuse to point to, it became the cop out for every player who didn't understand the realities of offering that kind of combat over the Internet in an MMO format, and from that point on there was no point trying to explain anything to anybody.

For the record, I'm the guy mentioned in the opening video that this thread is based on. The ignorant breast that kicks the argument off spends a good 10 minutes complaining about me because I had the audacity to explain to him how the Internet works. Wildstar was latency sensitive because of the way the combat was designed, that was not a bug and none of the fixes for bugs relating to combat/network problems go any way towards removing the Internet from the equation. Without getting technical: When you have a game with very fast unrestricted client side movement, where attacks involve area effects placed into the world relative to your player position, where the game attempts to display the exact area being attacked by both the player and the target, and where positional updates have to be kept to a minimum because you're running an open world MMO...  PvP combat is going to look disjointed. The underlying problem has no fix, it is simply down to the player to compensate for latency through prediction the same way players of fast online games have had to do for decades.

I've had a weekend with the trial, here are my thoughts so far.

So far I've tried 4 classes out of 6, my main is a level 15 Exile Esper.
I don't like the Esper that much, but I reached the farthest, so I'll stay with her.
I play PVE (I actually have only seen around 3-4 other players while playing for 10-12 hours or more during the weekend! Maybe they are higher up in the areas?)
I'll write here some of my experience.
I'm not a reviewer, so excuse my messy writing. Do ask me anything you want to know from a new player's perspective and I'll try and do my best to answer.

Graphics
Cartoony, full of life, colorful.
I love the game's looks so far.
Even hills of grass have those cartoony swirls in some areas, there are bugs, flowers that look more than Doom textures that look at you.
It's not WoW cartoony, but it has its own style, and I like it.
There are a few things I like less about the style, such as the Bug Bunny blaster rifles (Like what the Martian holds), some of the armors looking weird too.
But you have costumes that can make up for that (I hope! Did not reach that far yet).

Gameplay
Fun. You have to move around, even evade attacks like in old platformers (but it seems that sometimes you still get hit...)
Much to do, different paths have different missions (though they are mostly the same, but the variation is good!)

User Friendly
Not really. I am not a new comer to the MMO or gaming scene. But at first the game was so very confusing.
I get a weapon, and I can't use it without an ability?
The silver "!" mark is what other games use as "?" (Only on my third character did it explain what are the different signs)
Quests are not explained that well sometimes.
Path quests may direct you to an area that is only close to the objective, but not telling you what's the exact objective? (Do I kill an enemy? Dig for something? You say go to the shore but the objective is inland?)
Tutorial windows may or may not appear (I tried a few characters, sometimes the tutorials showed up, sometimes not), and they don't explain everything.
Buttons that are common everywhere are different? (P instead of C, B instead of K, I instead of B)
Interface is messy and you need to move things yourself (A newcomer would probably have some issues, I immediately tried Ctrl + Mouse drag)
I am having a hard time reading what characters say, tall characters have their bubbles even higher up and harder to read.
I assume these things can be changed, but for a new user this does not mean much, first impression is important!

Story
Cliche stuff. A higher race creates great artifacts, influences other races, and then disappears, leaving things laying around.
You find their latest playground, and try to unmask their mysteries, amongst other things.
Exiles - Good guys, looking for a new home, escaping the Dominion.
Dominion - Bad guys, murderers, they want the new planet, they treat the higher race as Gods, but they treat their legacy like crap and destroy it, unlike the Exiles! Weird.
Very obvious black and white situation.
(Dominion starting area - Kill Exiles, Exiles starting area - Rebuild, huge losses taken by Dominion in both stories)

I do enjoy exploring the areas left by the race, however.

Conclusion
I will keep playing until my period is up. I want to see what else there is to the game.
I reccommend others to try it at least!

Wildstar promised a challenge but it turned out to be tedium. It's not really a challenge if every trash mob on the way to your objective had the power to wreck your character, it just wastes time. This is the game whose devst overtuned the raid bosses to be literally impossible and then publicly mocked the players for finally winning after the bosses were tuned down to a reasonable level, calling it an easy mode win. A D&D dungeon master could drop a sea of CR 20 monsters on a level one party, that wouldn't be a challenge, that would just be a jerk move.

The aesthetic looked good and the player housing system sounded cool. Shame it was buried in an unfun game.

Edited by Zakila

Wildstar promised a challenge but it turned out to be tedium. It's not really a challenge if every trash mob on the way to your objective had the power to wreck your character, it just wastes time. This is the game whose devst overtuned the raid bosses to be literally impossible and then publicly mocked the players for finally winning after the bosses were tuned down to a reasonable level, calling it an easy mode win. A D&D dungeon master could drop a sea of CR 20 monsters on a level one party, that wouldn't be a challenge, that would just be a jerk move.

The aesthetic looked good and the player housing system sounded cool. Shame it was buried in an unfun game.

I think the developers were upset that the people interested in playing Wildstar were not on the "same level" as the 10 or so raiding guilds on each server in WoW during 2005/2006 when Wildstar's development team worked on WoW. In terms of dedication, hardcoreness and co-ordination. What they also fail to understand is that PvE players for the most part are not as hardcore as they used to be, hardcore raiding guilds tend to burn out very quickly due to drama of the most hilarious levels sometimes and that seeing as in the old days of WoW the number of guilds that finished the hardest end game content in WoW, both during classic and BC can be counted on two hands on the large population servers and on one hand on the low, it fills a very niche pocket of the casual/PvE focused community. The vast majority of them tend to seem to want to run dungeons and do small 25 man raids in WoW, Blizzard recognised this and focused their attention on that instead because they wanted to market to the majority rather than those 200 odd so people on each servers who take it seriously.

It was obvious to me from the start Wildstar would fail because all the developers ever did was obsess over their raid content and obsess over the multi-path dungeons that appeals to a very small portion of the PvE player-base, rough guess around 10% of them. It's very obvious the rest of the game suffered because of it.  If they wanted to market the game to a niche, they should of built it from the ground up for a niche and then focus their entire attention on designing the game around that niche, like everyone else is doing these days.  You can't have it both ways guys, these days there is only the niche and the mass market, it's a result of 10 years worth of market branding and corporate interference in the video gaming culture.

Simply dulling down the game then saying "you all suck" doesn't solve any problems, it only makes what is left of your player base quit on you.

Why is Guild Wars 2 still strong?  Because when the big blob of people who came in then realized they didn't like it quit, they kept moving forward like nothing happened and focused on their core player base, same deal with SWTOR, though for different obvious reasons.
Edited by Psyctooth

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.