Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BucDen

Which Mmo Did You Coming From?

It's a safe bet that most here not only played several MMOs, but you've probably been playing them for anywhere from 10 - 15 years now. However, of all the MMOs we've played, there's one or two that we each consider 'home' in a sense. That MMO that no matter what we've played since we still consider the MMO we came from. 

For me, that was UO. I played from release up until shortly after AoS, with characters on Atlantic, Catskills and Pacific. I think what makes it home for me is I knew so many more players with so many diverse playstyles when I played that game than in other MMO I've played since, and like many here I've played LOTS of MMOs since then. The only other MMO that came remotely close was Shadowbane.

Anyway, when people say "What MMO did you come from?" My answer is almost always UO. What's yours?

NOTE: If there's already a thread like this, my apologies. I missed it. Please post the link to it and I'll ask the devs to lock this one. Also, I want to thank my autocorrect for hooking me up with the wonderful 'edits' that derped the custard out of my subject title. 

Edited by buc denizen

i spent most of my early mmo time in Knight Online, holy sheen that game was a grindfest.

We are talking about gaining 0,1% in 1hour of farming the best mobs for exp, it took months to gain one lvl.

But it was decent enough fun in PvP..

My roots stem from SWG. That will always be where I am from.

I remember creating a character at launch, the cool character creation music playing on as I selected from the options, and sliders. I was going to meet up with my Uncle, who was talking to me over the phone about how cool this whole experience was. It was a first for both of us. We chose to meet up on Tatooine, at the Mos Eisley cantina. Unlucky for me, Mos Eisley was not a starting destination for my character, as the options were randomized to only three selectable locations per planet. So, I wound up in Mos Espa, to start off my future life in MMOs.

Looking at the map, I realized I had quite a trek ahead of me, as Espa was basically on the other side of Tatooine's map. Once I got my bearings, I headed in the general direction of Mos Eisley. I walked out of town, and when I was alone in the wilderness of Tatooine, the reality of how large the game was really hit me. I ran up and down the treacherous slopes and cuts in the terrain. I passed some strange creatures, and made sure I was very clear of them.

Eventually I came to Mos Eisley. I can remember the view of the city as I breached that last peak. It was marvelous. I ran down the slope, and right into the city, looking right away for the cantina. After finding it, I immediately started to look for my Uncle, who was nowhere to be found. Eventually we figured out there were two cantinas in the city! Laughing, I wandered about until I stumbled upon the iconic Mos Eisley cantina. As I entered, and the music started playing, I knew I was going to like this game. Again, I started looking for my Uncle, who again, was nowhere to be found. After much discussion and searching, we realized that we were on different servers...

So I rerolled, for the first time in my MMO career, a couple of hours after I started it. I picked the Ahazi server, where I ended up staying for the remainder of it, at least the portion that was SWG. Again, I was unlucky to get Eisley, and did not want to chose the farthest city again, but was unsure of the city I selected the first time, so I just chose one. As soon as I landed back in Espa, and realized it was the same city, I was like... man. I took the long path back to Eisley on foot. After about four hours or so of all this, I eventually got to the correct cantina, in the correct city, on the correct server, to finally meet up with my Uncle. We proceeded to spend the rest of the night laughing, and goofing off in Eisley, spending the time exploring and discussing the game.

I had a great first day in SWG, and a great first day in MMOs. SWG is where my roots go, and what I compare all of my MMO experiences with.

Am I the only jerk who came here to complain about the grammar issues in the title?

Also, I want to thank my autocorrect for hooking me up with the wonderful 'edits' that derped the custard out of my subject title. 

Ahhh haha, there we go. And thank you Tully for the forum filter lols, "derped the custard out of my subject title". :)

Edited by leiloni

I started out in City of Heroes and moved on to Wow shortly after it launched and played for a long time. I dabbled in most MMOs that came out of the past 10 years, playing Age of Conan, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa (lol) etc. 

I'm currently playing SWTOR but I've really started to grow tired of it. It has its high points but I think I'm just sick of raiding and instanced, canned content. The Stronghold system is ok I guess....I was really excited for it but it hasn't lived up to the hype in many ways. 

I have....lots of 'stuff' there. I'm pretty wealthy in game and have a few well geared characters but it has begun feeling a little hollow ever since I finished grad school and got a job in the past few months. I'm not dead broke anymore and am in a better place mentally now and not inclined to sit in front of the computer as much.....some RL hobbies are starting to come back for me. 

I'm at a point where I don't use games to escape reality and am ready for a game I WANT to play. 

Eq -> WoW -> SWTOR -> FFXIV ->Wildstar.

In between those games, I dabbled in most of the other MMOs.

Tried to go back to WoW for its expansion, but Wildstar has pretty much ruined all other MMOs for me.

7d4g0V5.png

I started out in City of Heroes and moved on to Wow shortly after it launched and played for a long time. I dabbled in most MMOs that came out of the past 10 years, playing Age of Conan, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa (lol) etc. 

I'm currently playing SWTOR but I've really started to grow tired of it. It has its high points but I think I'm just sick of raiding and instanced, canned content. The Stronghold system is ok I guess....I was really excited for it but it hasn't lived up to the hype in many ways. 

I have....lots of 'stuff' there. I'm pretty wealthy in game and have a few well geared characters but it has begun feeling a little hollow ever since I finished grad school and got a job in the past few months. I'm not dead broke anymore and am in a better place mentally now and not inclined to sit in front of the computer as much.....some RL hobbies are starting to come back for me. 

I'm at a point where I don't use games to escape reality and am ready for a game I WANT to play. 

City of Heroes was a lot of fun. I didn't spend a ton of time playing it, but I enjoyed every aspect of the game while I was.

BTW, it is my opinion that you have the coolest avatar on these forums :)  What a character he was!

Amazing to have that switch isn't it?

EQ > >Earth and Beyond > SWG > WoW > EQ2 > SW:TOR > WildStar    EQ would be my "home" mmo. 

Want a custom adventure for your table top RPG?

I can create one for you. HERE

FFXI, Planetside, Lineage II, WoW, The Matrix Online, City of Heroes, EVE, countless F2P Korean MMOs (Looking at you maple story), SWTOR, ArcheAge, ESO, Wildstar, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV

I've only ever religiously played a few games. Most times I dabble for a month or two, see if I can enjoy it enough to see what endgame is like or quit and never give it a second go. Though once at endgame I'm pretty committed usually and leave once the game turns to poorly made socks or goes F2P (Looking at you SWTOR).

Currently I'm playing FFXIV. Probably the most polished theme park the genre has to offer. I guess I'd call it my "Home" MMO. 

I will say this about SWTOR and F2P....all things considered, they did the best job they could with it. Granted, it turns the game in playing dress up with your character in many ways but it brings revenue to the game to justify its ongoing existence to their corporate masters while still not effecting the power balance. There's a ton of cool fluff....if you're into that sort of thing and admittedly, its mildly entertaining. But it is what it is. 

I loved CoH but was playing on a terrible dial up at the time. I kinda abandoned it when I moved to Wow and now regret I didn't pick it back up at some point. The character customization was amazing, I remember the costume contests outside city hall....I played DC Online a few days and it was awful in comparison. 

I've been playing online games since 1992.  I've watched things grow, evolve and, of course, explode in 2004 when WoW was unleashed on an unknowing populace. ;)   

After all this time, I'd still say I came from Asheron's Call.  The open-ended character development which allowed you to min/max and, unfortunately for some, gimp their characters was one of the best things about it.  The allegiance system with vassals providing xp up the chain in exchange for advice, gear, runs, etc. was perfect in my opinion.  I'll never forget moving up the chain so I was getting xp from those below me.  Logging in and leveling up from the work of those I was helping felt good.  Giving away items that weren't useful to me anymore to those newer to the game...I gave an Olthoi sword to one guy and he followed me around like a puppy.   B)  The combat (I started out on Wintersebb but got bored so moved to Darktide and loved it) was interesting and while not twitch based, it required a head for strategy. 

I'm hoping to recapture at least some of that feeling with Crowfall.

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

Shadowbane and Warhammer Online were the ones that kept me the longest over straight time period. I did play world of tanks straight for the first two years, but off and on after that.

Runescape 02-03

Shadowbane 05-09

Warhammer Online 08-11

World of Tanks 11-15

World of Warcraft 2010-2015(Off and on quite a bit)

Edited by handies

Just the MMOs I've played to any significant amount (several hundred hours each)...

Ultima Online, Ragnarok Online, Phantasy Star Online I (though if that counts as an MMO is questionable), Allegiance, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Lineage II, Shattered Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Planetside, Aion, Warhammer Online, Pandora Saga, Guild Wars 2, Eve Online, Shores of Hazeron, Ragnarok Online 2, Planetside 2, Final Fantasy 14, Elder Scrolls Online, WildStar, ArcheAge... probably one or two more that I forgot.

Thats not even mentioning the MMORPGs I started but discarded before getting to maximum level.

The ones I most enjoyed were UO, RO, Allegiance, DAoC, Planetside and Pandora Saga.

No coincidence that except for RO all of them are either PvP heavy or pure PvP games.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Caution:

Mentioning of GoldMechWalletWarrior Online might lead people who played any previous MechWarrior installment, and especially MW:LL or MW4, to throw random objects. Or start angry rants. Especially if they're disappointed legendary founders.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Was on a MMO break when I heard about CF, to be honest. I think the last MMO I played was GW2 (which I started playing recently while I wait for CF  :rolleyes:). Completely missed the boat on ESO and WildStar (for better or worse).

Plus, a load of previous MMOs before that.

LW_sig_concept5.jpg

Through the Hunger and Darkness, might our Light shine through...

- (Future) Character name: Ydriel -