Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BucDen

Which Mmo Did You Coming From?

Just the MMOs I've played to any significant amount (several hundred hours each)...

Ultima Online, Ragnarok Online, Phantasy Star Online I (though if that counts as an MMO is questionable), Allegiance, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Lineage II, Shattered Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Planetside, Aion, Warhammer Online, Pandora Saga, Guild Wars 2, Eve Online, Shores of Hazeron, Ragnarok Online 2, Planetside 2, Final Fantasy 14, Elder Scrolls Online, WildStar, ArcheAge... probably one or two more that I forgot.

+++ for Shattered Galaxy :D

--- for ragnarok 2, what were you thinking?

I havnt really played any mmo long enough to call home, usually in for a week or two and then move on. Couple months is a good stay like with Rift or WoW. FRO kept me in for awhile.

Edited by dwarfurious

My God, this goes far back.

I once played EQ, the first and second.

I played WoW for quite a while.

I played GW for a little bit, the second one for a bit more.

The games I briefly played: nearly all F2P MMO's and SWtOR.

Some MUDS as well when I were really bored, though never extensively.

Yet still I wait for that one MMO that will have me stick around 'till eternity. Or the server's burning down.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

+++ for Shattered Galaxy :D

--- for ragnarok 2, what were you thinking?

SG is one of those very few games that really should have a remake.

They wouldn't even have to change much.

Make it prettier, replace some of the really suck~y maps and buff the organics.

Everything else is spot on perfect.

RO2 wasn't my fault really. Steam released it and a dozen people who used to be in my Ragnarok Online guild back in 2003 started spamming me to rebuild our old guild in it. I pretty much had to at that point.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Caution:

Mentioning of GoldMechWalletWarrior Online might lead people who played any previous MechWarrior installment, and especially MW:LL or MW4, to throw random objects. Or start angry rants. Especially if they're disappointed legendary founders.

I nearly cried when I found they'd gone Battletech combat focus instead of Mechwarrior pilot focus.  Rest of angry rant skipped because you've either heard it before, or you're not interested :P

I still associate my online self with Realms of Despair.  My little Pixie Cleric has well over 6000 hours clocked up on him, which gets a little more impressive when you realise that was all within a five year period.  Eve Online would probably be the next closest, but my DK tank in WoW is getting there - about half what the pixie has for playtime.

Faradhi Sobriet-Treves, Avatar Pixie Cleric, GoC, CoC, PN, etc, etc, etc, reporting for duty!  :3

Press to test...

*click*

Release to detonate...

Holy poorly made socks, people played Shattered Galaxies?  I never can find anyone who's heard of Nexon's original NA footprint.  SG was fun but I was never a RTS buff so I never paid or get too deep into it.  Still, it was a fun take on the genre and it still exists.

I played Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds.  My first MMO and the only one to ever make me sub more than a year (and I was on and off for 9).  I've yet to find anything, ANYTHING, even remotely close to that game.  This wasn't just because the community has remained a fairly small community, but because the game had story.  Real, actual, engaging story that made stuff happen.  The world changed because of that story.  You looked forward to the next chapter or the next big event because it meant something.  The combat was bland, partly cuz it was such an ancient game at this point that pretty much anything was more engaging (and clunky, honestly) so I bet I'd still play here and there if I wasn't bored as hell by its combat.  But, the story was always engaging, and the game actively catered to roleplay by engaging player guilds (of which required SIX MONTHS MINIMUM BEFORE BECOMING A REAL GUILD (mostly cuz the GMs would build you a unique guild hall, but still)) and the GM supported player run subpaths (3 for each path (read, class)) into the story and the game world.

I don't expect to find another Nexus, but god damnit if no one even tries.  I've never felt a part of the game world or my characters the way I did in Nexus.  I don't feel like I am a part of an evolving world in any MMORPG I play.  The main reason is that you're never engaged in the game's story or world.  It's just a place that exists to grind levels, loot, and reputation for raids and PVP.  Anarchy Online had real potential in its early life with that little web series.  I've not felt it anywhere else, though.  What's so annoying for me I describe like this: MMORPGs have story for content's sake.  They need the next gear tier, so they slap together some BS lore about it that no one cares about except die hard roleplayers who enjoy treating the MMO like Second Life or otherwise a glorified 3D chatroom.  I want to feel engaged in the world or I don't feel attached to my character.  This process means players should look forward to the content and not the story because the story never engages you or matters, thus trying to RP around that feels empty to me (as much as I tried in WoW, holy hell did I try).  Nexus had content for story's sake.  A story had to be told.  That story always brought something new with it and it was up to the players to fully unlock it, appreciate it, and benefit from it, it wasn't a held hand to the next raid instance.  Maybe it helped in Nexus that it wasn't a gear treadmill but a stat treadmill where you'd sell experience at level cap for more vitality or more mana in perpetuity, but the point remains that you felt a part of the story because it affected the world.  My favorite go to example: My rogue was part of the Buyan Imperial Army (player run GM guild for the Kingdom of Buya) and one event had the city under siege for weeks by a NPC barbarian faction known as the Sonhi (fyi, one warrior subpath was the Barbarian subpath, and many RPed ties or allegiance to the Sonhi).  Instead of logging in or recalling to the barracks, it'd be an over crowded inn of the neighboring kingdom's capital city, Kugnae of Koguryo, that I'd go to.  THAT WAS F***ING COOL!  And no one does anything like that.  It's so bland and boring.

Crowfall won't be that, but at least it has potential to be a proper PVP game which is the next best thing for me, at least the players create their own story, essentially.

I honestly didn't play mmos until a few years ago. My loss for sure. The most recent mmo that I played heavily was Neverwinter.

I'm not so sure it's a loss. You're probably judging each MMO you play on its own merits and not against an often unrealistic nostalgia of one's "first love". That's a good thing!

I continue to feel like an MMO rube the more time I spend here but that means there are a lot of vets for me to learn from at least.

DCUO was my first MMO. I was mostly a solo/co-op gamer but DC had one of my favorite universes at the time and it was a game my partner would play with me. Didn't stick and I was back out of the scene until ESO. Not an awesome game by any stretch but I adore Bethesda so I had to give it a try. The experience was enjoyable enough that I decided to try other MMOs. FFXIV is my main because, again, I love the world and the lore. I still play some Wildstar, SWToR, Guild Wars 2, LoTRO, and WoW. I've tried Rift and Archeage as well. I have Neverwinter and The Secret World installed but haven't so much as loaded them up yet.

71431_original.jpg

SG is one of those very few games that really should have a remake.

They wouldn't even have to change much.

Make it prettier, replace some of the really suck~y maps and buff the organics.

Everything else is spot on perfect.

RO2 wasn't my fault really. Steam released it and a dozen people who used to be in my Ragnarok Online guild back in 2003 started spamming me to rebuild our old guild in it. I pretty much had to at that point.

I knew there must of been a GOOD reason to of played RO2. And i think they DID remake SG, it looks more korean now though =/

I want to see a fantasy remake of SG. Everything the same. Fantasy.

Edited by dwarfurious

I've played WoW the entire time, on and off, from launch to today. I've played a fair amount in Guild Wars 2. I played a bunch of f2p MMOs too but none really hit me like Space Cowboy. So good.

My favorites:

WoW(Vanilla and BC) - Hardcore raider / PvPer / Druid Officer

SWTOR - Led competitive 8v8 PvP guild and team

Rift - Guild Officer / PvPer / Raider

DCUO - Guild Officer / Raid leader

Smite - casually

Neverwinter Nights(yes, the old one) - currently playing on a persistent world while waiting for CF

Games I'm not fond of:

Guild Wars 2

Elder Scrolls Online

Current WoW

Aion

Age of Conan

Warhammer Online

I am done with Theme parks though. I want Crowfall.

Edited by Approxy

recently Shroud of the Avatar (still in beta) looks as if PVE has pull there more so than PVP at the moment we may pull ahead thanks to a DEV who is PVP, but the graphics are awesome (unity 5)

UO since it first came out up until about 5 months ago.

WOW it was fun at first. end of statement.

AOC, LoTR, DAO (god i hope they go fully online!)  Rift.

UO so far has kept my addiction the longest! :)

Edited by blaquerogue

Famous last words..................

It doesnt look like a fire breathing dragon!?

recently Shroud of the Avatar (still in beta) looks as if PVE has pull there more so than PVP at the moment we may pull ahead thanks to a DEV who is PVP, but the graphics are awesome (unity 5)

UO since it first came out up until about 5 months ago.

WOW it was fun at first. end of statement.

AOC, LoTR, DAO (god i hope they go fully online!)  Rift.

UO so far has kept my addiction the longest! :)

Welcome to the fold man.

MUDs were my first MMO; keenly "God Wars:  Dystopia".  Helped build a 2.0 that was never fully released by Graverson.  It was a pretty big deal when he released 1.0, and it soon filled must of MudConnect with start-ups.  I miss the poorly made socks out of it.

My first venture in the graphical world of MMO's would have to be Everquest, and for the sake of answering the OP question would be what I probably call my home.  After quitting Everquest in 2002 I took a sabbatical from most of gaming until Everquest 2/WoW launched.  Then once getting back into it I played everything under the sun until more recently.  Unfortunately, the extended break means I missed some great titles SWG and SB...

[@--(o.O)@]

MUDs were my first MMO; keenly "God Wars:  Dystopia".  Helped build a 2.0 that was never fully released by Graverson.  It was a pretty big deal when he released 1.0, and it soon filled must of MudConnect with start-ups.  I miss the poorly made socks out of it.

My first venture in the graphical world of MMO's would have to be Everquest, and for the sake of answering the OP question would be what I probably call my home.  After quitting Everquest in 2002 I took a sabbatical from most of gaming until Everquest 2/WoW launched.  Then once getting back into it I played everything under the sun until more recently.  Unfortunately, the extended break means I missed some great titles SWG and SB...

i have to say i find the fact you played MUD'S and have a picture of Lincoln to be awesome. .. the two go kinda hand and hand.

Edited by Archiebunker82

PSO>Monster Hunter>Matrix Online>SWG>Xiah>Cabal Online>TSW>PSO2

Me and my buddies are always looking for friendly people to game with. Are you that type of person? Then look us up @ www.seireitei.info ;)

Oh man, my affair with MMOs is an odd one.

I never got into EQ or looked into it, I was at an age where medieval fantasy never really appealed to me, and I was more into science fiction. Still kinda am, in some sense, but my tastes have been refined over the years and I'm more open minded now. WoW was gaining traction when I left middle school, but I could never buy/afford a subscription, and I'd have to get approval from the 'rents man, and that was never going to happen either. So two popular MMOs, I never got to play.

So I started off with the sega dreamcast version of Phantasy Star Online, ironically enough I couldn't get online with that either. I would solo play that game for a while. My childhood was a pretty lonely one, which is great. (People custard suck, most people in my life experiences are either mean-spirited or entitled babies, so I never really found anything but contempt, so MMOs is a good way to keep them at a 10 foot pole without getting too attached during this super angsty phase in high school) So another online game I couldn't really get to touch just yet.

Come around 2006, MMOs started growing and WoW clones, and F2P models were popping up to get in on the cash cow, especially Korean MMOs. Not ashamed to say I got my taste of MMOs from Flyff, because it gave me a lot of ideas, at the very least the bare minimum of what online play meant. But dear god, I have survived the legendary Korean approach to leveling. The Grind was absolutely mental, but I met a lot of people and it was the one MMO I actually connected with people in a guild. That taught me a lot about getting my feet wet and was pretty essential for a blueprint of any MMO I played from that point on, I could be comfortable with it. Looked into Ragnarok Online as well, it was good for its time.

Got even more curious, so I started playing a few other free to play MMOs that popped up, obscure ones that were trying to make their way to the light but were ultimately crushed by typical greed or just directionless. Or sometimes they just felt cheap and cashgrabby and gameplay was an afterthought. Martial Heroes, Conquer Online, MapleStory, GunZ... a bunch others through websites and advertising.

I only started to understand the massive potential of MMOs when I ran across a cyberpunk MMO FPS/Third person shooter hybrid called Face of Mankind. The PvP, the politics, the intrigue of factional warfare and global domination for different planets from Earth, to Andromeda, Mars, Pegasus 51 really opened my eyes. I became closely involved in the Yakuza operating out of a shanty in tokyo earth. We were always at odds with the law enforcement. (You better believe there were crooked police officers, we'd pay them off and finger out the righteous ones so the crooked cops would beat them senseless or shuffle them down the political ladder of their agency. YES, this ACTUALLY HAPPENED IN GAME ON THE PLAYERS OWN ACCORD.) The military left us alone, and other mercenary outfits hated us, but they knew not to step into custard Yakuza turf without my boss's okay and say so. The fact that there were consequences, power, and reputation at stake in a player driven world, with player driven economies drew me into the fantasy. Oh you better believe Yakuza made sure our markets were more competitive in Tokyo than it was in New York or Manhattan, and if you wanted drugs for the PvP boost, you would have to deal with the middleman. Corruption was rife in the goddamn black market!! Nothing on the market terminal that you wanted, you'd have to have connections and people to trust to get it, that is the meaning of your reputation.

It was pretty much Deus Ex, the player ran MMO. Face of Mankind was the first MMO I discovered that I realized not everything has to be a WoW clone to be successful. Where is FoM now? Well it died with its developer butting heads and creative differences, and ignoring the players wishes and suggestions to improve on a steller concept. A revival came around, but it's pretty much a scam and it was acquired by new managment who failed and still fails to see what it really was like. That kind of player driven complexity was only further squandered by bringing in PvE practices like microtransactions and for a time, pay to win. Yea. YEA. They're smoking some good poorly made socks and I want some of it.

Just goes to show how hard it is for MMOs to succeed sometimes and even amazing ones get shelved before they make it. Your popular-by-comparison Shadowbane and Star Wars Galaxies weren't the only one. Face of Mankind was an untold story.

So after FoM died, I was able to play Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst on a private server and I loved every minute of it. Lobby based co-op games aren't bad either, and that was what Guild Wars 1 was, which I also got into in 2007. It's all about how the design works. That's when I started seeing more ideas about how MMOs could work in different ways. WoW was just a polished EQ, and people were on the rush, holding it to be the holy grail at this time still. A lot of clones kept getting popped up and shot down. The Korean MMOs I played burned me out on level grinding completely, so even cake ones like WoW would've destroyed me at this point, and I hated the artificial approach to progression after experiencing the mini and super brief underground Renaissance.

After my experiences, I didn't want anything to do with WoW. I was so glad my parents said no at that day and age, I may not have discovered the underworld that was constantly trying to bend the MMO expectation. Slowly but surely.

I was trying to fill the hole desperately left by Face of Mankind, so I gave EvE Online a shot. I found it immersive and zen-like, and I really enjoyed the sandbox approach to it, which makes me a champion of emergent gameplay thanks to Face of Mankind and EvE. However, I just did not have the patience or dedication for EvE, which felt more like managing a second life rather than a game. Face of Mankind had the politics, and economy that EvE had, and it had an avatar system with which you could shoot (action custard combat, skill based and aimed) and fight in gang-wars to massive battles. In my point of view, it wasn't a step up.

So now I'm just a hooded nomad man, I just wander around peeking into boxes that people are advertising to be great in a crowded bazaar in a middle eastern city, 1100 AD. I thought Guild Wars 2 had a lot of promise with their ideas and vision, but it had its flaws, so I traded that box for another. Tried Elder Scrolls Online, threw that box aside into a sewage canal along with Wildstar. I'm just figuring out if Crowfall is the legendary Pandora's Box that merchants and inhabitants in the slums that were put aside for playerkilling have been whispering through their spiderlike networks throughout this unpronounceable Arabian city. So I wait to pry open this box and see if it will truly end me and the world.

Edited by Lastgirl~

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

my history is:

l2 (short period), rappelz epic 4 (4 years and following epics), Aion from the start to 2.7 or so, Tera from the start till now (still playing from time to time). GW2 (still playing from time to time. Maybe with the new expansion I'm gonna be more active) and lately ArcheAge (quit the game shortly the Auroria fiasco around the time when they introduced the rumbling archeum trees - never gonna go back).

The last game I really have played is Black Desert but I uninstalled it after the recent patches.

For the moment I wait for the GW2 expansion and for Bless KR, 3rd Beta and I'm going to play some BF4 / World of Warships. 

Tried many other mmorpgs for example WoW but I kicked it from my HDD 10 minutes later. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor