Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BATCLAM

Sell-Swords

I was just curious with the whole option of being able to switch sides during a campaign, do you think many sides will buy people with ingame promises of coin/land/etc?

My friends and I were talking about the idea of sell-swords/mercenaries or sell-sword guilds existing in a setting like this. Thoughts?

Edited by BATCLAM

You will likely not be able to. In GvG or FFA, one guild can hire another guild to kill yet another guild's members or take a strategic point and I think this will be a player interaction we'll definitely see. But for Factions, all guilds of a faction are likely to be working together instead of working as individual parties.

By buying people with coins I'm thinking that you mean 3 faction campaigns? Even if you buy them the balanced faction wants to win too. Not likely to happen. I'm not sure what sells-words guild is but judging from the title you probably meant sell-sword guild, which is a merchant/crafting guild? I think having a crafting/merchant guild is fine but swords is just too specific. Your products will only be available to archetypes such as knights, warriors, and templars.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

By buying people with coins I'm thinking that you mean 3 faction campaigns? Even if you buy them the balanced faction wants to win too. Not likely to happen. I'm not sure what sells-words guild is but judging from the title you probably meant sell-sword guild, which is a merchant/crafting guild? I think having a crafting/merchant guild is fine but swords is just too specific. Your products will only be available to archetypes such as knights, warriors, and templars.

Hahaha, is this for real?

He means mercenaries, dude... people who sell their swords to the highest bidder and join that side.

Some of us are building guilds around the concept of kneeling at the beginning of a campaign to fight for someone else and give them an edge in victory. Actually I think we're the only ones actually doing it like that straight. If you want to join up with us in the Stormcrows let me know.

Basically this idea will require more meta gaming and connections so that's what we are looking to build over the course of alpha and beta.

My ganksquad will ofc be offering our services for a fair price. All we are after is ganking people and ruining their day :)

More Lambs... bring it.

I was just curious with the whole option of being able to switch sides during a campaign, do you think many sides will buy people with coin? (ingame currency not real money)

My friends and I were talking about the idea of sells-words or sells-word guilds. Thoughts?

I am sure that will be very common.

not sure why people don't use the word mercenary any more.  I thought this was a crafting discussion.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

not sure why people don't use the word mercenary any more.  I thought this was a crafting discussion.

Because that guy who protects the midget on Game of Thrones said the word sellsword once.

While the term wasn't invented for Game of Thrones, it has made it very popular. It's a fairly common term in fantasy settings now. Expect to see it used a lot in Crowfall as many fans will also be ASOIAF fans.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam

While the term wasn't invented for Game of Thrones, it has made it very popular. It's a fairly common term in fantasy settings now. Expect to see it used a lot in Crowfall as many fans will also be ASOIAF fans.

I sincerely hope we revert back to Mercenary. 

My friends and I are in the middle of planning the creation of a guild. If we manage to recruit enough people to have a sizeable force we will try our hand at standing our own in the campaigns, but if that proves extremely difficult or if we can only get a couple dozen interested people we definitely plan on getting decent and being a mercenary guild. Hopefully other guilds are interested in hired hands. I don't see why at least some of them wouldn't want extra bodies.

I really never see mercenaries work in MMOs.

You thought it was hard to get into a PvP guild because of trust issues?

Have someone on your side that will work for recources only? Please.

A guilds success is not build on long family history of being in power in mmos. You know, keeping the peasants down and reaping the benefits. Getting rich of off others.

It is build on how well they do fighting. And it changes rather quick.

This relates directly to how "wealthy" they are in a campaign.

If they are strong, they will be wealthy. If they are weak they will be poor.

The strong wont have need of hired help and the weak wont have the means to hire them.

On the other hand, there might already be systems in place that will simulate mercenaries.

Take Kneel as an example.

If you kneel to another guild, you will be able to embargo more from the campaign than if you lose.

This is fairly simple. 

And wouldn't that be why someone would hire themselves out as mercenaries in the first place? To export more stuff. Sure seems silly to just get a bunch of "money" in a campaign if you are not planning to either build your own little empire or export some. If you are planning to build your own little empire, aren't you just a normal guild then?

Kneeling will also be a mechanic you are able to change your mind about. So, your little "mercenary band" can change sides during the campaign.

Sure, you will have to be on the winning side somehow to get anything out of it, but that is pretty much how it would work anyways.

There could be a system of sub guilds also. If that isn't already planned to be how the kneel mechanic is working.

But your whole "Band for Hire" system will not be embraced succesfully in game.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

A guilds success is not build on long family history of being in power in mmos. You know, keeping the peasants down and reaping the benefits. Getting rich of off others.

The strong wont have need of hired help and the weak wont have the means to hire them.

On the other hand, there might already be systems in place that will simulate mercenaries.

If you kneel to another guild, you will be able to embargo more from the campaign than if you lose.

This is fairly simple. 

And wouldn't that be why someone would hire themselves out as mercenaries in the first place? To export more stuff. Sure seems silly to just get a bunch of "money" in a campaign if you are not planning to either build your own little empire or export some. If you are planning to build your own little empire, aren't you just a normal guild then?

Kneeling will also be a mechanic you are able to change your mind about. So, your little "mercenary band" can change sides during the campaign.

Sure, you will have to be on the winning side somehow to get anything out of it, but that is pretty much how it would work anyways.

There could be a system of sub guilds also. If that isn't already planned to be how the kneel mechanic is working.

Yea when you explain it like that it definitely makes sense. We would have to export stuff anyway to get payment, which is what everyone will have to do anyway. We really would just be a normal guild. Rather than direct paid for services it would be much more of a standard alliance thing that would work the best. I guess calling ourselves a mercenary troupe is just a fun, romantic idea. More of a roleplaying concept than a gameplay mechanic one. Thanks for the sensible explanation.

This is fairly simple. 

Thank you or the food for thought! Can't tell tone from text, though some of your words seem a little hostile, but that's okay.

I have actually run successful guilds in other MMOs before so I am aware that strength comes from skill/victory and typically speaking the high ranked/better guilds would only take the best people they can find and quickly weed out the unskilled/unreliable. But you won't just have one guild fighting another guild in every campaign, you'll need other guilds and other people, sometimes even just random people who can be fodder or who possibly end up being hidden gems that want no guild at all. 

But this game is also not really like other MMOs. 

I was just curious if other people had considered the idea, being able to buy your way to victory using resources/coin/land/whichever just seemed like something that would possibly happen. Even so building a trust on something other than just "hey we should work together" might help prevent people from "jumping ship" when their team starts to lose. I can already see guilds trying to have spies, which is something that was brought up on one of the twitter Q&As.

I wouldn't really call it "my" system, I just thought it would make an interesting discussion. I haven't really thought about what my guild situation would be at launch.

Edited by BATCLAM

I'm sorry the word sell-sword seems to be misleading or upsetting people, I really am indifferent to what word people use. It has been changed.

I will admit it was just the first word that popped into my head since I'm in the middle of reading GoT.

Edited by BATCLAM