Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Love Them Tornados

Kyranleskil

Love it when tornados come ripping through Huntsville, spending all that time in the bath-tub…with the wife and puppies. I even had time to make a tin-foil hat. Still have power…for now.

"But now I'm safe in the eye of the tornado
I can't replace the lies,that let a 1000 days go
No more living trapped inside
Anyway I'll surely die
In the eye of the tornado,blow me away"

I had that song and Creeping Death playing in my head.

Love it when tornados come ripping through Huntsville, spending all that time in the bath-tub…with the wife and puppies. I even had time to make a tin-foil hat. Still have power…for now.

"But now I'm safe in the eye of the tornado

I can't replace the lies,that let a 1000 days go

No more living trapped inside

Anyway I'll surely die

In the eye of the tornado,blow me away"

I had that song and Creeping Death playing in my head.

I am down here between Ttown and Bham, we heard about the warning.   Did my time of bathtub sitting.   Hoping we aren't heading for the basement too tonight.  Not looking good. My prayers are with ya'll.  Stay safe.   Let us know ya'll are ok.   

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Well dang it all to Bham and back, the lightning is frequent and the thunder is a rollin'.....................

Time for Garth      https://youtu.be/8oMD9BRJHIA

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Live in the South-complain about severe weather.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

This poorly made socks happens every Spring.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

stay safe all of you...

and Ellie, look out for falling houses

just sayin'...

Bwahahahaha!  I'll get you my pretty......you and your little battle pet too.....

Too may Glindas anyways.  And Wizards for that matter:)

And we did have a flying monkey.....................

Gonna be a long night.

It's heading your way  CYT.   Stay safe.

Ugh tornadoes. One of the worse part about it (besides being hit) is the usual hail damage it brings. Glad I live closer to the Gulf now. Stay safe!

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

If its a common problem that happens yearly why dont you build some kind of tornado resistant shelter ? maybe government builds those ?

Most homes and structures in that region are built with that in mind and have government regulations enforcing certain steps builders need to take to rate it against tornadoes. Unfortunately, with the worst of them there's not much you can do to protect yourself. Also, having a government structure for people to go to would force you on the road...which is a huge no no.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Most homes and structures in that region are built with that in mind and have government regulations enforcing certain steps builders need to take to rate it against tornadoes. Unfortunately, with the worst of them there's not much you can do to protect yourself. Also, having a government structure for people to go to would force you on the road...which is a huge no no.

If you get below the earth surface, tornado does not get you, or it does ? or its the property people are more concerned with ?

if it doesnt get you below the surface could just dig a basement in or near your house with a tunnel leading like 15 meters outside and to the surface, in case house collapces above.

you could probably make a fortune there building these :P

Edited by rajah

If you get below the earth surface, tornado does not get you, or it does ? or its the property people are more concerned with ?

if it doesnt get you below the surface could just dig a basement in or near your house with a tunnel leading like 15 meters outside and to the surface, in case house collapces above.

you could probably make a fortune there building these :P

It's very expensive to dig deep in the south and build structure. I know in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana at least it is mostly clay (which also causes a lot of flooding issues). In colder climates you usually have to dig deeper to set foundation and the soil is more forgiving, so it's free space. But in the south its easier to just set the foundation on top and not worry about soil expansion. I know i don't know as much as some people who do construction for a living so I'm sure someone else can chime in.

I hated tornado warnings in the South. At least in socal, I'll be surprised by an earthquake.

Whenever I think of tornados, I think of that mom whose son died in a tornado and the last text she got was something like "I'm scared mom" :(

@ rajah   Primal is right.   It is the density of the ground, the earth here, at least in my area.   The area not only has clay but a lot of iron and iron ore.  Birmingham is known and grew around the mining industry.   A huge statue of Vulcan was even erected at the cities higher point to watch over it all.  The mountain is named aptly  "Red Mountain".  Due to the amount of ore in the soil.   And the clay.   The mud, when it rains is reddish rather than brown due to the high content.   I am lucky, I have a basement.  At the furthest part it has double thick blocks , all surrounded by earth. It is my "place of safety".   Everyone is encouraged to have one and a safety plan.  Sometimes though,those places become tombs if the structure collapses in on itself.   Usually flying debris and head injuries is what kills ppl.  

@ headlight.   Ikr?   No one can actually imagine the feeling when you hear those sirens.   I have a Noaa radio that also sounds the "alarm"  and its battery checked continually.   Regular thunderstorms are actually even more intense in this part of the States, the proximatey to the Gulf and the stream.  Also the temp down here.  But you KNOW.   So many stories like you stated occurred and were publicized after the April 27th, 2011 one ( 64  dead in Ttown , 300 plus over the track of the storm) .   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tuscaloosa%E2%80%93Birmingham_tornado.   It also brought out the "best" in ppl.  The community came together like it can never do otherwise.   

For those bored this explains it better than anything I can type  https://youtu.be/20F6GV7gZsU

Well, the sky is blue this morning and the birds are singing although cooler.  So glad everyone made it through the storm.    Prays of thankfulness have been sent :)

Edited by ellie

I always hate making room for my car in my garage, but I did last night when the nados came through Chattanooga.

Cannibal Man - Future serial killer

I can't even.  You win, I am done with this part of the discussion.