Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

Gordon Walton - Are You The One Who Brought Us The Nge?

lets be honest, Crowfall has a pretty damn good chance of being awful, I only backed it because there is like a 10% chance it'll end up being good

I don't see that at all. I suppose if I *had* to go with the 'theme' I might say (and I am NOT saying it) that CF will become just a tiny little PvP game that quietly fades away after a few years. I think the chances of it being "good" are extremely good. How you define "good" is the operative word. It's already breaking new ground in the gaming industry, with it's voxels and transient, randomly generated worlds. The problem, IF it comes, is that it is a PvP game, and there are always a lot of emotions involved with them. There is an interesting persistence system with the EK, but it's too early to say if this will be enough to entice players to hang out for long after the combat gets boring.

I put the chances to be 'good' well over 80%. The next 3 to 6 months will be telling!

eEvERiW.jpg

Hello Gordon,

I want to say thank you! It takes a lot of balls to say what you did. I was in my early 20's when SWG launched. SWG was my first MMO and to this day I do not think anything compares to it. We had so many features that you can only find in bits and pieces in other games.

I was in my early 20's and just gotten out of the military, I was too inexperienced with the corporate world to fully understand how your world management and mine could be so different. Now that I'm in my 30's and in management myself, I can see how you felt. It wasn't your fault though. You came up with an idea for a seperate game that could live within SWG world in order to gain more suscribers. You did all you could in voicing your opinion and even told them the risk they will run if they moved forward. It even cost you your job.

The fault still lies with the brass on this one. It's good to hear that you guys loved the game as much as we did. I'm pretty sure that if the brass had listened to your recommendation, SWG would still be alive today. WoW is still thriving, but WoW type games were never able to hold my attention.

The last game I had hope for was ArchAge. It was the closest thing to SWG. And that is just it, we keep trying to go back to games like SWG. You said it yourself, we still compare and bring up SWG to every game that comes out. You guys are like that first love we had and try to compare every other girlfriend to. I guess in a way I hope that makes you fee a little better. You guys made something that we still love to this day. Thank you and your crew for all the hard work you put into SWG!

Now some lame story about how I started in SWG. I use to only play FPS games back then and my friends convinced me to play SWG with them in like June 2003, I think? I thought "what the hell" and went for it. They said to join Farstar as it was a new server. I'm from California , and I had no clue it was a Euro server. That right there is something you don't seem to find much of either. The ability to play with Euro folk. Early on I wondered why so many people could speak German and other languages. I just guessed that the RPG folks were a different crowd. I laughed for a good while when I found out that I was the foreigner :)

When the CU hit, I was upset, but I didn't lose too many friends who left. At the end of the CU before the NGE, I actually thought it was better than Pre-CU. The NGE did kill it for me. I tried to stick around as long as I could, but 95% of my buddies left. It was freaking hard to say good bye

Wow, now I want to know the reason why every MMO out there failed.

Btw, why is Crowfall budget so low compared to SWG? (<18$m and it was barely enough)

Crowfall's scope is vastly less than SWG. Incredibly less. That's not a knock by any means either. As GW said, they built their own game engine, CF is using a commercial one. The game systems available even just at launch dwarf CF. 8-10 static worlds, 32 professions that could be mixed and matched, the resource system feeding into crafting, building out the Star Wars IP, of course, and IIRC they were already working on JtL, vehicles, and player cities right around the time the game launched. SWG was just a "bigger" game than Crowfall. Again, that isn't a dig at CF. They are just different games, and CF is a more pvp-centric one where WE provide the content.

Also, 18 million *in* 2001-2003 is a lot more than it looks like in 2015. Any econo-heads wanna suggest what 18m in 2001 converts to in 2015? 

Edited by toxophile

eEvERiW.jpg

Well, IMO, which may not be worth much, I think these devs have created some extremely successful games that have extremely devoted fan bases.  How could they not be?   Perhaps, bringing us all together , from much different backgrounds was to give each group some of what they want and expose them to the aspects they think they do not care for?   Bring some of each of the BEST of each game to CF.   The PvP from SB, the Housing from W101, the crafting from SWG.   Perhaps setting it in an open sandbox enviorment with no Uncle Bob encourages those that do not like some things to try, even though they may not like it much.  And making it interdependent makes trying almost a must.   Niche but for Everyone.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Oh, and the ability to talk to the other faction and actually do stuff was them is something I haven't found in any of today's games. I made some awesome friends who I still keep in touch with to this day because of that feature.

Thank you for this.  I remember you from the SWG forums talking with players, likely after the Combat Upgrade, with the same clarity and genuine regard for what players had to say as you show here.

You really stood out for me as someone who understood player concerns but who needed to be an intermediary for the people working behind the scenes to make the game a success.  A rarity then and now. 

I can't see that your creative proposal to add a separate game system that would add gameplay for those who enjoyed the Galactic Civil War makes you responsible for what came to pass.

I'm certain this time around that you will show everyone what it means to fight and win with all honor.

why do you guys keep making these custard stupid "are you responsible for" topics

do you get that game devs dont usually get free reign on this kind of stuff

more than likely some high up person at the company said "hey, make the game more palatable to a bigger group of people" and so he did

its not like they decided to just do stuff for poorly made sockss and giggles

gtlLXYT.png

I don't see that at all. I suppose if I *had* to go with the 'theme' I might say (and I am NOT saying it) that CF will become just a tiny little PvP game that quietly fades away after a few years. I think the chances of it being "good" are extremely good. How you define "good" is the operative word. It's already breaking new ground in the gaming industry, with it's voxels and transient, randomly generated worlds. The problem, IF it comes, is that it is a PvP game, and there are always a lot of emotions involved with them. There is an interesting persistence system with the EK, but it's too early to say if this will be enough to entice players to hang out for long after the combat gets boring.

I put the chances to be 'good' well over 80%. The next 3 to 6 months will be telling!

I'm not trying to be mean of overly negative

its just, most sandbox games end up being pretty terrible

I hope the game is good, its just there is a pretty awful track record on them so far

gtlLXYT.png

I do have a very important question for you though: When will we see the 'new SWG', and will it be done by an experienced developer team? When will we see the deep resource and crafting games, the social aspect woven into the fabric of the game, awesome professions like Creature Handler and BioEngineer and the pet system, a player-managed political system (and professions), space and ground games, and the wildly varied combat choices?

I ask the question knowing that The Repopulation is out there luring SWG people in. My first couple impressions are poor mostly due to what appears to be a significant lack of money and experienced AAA developers. Maybe I am way off, but that's my impression from playing a game that has been in development for more than a couple years already. Their scope is also much smaller than SWG was, and honestly, the crafting actually seems to be too complicated right now, heh. And I love crafting!

Follow up question: Why are so many game studio's so obsessed with making wow clones? I totally get that the big games exist solely to make money for the studio. No problem there. But why can't more of them do what Crowfall is doing and make a game NOT designed for/hoped to knock Blizzard off the top of the money pile?

I would be remiss if I didn't ask: Will Crowfall ever see some of the social professions/aspects of SWG? Will player housing in Crowfall be at least on-par with SWG in that we can decorate the interior as we wish and pick from multiple house styles? Will we ever see a replica of SWG Player Cities in CF using EK? As in, a city EK opened up as it's own entity, "owned" by whatever character is currently voted to lead the 'city'?

Thanks again for the info. Very interesting!

A couple of meaty questions that should really have their own threads, but not in this one.  Will we every see a new SWG?  Why do so many studios make WOW clones?  Our Eternal Kingdoms and housing are really not like SWG housing, but that's also another thread.  Crowfall can't be SWG, it's gotta be what it is.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

A couple of meaty questions that should really have their own threads, but not in this one.  Will we every see a new SWG?  Why do so many studios make WOW clones?  Our Eternal Kingdoms and housing are really not like SWG housing, but that's also another thread.  Crowfall can't be SWG, it's gotta be what it is.

I swear I heard hearts breaking when you posted GW.   But I am sure everyone appreciates the transparency.   I want CF to be something different.  That's why a lot of us are here.  

Edited by ellie

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I think that for me, I'm not after another SWG.  You can't go home again and I'm not the same passenger that left the station.

But I would love to see the same open world feel as SWG and the sense of excitement as the unknown gets mapped out.    I'd love to have a community again like SWG had, with enough player driven interactions to make even the FFA PvP planets a blast to be on for my little snackcake self.  I want enough room in the game structure to be creative and build a trade empire like I did in SWG.   The crafting system does not have to mirror SWG but I'm really hoping it's intricate and that brainpower is the driving force behind success in crafting.

So far CF seems to doing just fine not being SWG.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

why do you guys keep making these custard stupid "are you responsible for" topics

do you get that game devs dont usually get free reign on this kind of stuff

more than likely some high up person at the company said "hey, make the game more palatable to a bigger group of people" and so he did

its not like they decided to just do stuff for poorly made sockss and giggles

Do you realize who started the thread?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Hello Gordon,

Thanks for the info. Just want to point out one thing.

I still can't smuggle.

Do you think Crowfall will change that?

This is the best reply I've seen so far ;)

I role play a wordsmith.

Absolutely fascinating insight on his perspective. I am thoroughly impressed by your willingness to admit your mistakes. Many aren't willing to do that these days. Now lets see how you improve on those errors going forward with this new game Crowfall. :)

I'm not an idiot, I simply choose not to think.

2CdBx2L.png

@GordonWalton

you saw the issue and brought it up. but they didn't listen so it's their fault either way. "the greatest harm may result from the best intentions".

with that aside i really hope this game makes it up there in the top 10 lists of greatest mmo games of all times.

a lot of what happens to some good mmo's that "burn out and fade away" is the greed factor. *big boss see's potential to save money, fires a well skilled employee in favor of 2 or more cheaper less skilled workers. then attempts to do the same in every department in order to make ends meet, rather than re-evaluating where they can make others happier in order to help build the game up better.*

i am hoping there will be a ton of "costumes and customizations" people can get with some form of in game buyable+tradeable credits. i see in many games this is what people , especially role-players go crazy for. the tradable credit being a highly sought after item. would help a bit with the $$ maintain the game . (both of which is the only thing keeping rift alive ... which is what i am currently playing .) 

Edited by inflames21

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

Crowfall can't be SWG, it's gotta be what it is.

Not SWG...but a Semi-Spiritual successor maybe? :)

(+1 with SB of course)

Fair enough! If you find yourself in the SWG boards one day, either I or someone else may start up a thread or two about that stuff. As for the EK/housing, I'm sure we'll see some more info soon considering you have stated that the EK parcel/cell system needs to be done soon since it's used in the Dying Worlds. Hopefully the more cosmetic stuff is being worked on at the same time? I know I don't need to tell you about the need for fluffy stuff like this is make the player base stickier....

eEvERiW.jpg

Fair enough! If you find yourself in the SWG boards one day, either I or someone else may start up a thread or two about that stuff. As for the EK/housing, I'm sure we'll see some more info soon considering you have stated that the EK parcel/cell system needs to be done soon since it's used in the Dying Worlds. Hopefully the more cosmetic stuff is being worked on at the same time? I know I don't need to tell you about the need for fluffy stuff like this is make the player base stickier....

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps the need for fluffier stuff and providing it is not the main reason why ACE hoped anyone was attracted to this game.  Hopefully, when game is launched and active for awhile, the player base is "stickied"  because it is a great game with great gameplay.  Hard for me to believe the ability, or not to hang a picture on a wall, place potted plants on a table, or change the wall color scheme would be a deal breaker in an otherwise great game.