ZtyX

TAB target vs. Crosshair manual aim  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like most?

• TAB target.
    • Crosshair manual aim.
    • Other (please explain)

TAB target vs. Manual crosshair aim

What do you prefer, if you could choose freely?

- From a gameplay perspective and not considering any technical obstacles, etc.. that developers might have (bla bla bla). I want to know how you like to play your games.

Edited by ZtyX

I think there's a number of threads where this has been discussed at length already?

Also a bit one-sided discussion as I think the only one promoting tab-targeting is BSR more or less.

Officer of The BlackHand Order

I prefer tab targeting, but I'm fine with anything.

IHaKjRO.png

"Crowfall's evolution has been interesting: when we started, the game leaned much more heavily on survival mechanics. over time we added more and more strategy and pulled the survival mechanics. by launch, we'll be the most strategic virtual universe (IMO surpassing Eve Online)" - J. Todd Coleman, January 5th 2020

For a skill-based combat, it isn't difficult to determine which one of the two combat systems wins.

I don't think either of the systems determine skills needed. For example tab targeting with 40 abilities would require more skill than action combat with 4 abilities.

IHaKjRO.png

"Crowfall's evolution has been interesting: when we started, the game leaned much more heavily on survival mechanics. over time we added more and more strategy and pulled the survival mechanics. by launch, we'll be the most strategic virtual universe (IMO surpassing Eve Online)" - J. Todd Coleman, January 5th 2020

This poll could be written as "would you prefer to play Crowfall or a tab target game?" We have been clearly told there will not be tab targeting.

Also, this isn't a suggestion, so wrong forum.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Actually, it is a suggestion because it shows the developers what we want and we are suggesting that. It's a form of contribution.

I don't think either of the systems determine skills needed. For example tab targeting with 40 abilities would require more skill than action combat with 4 abilities.

Maybe you're just giving an example, but it sounds a bit like you don't believe manual crosshair aim combat systems can have a lot of abilities. I should tell you that Darkfall Online had over 100 spells and you could have them all available in your 10 hotbars and every hotbar slot could have its' own hotkey. I did that and played that game like musicians play instruments. It was very fast paced and fun. The abilities were straight forward and skill was determined by your movement, your aim, your speed, your courage and even your communication skills.

This poll could be written as "would you prefer to play Crowfall or a tab target game?" We have been clearly told there will not be tab targeting.

Also, this isn't a suggestion, so wrong forum.

How will we aim ranged attacks?
Edited by ZtyX

How is this a suggestion?  Your explanation for why it's a suggestion is ludicrous.  You're not suggesting anything, you're asking people what they prefer.  The combat in terms of tab-target/mouse look has already been decided.  /thread

Move thread imo.

Depends on how twitchy the gameplay will become.  If its manual aim with Counter Strike precision and speed, then I am down.

But aiming at someones head and shooting 50 arrows at it seems kinda pointless to me.

Edited by zinnie

Depends on how twitchy the gameplay will become.  If its manual aim with Counter Strike precision and speed, then I am down.

But aiming at someones head and shooting 50 arrows at it seems kinda pointless to me.

I could be wrong but I don't think the combat system will have a need for that much precision. Which is why I don't think KB&M would have an inherent advantage over gamepad.   Abilities will be aimed but I bet the hitboxes will be large to accommodate melee combat, and I highly doubt headshots will even be a thing (though they may have an ability with that name).  To have that level of precision in melee combat you would need combat akin to Mount and Blade or Chivalry, which have combat based on the move set to individual weapon types and not a range of abilities determined by archetype.  All indications I've seen suggest that this is not the direction.  Who knows until alpha? /shrug.  But having some level of aiming, combined with enough abilities so that knowing which to use and when is hard to master, then the system will be complex enough to create a distinction between skilled/unskilled players. 

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

God.. No, just no. Number of skills really don't have that much relevance to degree of skill. :/ as long as it's adequate that is, 4 is definitely too little for a mmorpg.

Officer of The BlackHand Order

Wanting skilled play is fine, but when you introduce ranged characters expecting 100% crosshair dedication is absurd.

How would it be fair for a Stalker to have to aim at a running, swirling, dashing target from great distance with great accuracy to be effective, where a Knight just has to have his slashes in a general direction? And in the opposite respect, how would it be fair that a Stalker could hit a Knight at any distance? Without tab-targeting or something like it, you can't know whether you're in range to deal damage. Any range would obviously be overpowered, and limited range requires some kind of tab-targeting. You can't have the Stalker's arrows just not registering their hits or vanishing into thin air in an open-world game because he was a few yards off, especially without him knowing precise ranges of his targets.

Maybe some slight auto-aim help is the answer. Maybe range distance over character's heads is. To divide the subject into the two extremes of "WoW-like tab-targeting" and "Counter-Strike precision" is absurd because one is played out and the other is impractical.

Can someone post a youtube link with video showing an mmo that uses tab targeting and a mmo that uses crosshairs? I'm a visual person so seeing the two systems play out would be good.

Edited by Holyvigil

I'll be odd man out and say other. The best targeting system I've personally seen combined the 2 very well.  Warships Online used a 3rd person shooter mechanic that had an auto aim system, but it wouldn't account for the target's speed so against small fast ships you'd likely miss at a longer range. It was also good for dog fighting tactics in the game where manual aiming would've been incredibly difficult, and on faster ships the auto aim would be very slippery and the crosshair would slide around a lot. Manual aiming was used to take out smaller ships from long range and also shoot players hidden by the fog of war. It was just a nice system, but I know that won't work here or within the designs of most games.

That logic is pretty terrible. That's like saying "a Honda Civic is a better car than a Maserati if the Maserati doesn't have a transmission installed". You can't just add in wholly unrelated systems, give one a clear advantage, and then pretend you've made an equal comparison. 

Can someone post a youtube link with video showing an mmo that uses tab targeting and a mmo that uses crosshairs? I'm a visual person so seeing the two systems play out would be good.

Manual aim: You can miss an attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdcVZ-Ru34A

TAB target is when you press TAB to select an enemy and then you just press your hotbar to select and fire the skills u want with 100% accuracy unless something prevents you from it.

Edited by ZtyX

Tab Targeting just works. Sure, it isn't the best solution out there, but it is A LOT better than poorly implemented manual aim.

I play a lot FPS, and it works for a number of reasons that hard to implement in a MMO. First, 20% hit rate is actually very good. Second, controlling weapon is very important, you have kick-up, you have auto vs. single shot, you have prone vs. running spread, you have shotgun vs. SMG vs. ridle, you have zoomed vs. unzoomed firing.

Could most of this be implemented well in a MMO? Probably not. FPS designers spend A LOT of time getting every aspect of this right without having to worry about many, many other systems MMO must have.

The likely choice is poorly implemented manual aim vs. tab targeting... and in that case I'd rather have tab targeting.

skill and reaction VS memorie and boredom

It is twitch vs. timing.

Manual aim rewards players for an ability to jump up, spin 360, then land head shot on someone chasing you while keep running away in zig-zag pattern. Most of the time doesn't even matter what you are shooting, as it is about how well you can avoid getting hit vs. how well you aim.

Tab targeting reward players for knowing all abilities, picking correct one for any given situation, and using it at the right time. Things like attack-counter attack, negation, interrupting becomes important.

These threads always turn into tab-target players creating horrible arguments as to why their system isn't outdated. 

Wanting skilled play is fine, but when you introduce ranged characters expecting 100% crosshair dedication is absurd.

How would it be fair for a Stalker to have to aim at a running, swirling, dashing target from great distance with great accuracy to be effective, where a Knight just has to have his slashes in a general direction? And in the opposite respect, how would it be fair that a Stalker could hit a Knight at any distance? Without tab-targeting or something like it, you can't know whether you're in range to deal damage. Any range would obviously be overpowered, and limited range requires some kind of tab-targeting. You can't have the Stalker's arrows just not registering their hits or vanishing into thin air in an open-world game because he was a few yards off, especially without him knowing precise ranges of his targets.

Maybe some slight auto-aim help is the answer. Maybe range distance over character's heads is. To divide the subject into the two extremes of "WoW-like tab-targeting" and "Counter-Strike precision" is absurd because one is played out and the other is impractical.

Just use your head, learn the mechanics of the game and you'll be aight.

Edited by sheen