Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lethality

Virtual World or Video Game?

This can be a complex topic, but let's start with a simple question for the devs... !

Will the game world be:

more "Virtual World"

• A seamless persistent world that includes non-combat systems and elements that "simulate" a real world, such as travel, nutrition, commerce, etc.

or more "Video Game"

• An instanced or lobby world with some open areas with a narrow focus on combat and pure gameplay without regards to things such as travel, commerce, etc.

Note, those descriptors are of my own making off the top of my head; I hope they captured the sentiment of what I'm going for. And this is different than a sandbox/themepark discussion, really.

I'm also posting a poll to see what potential players might prefer :)  I purposely left off a "mix of both" because I really want to see what choices players will make!

Edit: Well I failed at the poll. Don't know where it went. Hrmph.

zjsbjmn.png

It's not really one or the other. There are other options, and more so than just "a mix of both."

I used to favor the "virtual world" option. In fact, there was a time when I thought it was disappointing that MMOs are trending away from world-building in favor of emphasizing theme park gameplay elements.

Not anymore though. Currently I only care about top-level PvP or PvE combat. Which is why I currently like fighting games and instanced multiplayer action rpgs. And I do understand that's probably not what this game will be about.

A mix of both is definitely preferred. A seamless open world to run around in. But instanced for things larger than duels (2v2, 5v5, 10v10, 100v100) especially sieges. If you've ever lost a city 20 v 100 you know why instancing to insure even or near even numbers is important.

A mix of both is definitely preferred. A seamless open world to run around in. But instanced for things larger than duels (2v2, 5v5, 10v10, 100v100) especially sieges. If you've ever lost a city 20 v 100 you know why instancing to insure even or near even numbers is important.

This probably isn't the game you're looking for.  More than likely it will be a political intrigue/warfare game.  All's fair in love and war.  If you lost a city 20 v 100, you disgruntled off the wrong people, or need to get better at your diplomacy to secure allies or negotiate a peace.

I hope this game is controlled by the players.  Not arbitrary restrictions like enforcing fair numbers.  If the players don't like seeing it 20 v 100, then they better get off their asses to the siege and help the side with 20.  If the side with 20 loses, time to get some allies, or pledge fealty under a larger nation for protection, or simply relocate to a safer area.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

This probably isn't the game you're looking for.  More than likely it will be a political intrigue/warfare game.  All's fair in love and war.  If you lost a city 20 v 100, you disgruntled off the wrong people, or need to get better at your diplomacy to secure allies or negotiate a peace.

I hope this game is controlled by the players.  Not arbitrary restrictions like enforcing fair numbers.  If the players don't like seeing it 20 v 100, then they better get off their asses to the siege and help the side with 20.  If the side with 20 loses, time to get some allies, or pledge fealty under a larger nation for protection, or simply relocate to a safer area.

I think its way to early to be anywhere near that specific on what you think the game is... too many assumptions!

I definitely thing that for a game to be engaging today, it needs to embrace virtual world concepts strongly. If the *only* focus is combat, it will never live up to the games that do combat well (non-MMOs).

We simply don't need another combat-focused game without the rest of the world to balance it out.

zjsbjmn.png

Virtual world.  But a mixture of both.  I don't want PvP and if the battle is solely PvP, I'm out of here, but I do want some quests with baddies to fight.  

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

Lol absolutely not. If you can't handle politics and can't guarantee yourself defensive pacts then maybe you shouldn't own a city with 20 people when opposing force is out powering you. Instancing sieges to create forced on abstract balancing mechanism is not what a conquest based sandboxish mmo should be about. If you want  balanced fights pick yourself a MnB server and organize large scale even number battles.

I think its way to early to be anywhere near that specific on what you think the game is... too many assumptions!

I definitely thing that for a game to be engaging today, it needs to embrace virtual world concepts strongly. If the *only* focus is combat, it will never live up to the games that do combat well (non-MMOs).

We simply don't need another combat-focused game without the rest of the world to balance it out.

Have you read anything that's on the front page of this website?

Virtual world, please. 

Massive virtual world. 

North Dakota big. 

(I am crazy but I can dream). 

Took the words right out of my mouth. MMO's are supposed to be real worlds, if I wanted to play a game I would play an rpg offline.

While I agree that sieges shouldn't limit numbers and be instanced, but have you ever experienced a open castle siege on the base server where everything lagged horribly whether you were part of the siege or not? I don't know about instanced, but there definitely needs to be a system in place to keep things running smoothly. Maybe the system registers a siege is going on and takes memory from one location to allocate to the siege. Or maybe make it instanced but anyone can enter and no limit so that it's on it's own network/hardware and doesn't slow down the rest of the world.

While I agree that sieges shouldn't limit numbers and be instanced, but have you ever experienced a open castle siege on the base server where everything lagged horribly whether you were part of the siege or not? I don't know about instanced, but there definitely needs to be a system in place to keep things running smoothly. Maybe the system registers a siege is going on and takes memory from one location to allocate to the siege. Or maybe make it instanced but anyone can enter and no limit so that it's on it's own network/hardware and doesn't slow down the rest of the world.

Yes, precisely. This is exactly what EvE online does. Before a siege happens (it takes a while to plan) they bolster the system clusters performance. I'm sure something similar could be done for this game. It is important to prevent as much lag as possible. That said, I'm sure some will be inevitable. We don't have quantum computers and google fiber worldwide yet. 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

Yes, precisely. This is exactly what EvE online does. Before a siege happens (it takes a while to plan) they bolster the system clusters performance. I'm sure something similar could be done for this game. It is important to prevent as much lag as possible. That said, I'm sure some will be inevitable. We don't have quantum computers and google fiber worldwide yet. 

Yet! But they are in Austin where Google Fiber is coming. I'm sure that'll help server stability.

I was thinking the same thing. Probably not a coincidence, in fact.  ;)

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche