Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellie

Spies, Espionage, James Bond And You.

Seems to be a popular topic with some these days.   Have heard much "talk"  regarding infiltration, intel and spy machines. Worlds domination!!  How significant of a factor to success do YOU think things like this will play in Crowfall?   Is that a sub-game to the real game or is it "the game"?   The key to "success"?    Would love to hear opinions and stories.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Comparing to EVE Online, the "spy stuff" I enjoyed the most was in-game. Tracking enemy fleet movements, setting up ambushes, scouting out hidden caches or parked ships. More "commando" than "spy." But it was played in-game, and I could see the impact of my actions in-game.

The meta-level stuff was fun too, but only to read about, for me. You know, as a rank-and-file player, I never had time or interest in the forum or chat games. Those guys would spend months out-of-game to set up an incredible betrayal, which was executed in-game with the flick of a switch. Boom. Suddenly BoB is owned by GoonSwarm or something. Again... after the fact, it's awesome to read the story.

Many people feel that way about EVE politics - they'd rather read about the intrigue than be a victim of it. Imagine being a straightforward player, putting months of in-game work into building your team's campaign, and suddenly, one day, the enemy simply does away with it all, without even a fight, because one of their dudes conned their way into high-ranking membership and pressed the "disband corp" button. Except for that button press, it all happened out-of-game - you had no idea. It makes for a great story to read - but the player might feel disenfranchised, especially if they're new and didn't plan a buffer for themselves.

Not bitter here - it's one of the things that makes EVE as unique as it is!

It'll be curious to see how the finite nature of the campaign worlds impacts espionage in Crowfall; spies won't have the luxury of spending years building trust as they do in EVE. We could end up seeing a betrayal season in the final moments of the campaigns, as players work to rack up the most resources / territory right before the end. It'd make an interesting parallel to the PvE side of the game becoming increasingly difficult as time goes on to have it happen in the player-driven metagame as well. 

So, people take this stuff seriously?   Interesting.   I guess perhaps it is a game unto it self.  The destruction of people, their moral, their game.   Sounds more toxic than any forumbane I can imagine.   Have to wonder if these are people with fanatical tendencies who need to live a full fantasy life, at all times, not just while in game.   Seems to me it would take so much time................. 

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

It'll be curious to see how the finite nature of the campaign worlds impacts espionage in Crowfall; spies won't have the luxury of spending years building trust as they do in EVE. We could end up seeing a betrayal season in the final moments of the campaigns, as players work to rack up the most resources / territory right before the end. It'd make an interesting parallel to the PvE side of the game becoming increasingly difficult as time goes on to have it happen in the player-driven metagame as well.

Spies will be able to join guilds and follow them from campaign to campaign. This will create an interesting dynamic, though... the separate campaigns reduce the potential scope of any one major player defection.

Spies will be able to join guilds and follow them from campaign to campaign. This will create an interesting dynamic, though... the separate campaigns reduce the potential scope of any one major player defection.

True the very fact that the campaigns will end will tend to curb the Worlds Domination!  people.    

So, people take this stuff seriously? Interesting. I guess perhaps it is a game unto it self. The destruction of people, their moral, their game. Sounds more toxic than any forumbane I can imagine. Have to wonder if these are people with fanatical tendencies who need to live a full fantasy life, at all times, not just while in game. Seems to me it would take so much time.................

Very seriously. For example, they will infiltrate each other's forums and mirror all the content to a separate page where their organization can view it at their leisure. This is for the major players, though. Smaller organizations will just have someone's spy alt parked in them.

The one character per campaign restriction is going to make alt-spying pretty much a non-issue. They're going to have to commit to it. 

The one character per campaign per account restriction does nothing to prevent multiple account users from spying.  So I wouldn't be too hasty to call it a non-issue.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Very seriously. For example, they will infiltrate each other's forums and mirror all the content to a separate page where their organization can view it at their leisure. This is for the major players, though. Smaller organizations will just have someone's spy alt parked in them.

Yea, so I am aware.   Seems rather silly and childish though.   As if any guild of any "status" would put actual battle plans out in the open like that.   I guess they count on an "innocence" factor until someone gets burned.   

The one character per campaign per account restriction does nothing to prevent multiple account users from spying.  So I wouldn't be too hasty to call it a non-issue.

So what you are saying is that ppl will actually purchase multiple accounts and maintain them all in the name of " espionage"?   Interesting.   

True - good point.

So what you are saying is that ppl will actually purchase multiple accounts and maintain them all in the name of " espionage"?   Interesting.   

Oh yes, absolutely. Hell, I even had multiple accounts in WoW just to track people I wanted to gank with /who, and that game didn't even reward you for it while having a subscription requirement.

Yea, so I am aware.   Seems rather silly and childish though.   As if any guild of any "status" would put actual battle plans out in the open like that.   I guess they count on an "innocence" factor until someone gets burned.   

It's not like they just walk in the door and start getting handed for stuff. These people spend years becoming a part of the guild, moving up in the leadership, etc... You should read up EVE a bit. Some really fascinating stuff has happened there.

Goes way further than this as well. Check out this post on reddit about a corporation that embedded hidden watermarks in their forums in order to catch spies leaking information in their corp. This is specifically about screenshots but I believe they also used unicode characters as watermarks for text based leaks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/1ftvub/pl_forum_watermarking_unmasked_and_explained/

Goes way further than this as well. Check out this post on reddit about a corporation that embedded hidden watermarks in their forums in order to catch spies leaking information in their corp. This is specifically about screenshots but I believe they also used unicode characters as watermarks for text based leaks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/1ftvub/pl_forum_watermarking_unmasked_and_explained/

WOW!    I am such a N00B.    Getting an education here.    Probably inside intel ( names!)   can be sold at a premium too.   Never thought of that angle really.   

I sometimes play WoT and they type o7 - I think in term it means salute or something like that.  ^_^

Besides, I don't think it will affect the end results with good espionage - and to know what the other hostile guild is doing is part of being a good 

viable scout to report enemy movements and positioning without the need to infiltrate their guild.

It'll be hard to see which guilds participating in the different campaigns too in the beginning, because some guilds use other

banners to conceal their true identity early in-game. I believe that you will have greater chance of success in a campaign doing a solid political decision, and, of course, skills matters in your guild, and how high level of cooperation among players; target calling, and overall communication with the remaining alliance.

Edited by Mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

So basically  there will probably be some serious folks who fancy themselves " James Bond"  wanting to turn CF in Eve?  Because they had "power"  there and want to continue their game here?  

Edited by ellie