Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZaphodBeeblebrox

Fun With Voxels

Less like Minecraft, more like Red Faction.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I mean I guess "theoretically" you could do that, but remember its not "building" like in minecraft, but more chipping away like chiseling a stone statue... and if you mess up your effed.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

you'll get to destroy the world similar to how you do it in mine craft i don't think they'll let us build just like mine craft.? i could be wrong. i am still doing some catching up

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

Castles seem to be pre-set tiles (from the Video's we saw) and the surrounding is likely to heal over time to prevent cheese.

Though as everything these topics are likely to change and we can't tell until they are further into development. It is only what it seems to me personally what we know so far.

EDIT - Taken Answers from the Sticky-Threads:

Q: #CFQuestions In update 19 we saw many prebuilt structures for our EKs. Are all buildings prebuilt? Is it the same in the campaigns?

A: @W101Cal the smaller buildings are pre-built. larger structures (citadels, palaces) are enclosures that contain room for smaller buildings, but you can also build castle walls out of parts, like towers and wall segments. but no brick-by-brick building like #Minecraft

A: The entire world is voxelized. That said, you won't be able to carve it up as quickly as you see the forgemaster doing in the video -- that's edit mode. If we allowed that, the world would be swiss cheese within minutes of a new campaign coming online.
the plan for buildings is voxels. plan for props is polygonal meshes.
we build the stuff in 3DS Max and convert it to voxels. We're also working with VF to voxelize UV-mapped meshes, which is something that no one else has done with VS before (spoiler alert!) The analogy I use for this is a candy bar: tri-planar mapped interiors with a "hard candy shell" that can be mapped like a normal 3D polygonal object (instead of having to create the surface out of different materials).
That work is coming along well, though it has been very tricky to work out! We've been working on it since ... October of last year?
Re: procedurally created buildings, yes, that is the plan, but out of rooms/towers/wall segments, etc, not brick-by-brick.
We're still playing with the target projections. TBH, I don't know if they will make it into the final game.
Edited by Zola

I plan on putting one of my characters on a mountain out in the middle of nowhere and carving Minas Tirith into it, just because I can. What kind of fun would you like to have, now that we can shape the world?

Yeah, I believe we can dig tactical tunnels underground with Voxel - perhaps place some traps etc. ^_^  

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Guess it'll be more like Everquest Landmark, just waaaaaaaaaaaay slower.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Yeah, I believe we can dig tactical tunnels underground with Voxel - perhaps place some traps etc. ^_^  

Oh yeah, baby!

Guinecean Combat Engineer for the win! Or as we're known on the internet, LumberJack Commandos.

72473_lumberjack_commandos.jpg

CopperStall

Do you think they will slow down digging and tunneling with timers, stamina style consumption, or just really small shovels? 

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Neither. It is just really hard ground.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Neither. It is just really hard ground.

Would be brutal if, as winter set in, the ground froze solid making mining and tunneling harder.  Or you could tunnel through snow and ice.  Maybe find out what's at the bottom of that lake now that it's a giant ice cube.

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

I'm not sure we're going to see the kind of flexibility to carve out shapes like that. Attacking a mountain would probably be more likely to cause an avalanche rather than art.

-carving Minas Tirith into it, just because I can.-

People sure do come up with the craziest ideas.

In case anyone is interested in what ACE wants to accomplish using the Voxel Farm technology, go here.

I'm personally hoping they take this kind of direction when it comes to digging.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.