Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
toxophile

Will Swg Ever Have A True Successor?

The only one I know about at the moment is The Repopulation, and after playing it a few time for a combined total of about 8 hours, I am not sure it fit's the bill. Yeah, the crafting is complex (too much so IMHO), and the professions are varied. There is an entertainer system. It's still a while away from launch, which is obvious from playing. I just don't see it filling in enough of the SWG 'boxes' on the checklist to be considered a successor. I think the main problem is the money, followed closely by the development team. This doesn't seem to be a triple-A team, and the organization and management seems to be lacking. This might also be related to money, heh. A true SWG successor needs an experienced and comprehensive development effort, and well-funded. IMHO!

So, I'll keep tabs on Repop, but does anyone else have a candidate?

Is it possible that the magic of SWG will never be re-created? Let us recall that SWG, post Jump-to-Lightspeed had:

• 32 combat and non-combat professions that could be mixed and matched (characters could get up to roughly 2.5 professions).
  • An open world player housing system with only minimal placement restrictions (inside the radius of an NPC city, and steep slope restrictions). The ability to freely decorate the interiors of structures you owned.
  • A ground-breaking pet system.
  • A deep and wide Crafting system un-matched (IMO) in the gaming world since, where crafted items were usually always better than anything looted, with an experimentation system (and slicing) that allowed some item qualities to be pushed beyond the normal range, and with decay. Every item was unique, not just another 'copy' of an item made by anyone else.
  • A vast, shifting, in-game resource system, with hundreds of different *specific* resources divided among (going on memory) 8 top-level resource classes. 
  • Persistent, player-owned vendors to list items for sale. These could be NPC humanoids, droids, or terminals. The humanoids could be programmed with 'barker' messages, dressed up in the same clothing and items players crafted and wore. Merchants could advertise vendors on the planetary map.
  • Player cities, comprised exclusively of player-crafted civic structures (including various gardens and statuary), plus the player-crafted houses, run by a Mayor (profession) voted into office by players. 
  • Space flight and combat. Includes luxury spaceships that could also be decorated inside at will, plus carry passengers.
  • Social professions Dancer, Musician, and Image Designer. Multiple dances (motion captured) and music, able to be scripted to allow players to gather together and put on a 'show'. Image Designers able to change the appearance of players after creation. Tied in to the combat system to relieve persistent "wounds" and provide buffs.
  • PvP faction system of Rebels and Imperial forces, able to 'influence' NPC cities based on player faction balance.
  • Bounty Hunting players, including the need to 'track' them down to find them.

I had to stop myself from making those bullet points a few pages long, lol....

Edited by toxophile

eEvERiW.jpg

You know, in one MMORPG.com video I heard a phrase about rumor on new star wars game being developed behind closed doors, but that's just that - rumors (I do not mean new 'Battlefront').

I think there is now way we can have anything like that, but I am satisfied with emulators. As for outdated graphics some people talk about I think it is fine with a few tweaks and much better then in some MMOs to date.

What could have happened if not CU and following NGE - that's another question. Just imagining SWG that develops further without CU and whatnot, with different events and have a facelift is too much of an expectation. :) But I see nothing close at the moment.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Headlight, of SB fame ( sorry Headlight )    said this to another SB'er that was mourning the loss of their game also, I think it is appropriate for ya'll too.  It's was one of Headlights finest moments :

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

Oh wait? Guess you aren't aware of the emus -- or you are and you're poking fun at one/both.

Anyhow, I've gotten my shadowbane fix after magicbane came up and while I've been playing shadowbane solid for a year now, that void still exists.

Because it's not a void about the game, it's a void about anything in our past that we missed. Since we're gamers, we feel a gaming void as harsh as anyone else would feel a relationship void of a person we miss. We miss the epic sieges we had and some of the fights. Create Shadowbane 2 all you want, but it had its flaws and no one really misses the original shadowbane since it exists in 2 different forms on emus. You just miss the memories. But she's dead. Bury her.

Dare to fall in love again, even if Crowfall isn't the one. Keep on gaming.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Yeah, rose-tinted glasses are firmly mounted, but I do try to objectively look at the field today and see nothing like SWG. It's kind of shocking at how far ahead of it's time it seems to have been. All ruined when bean-counters tried to cash in on the WoW train. A decade is a long time, and people grow up. If SWG2 came out this year, I would certainly play, but I just don't know if I could put in the time I did before. Mostly I'd like the newer gamers to get to experience the magic we had in that game. 

eEvERiW.jpg

If it ever happens that a SWG 2, or true successor to SWG were announced, I think a lot of old SWG players would fall right out of their gaming chairs. It would personally be the most exciting gaming news that I've ever received. Outside of the Emu though, I don't think that we'll ever have quite the same experience again. There is something lost in a successor, or even in a copy, and to get the magic that was SWG to happen again as it did, I think would prove most difficult. I would be happy to hear of someone attempting the challenge though!

I learned of The Repopulation a while after their initial crowd funding. It definitely caught my eye. I'm keeping a distant watch on it, to see how it develops.

In the mean time, I'm very excited about Crowfall. I'm kind of in-between games at the moment, and am happy to have something to look forward to :)

If it ever happens that a SWG 2, or true successor to SWG were announced, I think a lot of old SWG players would fall right out of their gaming chairs.

True. Also I think if this happened ^^ I would fall right out of any game I played instantly.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Many games since SWG have claimed to be "like" it. From PVP-centric games like Mortal Online to sci-fi ones like The Repopulation, many have tried to capture some of that flavor.

However, a game that follows the essence of pre-2005 SWG in today's market is a pipe dream.

The common consensus among industry-aware gamers is that the MMORPG market has become saturated with post-WoW gameplay systems. Crowdfunding, at first blush, appears to be the answer to the age-old question of "if big companies are too risk-averse to attempt a game like X, then who will?" However, crowdfunding generally results in a watered-down product that tries to cater to too many interests, if it launches at all.

Crowfall is different, in that the crew behind it is dedicated to NOT bowing to backers' every whim, but it's not a SWG successor. Nor will it ever be.

In order to actually achieve that goal, I think we'd need to see a passionate group of SWG diehards with ample funding and a good sense of marketing try and create a successor. The number of people that can do that (that I know of) I can count on one hand. None of them shows any interest in doing so at the moment. Yes, Raph Koster is one of them.

The various swgemu projects are the only real hope of veterans of that game experiencing some of what once was. However, since subscriber numbers were never terribly high even at the game's height, I don't think there will ever be any monetary incentive to really knock the ball out of the park on the SWG concept.

I hope beyond hope that I'm wrong on that.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

I have no doubt with the new trilogy and 3 solo movie spinoffs of Star Wars that in the following decade we will see some type of approach on the MMO version again.

If its successful its an entire new generation of fans to embrace and video games will pop up like weeds. As for MMO well probably bioware has some kind of license atm that might not permit another MMO of the same franchise to be developed but ofc I have no idea about such details. I would prefer an MMO more along the lines of the classic trilogy era like SWG and who knows the new trilogy might be a good surprise.

I have no doubt it will beat the Phantom Menace debut...hell the teaser trailer beat that movie <.<!

Hope in the future of the Star Wars MMO verse.

I'm certain some will repel and reach for holy water at this comment, but I've always thought that Blizzard would be the one to do it. They have so much freaking money.... 100m invested into something like this is just a 'night on the town' for Blizzard. The game would be a sub, of course, and 200k subscribers at just $10 a month is some nice pocket change. I'm betting that SWG2 could be made today for under 15 million just by using the amazing available engines and addins available commercially today.

eEvERiW.jpg

No. No holy water, no rage, no nothing friend. Blizzard are known for doing successful games. I do not like what they did to MMORPG landscape, but that does not diminish them as developers. Actually, I can't blame them for anything, I just did not like that everything became WoW canon. All of a sudden everyone wanted to be WoW. But that was said thousand times already.

I thought 'Titan' might be IT. It wasn't, they decided to play safe and make 'Overwatch' (we have nice watch now, heh). But if they want to they could pull it off.

Also, I heavily miss humor and fun in games. Okay, MMORPGs became serious business, but why games should be so dull and serious about themselves? Do you guys remember old titles like 'Space Quest I' and 'Monkey Island'? Yes, this is as far from MMORPGs as it gets, but I am talking atmosphere here. Blizzard games create atmosphere of fun. And all that 'grim' and 'doom' I got already, thank you very much. I think 'Wildstar' made horrible mistake trying to make a game a bit more serious with cartoony graphics it has.

I do not think you are wrong. If that alliance could be possible they'd make a great game. Though I would strongly oppose clown feet and all that. :) But if they decided something graphically... well, like 'Overwatch'. It's good enough, right? And with current canon... Ah, never mind. Move along... :D

Edited by rolan storm

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

A sad fact is that a SWG sequel will have to be outside of the Star Wars license. LucasArts canned SWG because they didn't want to be competing with themselves between SWG and SWTOR. Disney has the rights now, and I don't see them doing a smaller relatively niche game like SWG would be in today's market. There will probably be a game sooner or later that has a lot of SWG economy, crafting, and open world creation/conflict (lets be honest here, combat was never SWG strong suit). However, it won;t be Star Wars, and that is sad because lightsabers, stormtroopers, speeders, and blasters are fun.

You know, there are a crapton of open sandbox indie games out there. I've tried some of them. Maybe it's the lack of a big IP that I already know so much history on. Maybe it's a lack of polish, I don't know. But I just couldn't get into them. Maybe I'll have to try Wurm again. I hear some guy just became an honest to goodness god the other day. Followers and everything. Added to the game's pantheon. Crazy stuff.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

You know, there are a crapton of open sandbox indie games out there. I've tried some of them. Maybe it's the lack of a big IP that I already know so much history on. Maybe it's a lack of polish, I don't know. But I just couldn't get into them. Maybe I'll have to try Wurm again. I hear some guy just became an honest to goodness god the other day. Followers and everything. Added to the game's pantheon. Crazy stuff.

I tried Wurm, but couldn't get into it. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to do anything in that game; think of the amount of time it takes to craft in Minecraft, and multiply that by a factor of ten.

I just got a trial to Pathfinder Online. We'll see if it feels like it's on the right track or not.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

Ah the dream that was SWG :wub:

With SWTOR still functioning and Battlefront on the horizon then no, we will not see an official grand new Star Wars MMO within the next 5 years. Fortunately SWTOR is quite lacking in oh so many areas and eventually a new Star Wars MMO is bound to come around. Lets just hope arthritis hasn't kicked in by then. The only exception I can imagine would be for Disney to launch a new MMO in conjunction with some of the new movies - a MMO set in a completely new time-frame.

(Disclaimer: I play about 30 hours of SWTOR PVP atm.)

Yeah, I thought the movies might make for a good tie-in to a new game, but SWTOR seems to be going strong. It does seem as though the IP is pretty much done for the next several years. When SWG was put out, MMO's were still new. Now it's all corporatized, and risk-adverse development teams will likely be the only ones permitted to develop games for the IP. And I agree that the IP was the real 'hook' that makes the nostalgia so strong.

I still have hopes for The Repopulation, but the progress seems so glacial. I'd be surprised if they are done in another 3 years. And the graphics are already dated, so when it finally launches, it might not be as strong a draw.

eEvERiW.jpg

Felt compelled to swing by here and say hello.  Very much looking forward to seeing a lot of folks from SWG in CrowFall. Maybe even some of the old Galactic Senate peeps? :)

To toss my two cents in, I don't think there will ever be a game as sandboxy as SWG was originally built as - but I think CrowFall can get awfully close in terms of sheer immersive strength.  It's also obvious the team is dedicated to building that "old school" style game that so many crave, and I can't wait to play it and get myself thoroughly stomped.

Oddly enough, gameplay-wise I though Everquest Next was going to be borrowing heavily from SWG. Now, with the vulture capitalists being elbow deep in that game, I'm not sure what comes out will be anything but a gutter WoW clone.