Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
toxophile

Will Swg Ever Have A True Successor?

Have you played "The Re-population"? It has been cited as being the spiritual successor to SWG (Built on the same engine as SWTOR ironically enough), It is on Steam Early Access, and i have attempted to play a few time but cant seem to "get into it", and it runs really bad and is buggy, but has loads of potential.

This has been my experience thus far as well.  There is still time though.

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

@Psyctooth, I agree with most of that except for the disdain for developers.  Many people actual do try hard to make the best product they can.  It is not always just a business decision.  You were right to a point, but it is was an oversimplification and a bit inconsiderate of the actual people going to work everyday.

SR8DSigTemp_Tahru.png

I do hate to burst bubbles but the agreement EA made with Lucas Arts is being upheld by Disney, all StarWars RPGs and MMOs can only be made by Bioware for the foreseeable future.

Not so sure there is a market for it given the low numbers even in the best of times.

Every freeform class system game tends to have low numbers once people notice there are alpha classes for combat (SWG pre had 3 cookie cutter builds that were notorious alphas). The rest of the game was alright, the crafting was a bit much for me...I preferred the space side though anyway.

If the class system can be fixed for combat (getting rid of builds that just dominate everything) and some upgrades, tweaks (Bounty Hunters get no droids, you have to rely on other players...thus you have to build a real intelligence network rather than just 'click, click, wait'), and you have a nice game.

But, the catch is the SWG crowd brutalize any game attempting to be this...but in time. The game doesn't launch with everything, it'll never happen. You have to back a game, long enough, to get the systems right. So the beginning might have a robust class system with crappy balancing, a robust crafting but not quite as varied (or too varied even), and limited city crafting. Support the game if the devs stick with communicating and updating/ making the game get better and more like whatcha looking for. No game will launch with everything SWG had at the end, even SWG didn't launch with space. Yet I see SWG fanatics just rip a game trying to do what SWG did apart for not having every last thing exactly like it was. That segment of the population has to go away before another such game will come about honestly.

I say this hoping another such game does come around.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

I do hate to burst bubbles but the agreement EA made with Lucas Arts is being upheld by Disney, all StarWars RPGs and MMOs can only be made by Bioware for the foreseeable future.

Believe me, no one here is bubbly enough to think we ever get what I've been fantasizing about.

But, the catch is the SWG crowd brutalize any game attempting to be this...but in time. The game doesn't launch with everything, it'll never happen. You have to back a game, long enough, to get the systems right.

Never said (well, I sure as hell hope not - but my first messages in this thread almost half-year old, so I don't remember) that it should be instant delivery. Again, most people around here understand MMORPG - and I don't mean playing them. I mean them as they are. How much investment they take to nurture, how much variables go into account and how fragile really balance of good MMORPG is. Easy to break, extremely hard to build.

I say this hoping another such game does come around.

Rising cup to that. Hope is a must in this case and many other.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

A sad fact is that a SWG sequel will have to be outside of the Star Wars license. LucasArts canned SWG because they didn't want to be competing with themselves between SWG and SWTOR. Disney has the rights now, and I don't see them doing a smaller relatively niche game like SWG would be in today's market. There will probably be a game sooner or later that has a lot of SWG economy, crafting, and open world creation/conflict (lets be honest here, combat was never SWG strong suit). However, it won;t be Star Wars, and that is sad because lightsabers, stormtroopers, speeders, and blasters are fun.

Actually. 

I have worse news than SWG dreams being canned. Not only will their never be a SWG (DayBreak most likely won't ever sell the IP.) But EA owns the Star Wars gaming contracts and though SWTOR has some amazing story, The combat is mildly decent and fun. It is a raging theme park full of WoW converts. Not only that. But EA will NEVER ever touch a sandbox because a sandbox requires talented devs with vision and we all know EA refuses to hang onto anyone with remote talent and/or vision. 

SWTOR had a lot of sandbox features the EA overlords axed. EA only sees money and competing with Activision in the MMORPG genre. 

But. For nerds sake. Since I love Star Wars. A massive sandbox Star Wars from BioWare without EA oversight and AAA budget? Oh yes. Please kindly. Take my money. 

xctwLnf.png

I just found this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/divergence-online--2#/story

Too good to be true?

Two people making an MMO? Normally I'd say yes, except that I backed Project Gorgon, which is also only two people.

I'm cautious about Divergence Online, though. They're making use of an awful lot of SWG assets. That could be a lawsuit in the making.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

I just found this:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/divergence-online--2#/story

Too good to be true?

No. Just the right amount.

Guy talks so much about topics that was said here in particular and everywhere else in general after some time it becomes annoying.

He is really slow on his project, but he is stubborn - I give him that.

Edited by rolan storm

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Two people making an MMO? Normally I'd say yes, except that I backed Project Gorgon, which is also only two people.

I'm cautious about Divergence Online, though. They're making use of an awful lot of SWG assets. That could be a lawsuit in the making.

'Project Gorgon' is made by 'Everquest'/'Asheron's Call' veterans and it's very unique. It's weak on graphics part (well, they designed it to be not so much eyecandy), but have the most interesting gameplay I saw in a while. You knew what you are doing. I was in first beta tests, 'Project Gorgon' is a very good game.

'Divergence' developer is familiar to me exactly from his work on the title. Also, from resurfacing campaigns. Last video I saw of his work and words he says... He tell right words, but somehow I had a feeling he is more munching of people's discontent with current MMORPGs then truly promote anything and using it to push forward his game.

oaOnsEV.jpg?1