Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jihan

Crowfall Is Not A Sandbox Game

Did the devs ever advertise this as a sandbox? How did this topic of semantics even start OP?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I think this is an assumption about whether something has to be all of one thing instead of a little of many things... Like the Jimquisition discussed about how Bloodborne is a great survival horror game, just because it is an action platformer RPG and whatever else... doesn't mean it doesn't have that survival horror aesthetic and experience.

You'll experience a great deal of sandbox gameplay with player economies and social construction, just because it has qualities outside sandboxes doesn't mean it's not a sandbox too.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

The presence of rules or win conditions to portions of the game mechanics does not negate the existence of freedom of choice...

Wait. I've seen this. I stand here, right here, and I'm supposed to say something.

200_s.gif

Vision and execution are two different things. Don't get me wrong, I plastered $250 of hard drug money on this game so I am in it for the long haul. But we all know how many times companies promise something and then you get something else entirely, or the promised features that people crowdfunded the game for will come 2 years after release.

That's why it is important that their vision was also reasonable and attainable.  Nothing they've promised is so mindblowing that it makes you think they will be bogged down in R+D. 

Did the devs ever advertise this as a sandbox? How did this topic of semantics even start OP?

Not according to this:

There was a time when our industry took CHANCES.

Our games didn’t have to appeal to everyone, and we didn’t judge ourselves solely on mass market success.

With amusement park games, it’s impossible to lose. With sandbox games, it’s impossible to win. If you can’t win and you can’t lose, then

WHAT'S THE POINT OF PLAYING?

I don’t want to kill more rats, fill another experience point bar or collect another meaningless badge.

I want to play a GAME, against PLAYERS where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose.

Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. Risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE.

Even if I lose, the experience won’t feel hollow. I don’t want another worthless trophy.

I WANT TO PLAY TO CRUSH.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I would argue the EK portion of the game is in fact sandbox. You can build, set realm rules for pvp, establish trade centers, establish feudal hierarchies, etc, etc. Just this sandbox requires import of goods. It does not even have do be your goods.

Entropy is not what it used to be.  I am a servant of The Nothing.. The Hunger!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/c8b3da04c46297fe112a98ab12ad8e09/tumblr_n5l2imj4NF1qzm5g7o1_500.gif

Funny thing is that I've asked groups of MMO players for years to define "sandbox" for me and wouldn't you know that not a single group could ever agree on a definition.

I was just thinking about how bad the original post was in this regard. OP just made up his own definition and set of requirements that I've never heard of before to make his (entirely semantic) point. 

I would argue the EK portion of the game is in fact sandbox. You can build, set realm rules for pvp, establish trade centers, establish feudal hierarchies, etc, etc. Just this sandbox requires import of goods. It does not even have do be your goods.

You then go back to the argument that the EK is not the game, it is the game service.  I believe the GAME, the campaigns , were being discussed here.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

EK is a part of The Game. No matter how badly people want to trivialize it, it's here. The primary focus of the game is the Dying Worlds. The EK is the sandbox that encompasses the DW. There isn't much 'sand' in there yet, but it's early. Give it a year.

eEvERiW.jpg

All seeing google can only come up with links from other sites calling it sandbox

You don't know the pain of clickbait & clueless articles until you've been involved with Star Citizen for a while. Calling this a sandbox is a just the tip of the iceberg.

CopperStall

Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery. 

CopperStall

I actually used that as a signature for several years, almost word for word.

Well, I used "imitation", but the meaning is the same.  :D

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Pretty solid thread.  I'd just add in that all sandbox-y games are constrained by the rules of the universe.  Minecraft, legos, actual sandboxes - each give users a lot of affordances relative to what they can do, but are still subject to particular constraints.  I think understanding that even a "true sandbox" is not complete freedom to do whatever you want is an important consideration.

I am excited by the degree of freedom CF is poised to yield to players; I think freedom in-game is highlighted by player building, open pvp politicking and hopefully the ability to betray and subvert without too many (read: any) in-game security features.  Frankly, losing things in Shadowbane were the best game experiences I've ever had, and solidified the strongest bonds I've ever made in MMOs.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

No it isn't a sandbox game or a game on rails. It has a mix of both, but it leans closer to sandbox than to the rails.

I'm actually curious about that claim. Since the campaigns rely on "winning" through a certain mechanism and that defines how much resources each participating .. kingdom (? individual player? who btw?) gets ... what happens if people start actually gaming the system aka "we can't win that campaign anymore anyway and we'd get only 20% of the resources ... let's just go home and hand it the others at this point and not waste time in it anymore". Will that kill the game/sandbox setting and enforce "rails"?

Can one simply leave a campaign and enter a new one before it ended or is one doomed to stay until it ends even if one can only loose? Because according to Artcraft you can join a campaign only in the beginning, not later ...?