Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fastcamcj

Alienware Vs Build My Own

So i have been looking into a new computer for awhile now and i know there is alot of hate towards Alienware products. It seems like the specs in the machine are somewhat worthwhat you get inside. I think it would cost around 300$ more then if i were to build it myself. I would like to save the hassle of having to order all kinds of different parts and then havng the possiblity of one part not working so i gotta send it back and things like that. So i am not sure if it would be worth the price vs if i were to build it my own with my own parts. Anyways thanks for any help.

The alienware build: http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-area51-r2/pd?oc=daa51r2_f_h2e&model_id=alienware-area51-r2

Edited by fastcamcj

Plush is a scrub. The way computers are now adays even a sedated monkey could put one together.

Do yourself a favor, visit www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

I have saved THOUSANDS following the links, reading articles, and tracking deals from that subreddit when I do my annual upgrades.

If you replaced the end with /buildapcsales you'll find current deals.

Here are some part picker guide websites (which are also on that reddits sidebar):

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

http://www.choosemypc.net/

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Alienware made really great LAPTOP,  and because its close from impossible to build yourself a laptop that will be realiable and powerfull i would recomand no other brand after having 2 of them used for years in harsh condition (intensive use in tropical place).

Now for DESKTOP its pretty easy to build a fantastic one and its way cheaper !

For the same price of your alienware desktop you will get much better if you do it yourself.

Only if you dont care money and are very lazy you should go for the desktop, you will have a fine PC but at least 50% more  expensive than the same you would build yourself.

Newegg has detailed step by step videos on putting PC's together too. They're on youtube. That's what I followed when I put my first PC together. As long as you can follow instructions it's actually pretty easy. Didn't blow up my house either. There's no risk if you order from newegg by the way, they will replace non-working parts. 

If you made up your mind on getting a pre-built, try checking out cyberpowerpc.com they tend to have good prices. 

Edited by Hax

Alienware is really overpriced.

You can get a stronger gaming PC for less money than that if you buy the parts seperate and assemble it yourself.

The only benefit I see if your very inexperienced with building your own PC and don't want to risk it.

Then I'd recommend an Alienware as it will always work 100% without any risk, for the most part.

Or if you really want a strong gaming laptop.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Alienware is really overpriced.

You can get a stronger gaming PC for lesss money than that if you buy the parts seperate and assemble it yourself.

The only benefit I see if your very inexperienced with building your own PC and don't want to risk it.

Then I'd recommend an Alienware as it will always work 100% without any risk, for the most part.

Or if you really want a strong gaming laptop.

It also has fancy lights that sometimes sync up with certain game effects. They are easily recognizable, though, so people will see you and think either: 1) you can afford it, or 2) you're a poor sap who doesn't know better.

It also has fancy lights that sometimes sync up with certain game effects. They are easily recognizable, though, so people will see you and think either: 1) you can afford it, or 2) you're a poor sap who doesn't know better.

Someone who really knows the pc's will probably be number two.

Normal, ordinary folk will most likely be number one.

Though I highly doubt someone would buy a really expensive PC just to show off.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Go for alienware if you can afford it, people say it sucks and its not good, i had one alienware last version, and it was amazing, everything is done and you just turn on and rock in gaming :D

I say if you can and you are lazy to build your on go for it :P

mael4.jpg

Alienware made really great LAPTOP,  and because its close from impossible to build yourself a laptop that will be realiable and powerfull i would recomand no other brand after having 2 of them used for years in harsh condition (intensive use in tropical place).

Not true. My wife likes to game, and she refuses to switch to a desktop for whatever reason...so I've learned to accommodate in the upgrade department so that I'm not just tossing money away every year.

Clevo/Sager laptops (I recommend xoticpc.com) are completely upgradeable, even the GPU and it's quite easy. Usually the markup from desktop to swappable mobile variant carries a 10-15% additional pricetag, so a 970GTX is ~$350, the 970M would be around $400. It just takes slightly more knowledge to make it happen in comparison to a desktop build.

If you are DEADSET on a laptop, that is the way to go. But I highly, highly recommend a desktop build. When you build your own, you are able to keep ahead of the technological curve and only have to upgrade components as necessary. This means you either get it cheaper or you can use the money difference to afford better.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Clevo/Sager laptops (I recommend xoticpc.com) are completely upgradeable, even the GPU and it's quite easy. Usually the markup from desktop to swappable mobile variant carries a 10-15% additional pricetag, so a 970GTX is ~$350, the 970M would be around $400. It just takes slightly more knowledge to make it happen in comparison to a desktop build.

I've never heard of an upgradeable laptop. but I have this site bookmarked for my next laptop purchase.

In the mean time, MSi makes legit gaming laptops.

Typically speaking Alienware uses cheaper components where possible. Meaning that despite the higher cost you often wind up with an inferior machine that still cost you notably more.

The warranty will be similar on a per-part basis by the way. Alienware's increased cost doesn't really mean a better warranty. Many manufacturers more than adequately cover components for extended periods of time. Then if something does fail it is most typically within the first few months. Meaning that manufacturer warranty WILL be there if there is a defect with your hardware.

I would highly recommend you search through the suggested websites as opposed to buying an Alienware.

I'm not an idiot, I simply choose not to think.

2CdBx2L.png

Thanks for all the advice guys, i have decided to build my own, here is my build.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/gvBXNG

Now thats how a real men rolls, but i advice you to reconsider your build.

Option a =

Go x99 build, higher technology, much more future proof.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/TYZh8d

Option b = Keep current system, chance dat power supply to one above

Important note = Components are much cheaper if you buy them from Amazon, this site shows the cost of the power supply as 245$ but its only 160$ in amazon

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-Platinum-PLATINUM-860-SS-860XP2-Supply/dp/B00608MP5E/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428158962&sr=1-4

Multiple advices ;

If you are not going to do SLI , i advice you to wait for 980ti.

x99 builds have 6 cores and 12 threads, this makes them quite future proof for unknown future of gaming, currently developers are just upgrading graphics and leaving everything else in ruins. But they are now noticing that graphics do not matter as much as they did before, which means in upcoming years they will improve mechanics instead, which are dependant on cpu.

Edited by Eren

Now thats how a real men rolls, but i advice you to reconsider your build.

Option a =

Go x99 build, higher technology, much more future proof.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/TYZh8d

Option b = Keep current system, chance dat power supply to one above

Important note = Components are much cheaper if you buy them from Amazon, this site shows the cost of the power supply as 245$ but its only 160$ in amazon

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-Platinum-PLATINUM-860-SS-860XP2-Supply/dp/B00608MP5E/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428158962&sr=1-4

Multiple advices ;

If you are not going to do SLI , i advice you to wait for 980ti.

x99 builds have 6 cores and 12 threads, this makes them quite future proof for unknown future of gaming, currently developers are just upgrading graphics and leaving everything else in ruins. But they are now noticing that graphics do not matter as much as they did before, which means in upcoming years they will improve mechanics instead, which are dependant on cpu.

To add unto what he said. 

Change that board to a X99 2011 - v3

Grab 16gb of DDR4

Change that Samsung 840 to the 850

Change your 4790k to a 5820k

Change those Western Digital blues to blacks

This equals a little bit more, but worth it in the long wrong. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xDDtbv

You guys are insane with the CPUs, when is the last time you were bottlenecked by your CPU gaming? Our second desktop has an i5 4670k and I've never seen it get close.

You guys are insane with the CPUs, when is the last time you were bottlenecked by your CPU gaming? Our second desktop has an i5 4670k and I've never seen it get close.

True.

Though if you get a good one now, you won't have to replace it for a long time to come.

This might be handy as, mainly the graphics cards, do bottleneck your system a lot more when it comes to gaming.

The technology is evolving too damn fast.

A solid quote, I'd say.