Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fastcamcj

Alienware Vs Build My Own

You guys are insane with the CPUs, when is the last time you were bottlenecked by your CPU gaming? Our second desktop has an i5 4670k and I've never seen it get close.

The 5820k is the lowest you can go on the X99 v3 boards. There is no choice other than the the 5820k for entry. 

Also,  if you have the money to do a high end build, you do it right. You do not take short cuts.

Why buy older generation poorly made socks when you can buy current gen for roughly the same? 

Then again, $20-50 is an justified difference in my book for each part.

Edited by handies

The 5820k is the lowest you can go on the X99 v3 boards. There is no choice other than the the 5820k for entry.

Also, if you have the money to do a high end build, you do it right. You do not take short cuts.

Why buy older generation poorly made socks when you can buy current gen for roughly the same?

Then again, $20-50 is an justified difference in my book for each part.

I gotcha. But if I was OP, I'd cut a little on the build to free up more money for a second GPU, which is something he would take advantage of gaming, instead of going overkill on a CPU.

EDIT

Also, there is nothing wrong with the i5. 4690k would do you just fine for years to come at half the price. Get two 290X's....or if you're a hardcore nvidia fan (I am), I would rather have 970's sli than 1x 980. 2x 980's all the better. My opinion though.

Edited by primal

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Also, there is nothing wrong with the i5. 4690k would do you just fine for years to come at half the price. Get two 290X's....or if you're a hardcore nvidia fan (I am), I would rather have 970's sli than 1x 980. 2x 980's all the better. My opinion though.

Instead of the 970's, wait until the summer and get a 980ti. It is a Titanx with 6gb instead of 12 and if it is for half the price.

Instead of the 970's, wait until the summer and get a 980ti. It is a Titanx with 6gb instead of 12 and if it is for half the price.

Basically what I'm waiting on to replace my 780s. I want to see real world performance first though, benchmarks can be gimmicked.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

You guys are insane with the CPUs, when is the last time you were bottlenecked by your CPU gaming? Our second desktop has an i5 4670k and I've never seen it get close.

Well multiple facts;

• DirectX12 will take quite advantage of those extra 6 threads.
  • Gaming is slowing its evolution towards graphics and focusing more of mechanics/complexity/gameplay, which are all CPU dependant. In future i am expecting much more CPU usage out of games but just a personal opinion, but hey, why not build a future proof one while you are building a new pc at this time yes?
  • Crysis 3 and BF4 make good usage of CPU's already.

In the end it all depends on developers, for example minecraft can make good usage of up to 32-ish threads. Which good minecraft servers already try to take advantage of.

But yeah, considering the little price differance between 4790K and 5820K and considering that x99 build will have 

4 more threads , 4 channel ram , lower power consumption(which is meh but anyways :P )

I think its pretty good decision to do

Crysis 3 and BF4 make good usage of CPU's already.

Crysis 3 is an absolute beast though, both on GPU and CPU ends.

It's probably the most high end series of games, graphics wise, anyone will ever develop.

Same goes for BF4 though to a lesser extent.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Crysis 3 is an absolute beast though, both on GPU and CPU ends.

It's probably the most high end series of games, graphics wise, anyone will ever develop.

Same goes for BF4 though to a lesser extent.

Yeah , CryTek knows their job around the coding part. They have undoubtedly the best looking games and they are quite well optimized aswell.

I also enjoyed the gameplay on Crysis 3, many people claim that "graphics dont matter and crysis sucks" but i think Crysis already has better gameplay then most of the FPS

Yeah , CryTek knows their job around the coding part. They have undoubtedly the best looking games and they are quite well optimized aswell.

I also enjoyed the gameplay on Crysis 3, many people claim that "graphics dont matter and crysis sucks" but i think Crysis already has better gameplay then most of the FPS

Crytek has been getting cannibalized by CIG/Star Citizen lately and there's been a lot of reports of possible future business failure. Who knows if it's true or not. I'm going to be surprised if we see another Crysis game unless they give in and get bought out.

Crytek has been getting cannibalized by CIG/Star Citizen lately and there's been a lot of reports of possible future business failure. Who knows if it's true or not. I'm going to be surprised if we see another Crysis game unless they give in and get bought out.

Yeah i heard em aswell, and considering ryse and warface failed them a bit , it would be sad to not-see another crysis game.

They played their cards wrong :/ Now they have returned from their mistakes (amd, xbox) but it could be too late

I feel as if i messed up the grammar in this post. Even in this sentence, i dont know whats wrong my english is malfunctioning

Alienware is for people who can't build their own. I've never had a self-built PC blow up. On the contrary, they always long outlast the prefab models.

If you want to get ripped off, buy an Alienware. I would suggest putting a little faith in your ability to do something relatively simple and blowing the hundreds of dollars you save on something else you can enjoy.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

Alienware is for people who can't build their own. I've never had a self-built PC blow up. On the contrary, they always long outlast the prefab models.

If you want to get ripped off, buy an Alienware. I would suggest putting a little faith in your ability to do something relatively simple and blowing the hundreds of dollars you save on something else you can enjoy.

Yes. Only way i can imagine a pc will blow up is by not installing cpu cooler. That would cause cpu to well, burn out. Because it still wont blow up as in like a granade

Nowa-day components are already very fail-proof.

And another thing is, building your pc makes it your own masterpiece, your creation(of some sorts). It adds more value to the PC, because you did not buy it by just spending money but you actually built it yourself.  That is your unique design. 

Edited by Eren

If the OP is hell bent on not building his own, there are plenty of MUCH better choices than Dell/AWare.  Seriously, steer clear.

Typically speaking Alienware uses cheaper components where possible. Meaning that despite the higher cost you often wind up with an inferior machine that still cost you notably more.

The warranty will be similar on a per-part basis by the way. Alienware's increased cost doesn't really mean a better warranty. Many manufacturers more than adequately cover components for extended periods of time. Then if something does fail it is most typically within the first few months. Meaning that manufacturer warranty WILL be there if there is a defect with your hardware.

I would highly recommend you search through the suggested websites as opposed to buying an Alienware.

those who have read my opins on AW know I am not a supporter. But in all honesty AW tends to use good parts. The biggest gripe would be they are proprietary. the pwr supply is custom...cant always hot swap, mobo is custom, cant just throw a asus atx in the case...etc.

once you build a cpu...then upgrading avery cpl years is a breeze and significantly cheaper.

my 1998 all alum coolermaster atx mid tower case has been going strong...never getting rid of it.

mice kbd replaced about 3 yrs ago

vid card xmas

mobo n chips last xmas

monitors got a great discount seeing as I run the it dept:  2 asus 3d 1ms 144hz 27"'s $500 for the pair  :) should be good for 4-5 yrs

I reset my win install and profile about 2wice a yr

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

Definitely thought about just getting some overgrown tower with a bunch of expansion bays, cooling system, lots of fans, etc as a good starting point so that way I only change out the necessities as tech changes instead of just grabbing a new tower/etc like peeps seem to do. I don't see my tower 90% of the time, so I really don't care what it looks like.

Definitely thought about just getting some overgrown tower with a bunch of expansion bays, cooling system, lots of fans, etc as a good starting point so that way I only change out the necessities as tech changes instead of just grabbing a new tower/etc like peeps seem to do. I don't see my tower 90% of the time, so I really don't care what it looks like.

Cooling systems are stupid easy now. They even sell watercooled systems with preapplied thermal paste. Seriously, you don't even have to goop that stuff on you just peel off the 'sticker'. I heard they're pretty decent too.

I have an Alienware 14 laptop that rocks all my games.  I'm pleased with it. BUT, I've had power supply problems that required first an onsite tech visit that didn't correct the issue, and then offsite repair due to a cheap-ass stripped out screw I couldn't remove to replace the battery (inside the case). Still, the delivery-repair-return process took 4 days, so I can't complain. Warranty is solid.

If I had to choose again, I'd still buy my Alienware. It's elegant and powerful. It's portable. It was a good deal due to various discounts from the vendor and my employer, I got a $1200 machine for $800. I couldn't build it for that price, so I'm happy with the cost. I'm also thinking about buying an Alienware Alpha console for my living room/tv use. 

My son is building himself a new gaming PC. He's 14, and he has an entire set up ready to go. I'm impressed with his resourcefulness regarding price, compatibility, specs. He started with a $1700 build, and now he's refining his parts based on reducing that price tag. He's gotten great advice from the PC Masterrace on reddit. Pretty cool project for a kid. 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Cooling systems are stupid easy now. They even sell watercooled systems with preapplied thermal paste. Seriously, you don't even have to goop that stuff on you just peel off the 'sticker'. I heard they're pretty decent too.

This one looks pretty neat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133244&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Computer+Cases-_-N82E16811133244&gclid=CO-K5efN7MQCFYhhfgodv1AAsA&gclsrc=aw.ds