Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fastcamcj

Alienware Vs Build My Own

Just says its capatible with water coolers. Not sure what that means other than oversized bays and possibly screwholes for certain rigs.

Yaaa, that's one. Not the best rated one... but that's the kind of enclosed system with preapplied paste i'm talking about.

Edited by primal

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

It was a good deal due to various discounts from the vendor and my employer, I got a $1200 machine for $800. I couldn't build it for that price, so I'm happy with the cost.

This is the only reason to get an AWare...  a HUGE discount.  Otherwise...  it's way over priced.  Again, even with laptops, there are better machines for the same cost, or the same cost for better machines.

Edited by rhone

This is the only reason to get an AWare...  a HUGE discount.  Otherwise...  it's way over priced.  Again, even with laptops, there are better machines for the same cost, or the same cost for better machines.

I made a thread in off topic about this before I saw this one.  What would your suggestions be for a superior laptop? 

I will speak only of what i know well: the laptop.

Better hardware/performance for the same price that totaly true, in this way their are really overpriced.

But i choise this brand because they laptop are reliable, i personaly travel alot and my money come from the work i do on my laptop, so reliability is a very important criteria for me as well the 24H on site repair service you can have for 4 years is a big + for me (even if he not apply everywhere in the world).

Before traveling i got my own a compagny who was reparing laptop from all brands, in 8 years we have repair more than 20 000 laptops and from this experience i can tell you that alienware build quality for the laptop is over the other big brand gaming serie, sometime even very far over (i think of Asus, and MSI as the most crapy build brand)

Note that cant tell for the "confidential brand" who have short serie even if they have probably some very good stuff in it.

Alienware forever, don't risk blowing up your house by building a custom PC.

DOn't listen to ppl below me. (unless for alienware)

It'd take a complete idiot to blow up a house with a custom PC (custom building badasses call those people Alienware users or Bitcoin Miners). Modern PC components are like IKEA furniture, you just snap it together, tighten a couple screws so the whole thing stays in place, then close it up and you've got a powerful PC for the fraction of an Alienware equivalent's cost.

It'd take a complete idiot to blow up a house with a custom PC (custom building badasses call those people Alienware users or Bitcoin Miners). Modern PC components are like IKEA furniture, you just snap it together, tighten a couple screws so the whole thing stays in place, then close it up and you've got a powerful PC for the fraction of an Alienware equivalent's cost.

He was posting... Why is trol ling censored? lol

Edited by handies

I plan to have my kid build my next gaming machine. My only real issue with doing so is that I'm accustomed to moving around while I game. I hate to sit down at a stationary PC. Alienware is the only gaming laptop for which I: 1) Get large discounts, 2) Have a large credit limit with which to buy, so it's the only real choice for me atm. That will change over the next couple of years though. Can't wait to see what my son can build for me :)

On, btw, for anyone who is interested in the Alienware Alpha: It's really just a fairly nice desktop pc set up in a console-style case. Hard to upgrade, like a laptop. I'm not purchasing one, as I was tempted to earlier in the Spring. I'm going to have my son build a comparable PC for the living room. It will be as good or better than the Alpha AND significantly cheaper in cost. 

We use this site to build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L9Wsgs

Edited by iridianshadowweaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

I plan to have my kid build my next gaming machine. My only real issue with doing so is that I'm accustomed to moving around while I game. I hate to sit down at a stationary PC. Alienware is the only gaming laptop for which I: 1) Get large discounts, 2) Have a large credit limit with which to buy, so it's the only real choice for me atm. That will change over the next couple of years though. Can't wait to see what my son can build for me :)

On, btw, for anyone who is interested in the Alienware Alpha: It's really just a fairly nice desktop pc set up in a console-style case. Hard to upgrade, like a laptop. I'm not purchasing one, as I was tempted to earlier in the Spring. I'm going to have my son build a comparable PC for the living room. It will be as good or better than the Alpha AND significantly cheaper in cost. 

We use this site to build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L9Wsgs

that GTX 970 is definitely the best bang for the buck right now.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Man, I feel super cheap. Have video cards always been $300? Like is that talking high end or super high end?

Can you still run dual video cards somehow? Like would it be cheaper just to run 2 good video cards versus 1 high end one?

Unless you're playing at very high resolutions or multiple monitor setup the difference is really negligible between 970 and 980. @1080p it's nothing but 1440-4k it makes a huge difference, and you'd rather have 2x 970's than 1x 980.

Alienware makes a good PC, BUT... You could build the same computer as whatever you are looking at from AW for half the price with a little research and patience.

It really is pretty simple to build a PC, and there are plenty of easy step by step resources to follow on the interwebz...

that GTX 970 is definitely the best bang for the buck right now.

970 is probably one of the best performance to price GPU's to come out...ever...

Ha, nevermind, this website provides price history as well.

Factory overclock, cooling solution, and Vram is something to consider too with the pricing. If you just plan on playing at 1080p I wouldn't worry about it so much. But if you're wanting to future proof 20-30$ might make a difference.

I made a thread in off topic about this before I saw this one.  What would your suggestions be for a superior laptop? 

Sorry, been kind of absent of late.

My MSi laptop is freaking aMAZing.  I paid a premium for it, but if you're looking to stay with big brands, I suggest MSi or ASUS gaming laptops.  Aside from that, earlier it was mentioned that Sager makes upgradeable laptops.  I have yet to check that out, but you can find them here:

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-clevo-sager-notebooks-ct-95_51_162.html

If I was getting a new gaming laptop today...  it would be from the above website.  And for the price I paid for my MSi you can get one mother of a Sager laptop.