Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HappyWulf

Taking The Dwarf Fortress Route

I've been wondering if making a literal hole in the ground, in the middle of nowhere, perhaps even hidden behind some bushes and trees as a secret entrance, would be feasible for a player's Campaign HQ?

Rather than building up into a castle, you build down into a network of tunnels and subterranean rooms. I had been thinking about the comparisons and pro/cons to an above ground and below ground fortress. The most basic being where would you put your treasury in each? Underground you'd want to put it in the heart of your base, so others can't tunnel up into it from below nor from into the sides. In an above ground base you'd want to do the same, but this leaves it open to be attacked by artillery.

I'd say the primary benefit to building down would be secrecy, if it can be maintained. While the benefit of an above ground fortress would be that it's easier to defend.

I'm likely to play as a Confessor as my 'main' Yet I have not looked at any skill list yet. I probably should. o.o

Good luck with that :)

Member of The BlackHand Order

Building down rather than up might certainly have it's merits.. especially if it can remain hidden, but keeping it that way could get pretty difficult if you have a lot of people coming and going. Sounds unfeasible for any larger groups of people.

Member of The BlackHand Order

without a city center, there would be no asset protection. everything would be able to be  torn down wether there was a siege or not, many object would not be able to be placed as well.

CF_Karg.png

I really hope underground bunkers and tunnel systems will become a thing.

That would be so awesome!

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

without a city center, there would be no asset protection. everything would be able to be torn down wether there was a siege or not, many object would not be able to be placed as well.

Are you assuming that there would not be a city center if the city is underground? If so, why? I would assume if a city/town is built underground, the center would be there as well.

Are you assuming that there would not be a city center if the city is underground? If so, why? I would assume if a city/town is built underground, the center would be there as well.

He is assuming Shadowbanesque city building, which is likely... yet is still not confirmed.

Only thing about this is, if we get to do it and it is better than building above ground, then that is what we will all do.

So, either we will have a game with normal towns or a game of underground towns

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Only thing about this is, if we get to do it and it is better than building above ground, then that is what we will all do.

So, either we will have a game with normal towns or a game of underground towns

Or it is made that in certain situations it is more benificial to have an underground town while in others it is better to have a normal castle town.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Or it is made that in certain situations it is more benificial to have an underground town while in others it is better to have a normal castle town.

Just because of that comment, I now hate the idea.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I could see underground towns being safer but far more work to achieve, and above towns being much easier to build and more accessible. So perhaps, it will just depend on how much work one wishes to put into it along with what intent you have to get out of it?

Just because of that comment, I now hate the idea.

Terribly sorry.

Here is a brownie:

250px-Chocolatebrownie.JPG

We good again?

A solid quote, I'd say.

He is assuming Shadowbanesque city building, which is likely... yet is still not confirmed.

They have stated in past interviews (I am too lazy to find it right now) that they are. at least for now using the same city Tree system they used in Shadowbane.

Now I would assume (but could be very wrong) that that would require it to be on the surface. but hey maybe they will allow it in any space that has the open requirements. just watch out for all those burrowing gunnecians since you would have no walls.

CF_Karg.png

Never

You have made me soul weep.

I JUST WANTED TO BE FRIENDS OKAY!!! :(

Btw, can I have that brownie back? It looks quite tasty.

A solid quote, I'd say.