Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HappyWulf

Taking The Dwarf Fortress Route

I think building down wouldn't be that great of an idea.... you would need a lot of holes to get out of your city other wise your just going to get Pk'd comeing and going by campers..

I would say that it had clear disadvantages, that being one of them. Also, you would need to build a comprehensive lighting system that you may not need above ground. Depending on how you've set up the tunnel system, building defenses might be difficult to impossible. You can no longer detect enemies at range, so using siege engines defensively is impossible.

But, for keeping your location a secret building underground cannot be beat.

Edited by leadpipe

You could use both. An aboveground base with an underground tunnel system to move elsewhere secretly.

Would be so awesome if that could be used in combination with caravans if supplies need to safely be transported from a fort to another, or to a nearby front without a high risk of attack.

Would really depend on how the tunnel digging will eventually work though.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

I can see the future. So I already know how everything works.  :ph34r:

Too bad you can't record it and get it on Youtube.

Would love to see the game in it's finished state. Or atleast parts of it.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

They have stated in past interviews (I am too lazy to find it right now) that they are. at least for now using the same city Tree system they used in Shadowbane.

Now I would assume (but could be very wrong) that that would require it to be on the surface. but hey maybe they will allow it in any space that has the open requirements. just watch out for all those burrowing gunnecians since you would have no walls.

It was an idea that was floated about the Bloodstone campaigns. We will get more concrete information eventually. They may even base it completely around POIs as another option too.

It was an idea that was floated about the Bloodstone campaigns. We will get more concrete information eventually. They may even base it completely around POIs as another option too.

I hope they don't base it around POI's.

Basing it around POI's would almost completely eliminate a part of the player's freedom and ability to use the map to his, or her advantage.

A solid quote, I'd say.

Too bad you can't record it and get it on Youtube.

Would love to see the game in it's finished state. Or atleast parts of it.

Sorry, can't give up my advantage. In 3 years 27 days, you will kneel before the might of Xedrox. Prepare yourself. 

Sorry, can't give up my advantage. In 3 years 27 days, you will kneel before the might of Xedrox. Prepare yourself.

And then the day after that, that campaign will end and the reign of Xedrox will be over. :-)

it's in the strategy faq as an example of how the bloodstone concept works....which is pretty similar to how sb evolved with the warehouse/shrine mechanic.

it would be pretty cool to see different type of 'trees' implimented that were  racially specific (dorfs can plant a 'tree' underground), functionally different (effects/bonuses, like shrines), or environmentally different (you couldn't plant a desert tree in the mountains).

And then the day after that, that campaign will end and the reign of Xedrox will be over. :-)

It will have just begun. I shall become Xedrox, Destroyer of Worlds. Kneel before my might.

It will have just begun. I shall become Xedrox, Destroyer of Worlds. Kneel before my might.

You'll have to beath the Hunger to death first.

A solid quote, I'd say.

it's in the strategy faq as an example of how the bloodstone concept works....which is pretty similar to how sb evolved with the warehouse/shrine mechanic.

it would be pretty cool to see different type of 'trees' implimented that were  racially specific (dorfs can plant a 'tree' underground), functionally different (effects/bonuses, like shrines), or environmentally different (you couldn't plant a desert tree in the mountains).

I like the idea of more variant tree types.

Honestly, I think the idea of an underground "tree" is pretty practical for certain applications, but functionally it would have to have a whole other set of limitations.

A Proper Sb style tree would obviously be a surface affair, walls, guard barracks, crafting benches, etc. with perhaps some stylistic or mechanical variants (maybe a desert tree has less wall upkeep, and a jungle tree has the ability to plant farms to grow food in stead of forage/hunt)

What SB lacked, which I could see working in crowfall's voxel terrain was more granular systems. Outposts rather than cities essentially. These could be a lot more free with the placement but limited in size and function, maybe with space for just a few benches and mechanics prioritizing capture rather than destruction. Perhaps in stead of walls outpost hubs are generally intended for single buildings with a few slots for perimeter traps.

Outpost style limitations are where I could see underground structures being a good addition as it's simply more practical to use that kind of limited ingress/egress for a much smaller force that's relying much more on secrecy than strength of arms to safeguard its bits of storage, crafting benches, etc.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Why are we under the impression that digging will be minecraft style?  Most tunnels are painfully slow to dig and leave very visible tailings.  I have trouble imagining a mining operation big enough for a base that would go unnoticed.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

The bloodstone campaign is only one possible ruleset. They've said nothing about all defensive structure building requiring an SB style tree. I don't think we'll have "cities" and "city centers" since our fortifications will be much more transient, defensively mandated and slapped together. These are going to be rough and ready defensive structures, not your home.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

There is a problem with an underground base, and that's land regeneration. Getting buried would not be fun.

Life is not a Destination  -- Enjoy the Journey

Stand back, then, my friend. Stand back, watch and learn.

wxDQ4r3.png

well...you could drop the dorf tree...which basically made a tree grow underground or into the ground (in the form of passages), so you could carve your kingdom into a mountain.

it would be cool...although i'm not sure how the balance of seiging it would work out. Could be either uber gimp, or completely overpowered.

Honestly I think the parcel system will prevent any underground building. It seems like the buildings will just stick up above the underground fortress. That being said, networks of underground tunnels could definitely be used to confuse enemies. If they could be built within cities they might make defenders quite hard to fully root out, allowing time for reinforcements (like in the West Bank recently). Underground Caches also might be a really useful strategy, hoarding resources underground and having them trickle in or out rather than being moved all at once in order to throw off supply line raids, or storing them temporarily and closing off the entrance until a lost control point is retaken.