Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HappyWulf

Taking The Dwarf Fortress Route

Im kind of conflicted because its a cool idea. The benefits would be secrecy and not easily identifiable target point. The downside would be once your underground city WAS found, it might be impossible to defend... When literally the enemy can drop down on you anywhere. So I guess the trade off may keep it balanced maybe.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

Why impossible to defend? What's stopping you from building walls inside tunnels/caverns? You guys are thinking too simple.

I've been wondering if making a literal hole in the ground, in the middle of nowhere, perhaps even hidden behind some bushes and trees as a secret entrance, would be feasible for a player's Campaign HQ?

Rather than building up into a castle, you build down into a network of tunnels and subterranean rooms. I had been thinking about the comparisons and pro/cons to an above ground and below ground fortress. The most basic being where would you put your treasury in each? Underground you'd want to put it in the heart of your base, so others can't tunnel up into it from below nor from into the sides. In an above ground base you'd want to do the same, but this leaves it open to be attacked by artillery.

I'd say the primary benefit to building down would be secrecy, if it can be maintained. While the benefit of an above ground fortress would be that it's easier to defend.

Cool idea!

Im kind of conflicted because its a cool idea. The benefits would be secrecy and not easily identifiable target point. The downside would be once your underground city WAS found, it might be impossible to defend... When literally the enemy can drop down on you anywhere. So I guess the trade off may keep it balanced maybe.

It'd probably have to work as a short-term base; you stay in a hole for a bit and then you move every so often so you remain hidden.

Edited by ShadoPandauin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."