Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
447ght

What Are Your Hopes For Pve In Crowfall?

I just got done reading a thread where someone was flamed for suggesting that Crowfall wouldn't be primarily a PVP game. It was a massacre. Well, that's out of the way!

So I thought to myself, well somebody really ought to make a thread gauging what people actually are expecting from Crowfall in terms of PVE. I'll go first!

One of the things that really excited me about Crowfall was that the world would change and become more dangerous over time. To me that meant that the Environment, as well as the Players, would become increasingly dangerous. I'm not hoping for raiding, but I am hoping that there will be other challenges besides the PvP that can be faced with varying levels of organization. And I hope that those will seamlessly transition into and out of PvP situations, such as a Frost Giant interrupting a pitched battle over a caravan in a valley pass, or two groups of players coming to blows over a rare spawn. 

But what I'm really excited about is the unique rules for each realm, which will allow those who want a more PvP experience with less of a grind and those who want balanced opportunities able to choose a campaign that suits their needs. That's why I backed this project at as high a level as I could afford.

I agree... While the mobs will never be "the primary focus" I really hope its not

"Mob appears"

"Sheen places face on keyboard and wiggles back and fourth"

"Mob succumbs to its vicious inuries"

"Sheen returns under bridge"

Hopefully as the seasons change some challenge is there especially in winter.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

Screw the sand giant thing.

I'd really like mobs to wander and not be tied down to areas or rather have their areas of wandering be so large as to feel like they're not tied down.  

As far as the changing season, it could be really cool if mobs started hunting the people.  ie: maybe a big ice dragon gets attracted to an area with a lot of pvp deaths (like sharks to blood in the water), which would probably naturally be a resource node two+factions are fighting over.  Then the dragon just lays waste...well, creates a variable people have to deal with.  Could be "fun"

lol...mobs.....

hopefully they will be mostly meaningless after any "tutorial" period or newb area...

only interesting fight is versus Players.imo.........not AI

could just be me..

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I just got done reading a thread where someone was flamed for suggesting that Crowfall wouldn't be primarily a PVP game. It was a massacre. Well, that's out of the way!

So I thought to myself, well somebody really ought to make a thread gauging what people actually are expecting from Crowfall in terms of PVE. I'll go first!

One of the things that really excited me about Crowfall was that the world would change and become more dangerous over time. To me that meant that the Environment, as well as the Players, would become increasingly dangerous. I'm not hoping for raiding, but I am hoping that there will be other challenges besides the PvP that can be faced with varying levels of organization. And I hope that those will seamlessly transition into and out of PvP situations, such as a Frost Giant interrupting a pitched battle over a caravan in a valley pass, or two groups of players coming to blows over a rare spawn. 

But what I'm really excited about is the unique rules for each realm, which will allow those who want a more PvP experience with less of a grind and those who want balanced opportunities able to choose a campaign that suits their needs. That's why I backed this project at as high a level as I could afford.

Why is fighting a scripted/AI more interesting than fighting a real mind behind a character?  Just play one of the billion PVE games.

Give players a bonus and let them control the Frost Giant.

I hope we will have some oldschool (wow) moment I miss, you and a big group spent hours getting everyone to a worldboss zone and when you finally started fighting the boss other guilds showed and if they happent to be the other faction oo than there was a bloody battle. These scenes could last for hours because everyone was having so much fun, we even once had a teamspeak meeting between our guild master in order to stop the fighting and have some fun on ts later on. This is what I hope Crowfall brings back.

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

only interesting fight is versus Players.imo.........not AI

could just be me..

Most games must be incredibly boring to you then.  Sarcasm aside, I get the sentiment.  

Why is fighting a scripted/AI more interesting than fighting a real mind behind a character?  Just play one of the billion PVE games.

But the reverse argument can be made in that if I wanted to play a game of just running around wantonly killing play a small CoD map. I personally would like a COMPLETE game with lots of strategic pvp AND emergent gameplay. Hell, some of my most memorable moments from Shadowbane was training the giant world bosses into Blood&Irons city and laughing as it rampaged around killing them all. Just because a game hasnt done quality pvp with quality pve elements before doesnt mean it can never happen.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

If there are groups of mobs, you better believe you'll see that one guy rolling a mob train through a skirmish area.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

so you saw the flamefest and thought yours would go better? got it.

Still constructively contributing to the community huh guys? lol

@447ght 

PvE or Player vs Environment is a good description. Because I'm personally looking forward to the examples the devs have given thus far. Such as you find a castle inhabited by the undead which first must be cleared out before it can be can claim or a mine that needs to be clear out or the ever increasing hunger/warm system where as winter marches closer the effects becoming increasingly dire.

Whatever they do add I just hope it is as complex and dangerous as possible and not some simple "capture point" mechanic.

Screw the sand giant thing.

I'd really like mobs to wander and not be tied down to areas or rather have their areas of wandering be so large as to feel like they're not tied down.  

As far as the changing season, it could be really cool if mobs started hunting the people.  ie: maybe a big ice dragon gets attracted to an area with a lot of pvp deaths (like sharks to blood in the water), which would probably naturally be a resource node two+factions are fighting over.  Then the dragon just lays waste...well, creates a variable people have to deal with.  Could be "fun"

These are interesting ideas to me simply because it'll make the world feel alive, habitated, busy. Not some big empty wasteland ready for everyone to just find each other and kill over and over. It's more fun when the mobs aren't just standing in a circle twiddling their thumbs waited to be farmed for mats, but are everywhere, are dangerous, have spawns and patterns that make some sense. I want it to feel like a real world the players are fighting in. And yes they'll get in the way sometimes during fights but that's not a bad thing (I kind of like that idea for some reason). Although as for more than that, I do think big bosses are a fun idea not just for a change of pace, but it's something else to fight over and it also is a chance at putting some rare crafting mat in there. But mobs are important because they add to the over all "feel" of the game world IMO. Empty world with easy, static mobs gets boring, fast, even when you're there primarily to PvP.

Edited by leiloni

I would like to see PvE be a viable form of play in Crowfall, but not in the way it usually is in an MMO. I guess the best way of putting it is that I'd like to see the balance of PvE:PvP in the world switched; where in a game like WoW you might encounter some WPvP while questing, in Crowfall, the PvP would be everywhere, with PvE being more of the rarity. That said, if you seek it out, you should be able to find it. Importantly, PvP should never be completely unavoidable. There should be no instancing of any kind, and PvE content should not take place in safe zones at all (if the game even has any). 

I'm not sure what exactly I'd like to see. Nothing instanced, and nothing that would require a lot of development resources to create (as it shouldn't be a focus of the game). Maybe something Skyrim-esque, where you can find pockets of mobs spawned in the world to hunt and kill. The ability to camp spawns like in old-school MMOs would be an interesting way to have PvE while greatly increasing the likelihood of PvP conflict over access to it. 

The reward structure would be the hardest part, of course, as you couldn't do anything that would detract from the game's crafting focus. I'd have to refresh my memory on how open-world PvE in Star Wars Galaxies worked, but I imagine it could be used as a model. 

Edit: Just checked and this definitely fits within the boundaries of the FAQ (including the reward structure, thankfully): 

Crowfall will not have any instanced PvE dungeons and raids, for instance. The Worlds WILL be crawling with monsters and former inhabitants of the Dying Worlds, however.

Players will often need to fight NPC monsters near resource nodes, gain access to points of interest, scavenge for food and equipment, and often to simply survive. Many of these creatures are powerful enough that they will be very challenging to defeat – even for groups players working together.

Some activities will require players to seek out monsters – some recipes will require reagents that can only be found by defeating certain monsters, or require the use of rare Thralls (“ghosts” NPCs that must be captured) to bind into an enchantment. Also, remember that the monsters will also become more deadly as Winter approaches, and the Hunger bleeds the warmth from each World.

Edited by isarii

I am hoping they they are there to defend resourses and key points before player occupation. I also would like them to get exponentialy stronger from spring to winter. It should have some affect of the core of the world but not enough to make it the sole focus of the game.

Importantly, PvP should never be completely unavoidable.

They already said EKs will be but in camps...I whole heartily agree. I would love to be in the middle of helping to clear a castle when a enemy commando squad attacks! That would be such an exhilarating moment! Trying to defend AND clear out the castle...danger on all sides :D

They already said EKs will be but in camps...I whole heartily agree. I would love to be in the middle of helping to clear a castle when a enemy commando squad attacks! That would be such an exhilarating moment! Trying to defend AND clear out the castle...danger on all sides :D

Oh yeah, sorry - to be clear, not referring to EKs at all. 

I would like to see PvE be a viable form of play in Crowfall, but not in the way it usually is in an MMO. I guess the best way of putting it is that I'd like to see the balance of PvE:PvP in the world switched; where in a game like WoW you might encounter some WPvP while questing, in Crowfall, the PvP would be everywhere, with PvE being more of the rarity. That said, if you seek it out, you should be able to find it. Importantly, PvP should never be completely unavoidable. There should be no instancing of any kind, and PvE content should not take place in safe zones at all (if the game even has any). 

I'm not sure what exactly I'd like to see. Nothing instanced, and nothing that would require a lot of development resources to create (as it shouldn't be a focus of the game). Maybe something Skyrim-esque, where you can find pockets of mobs spawned in the world to hunt and kill. The ability to camp spawns like in old-school MMOs would be an interesting way to have PvE while greatly increasing the likelihood of PvP conflict over access to it. 

The reward structure would be the hardest part, of course, as you couldn't do anything that would detract from the game's crafting focus. I'd have to refresh my memory on how open-world PvE in Star Wars Galaxies worked, but I imagine it could be used as a model. 

Edit: Just checked and this definitely fits within the boundaries of the FAQ (including the reward structure, thankfully): 

Well said. I thought throwing away PvE is like throwing away a lot of potential for a MMO game. Perhaps we can take it back and create something new and not restricted to simply players farming for bosses. I'm sure everyone hates things that follow the same pattern and PvP is a way more fun because your opponent is another player which gives more variety to the battle you are about to have. I would love it if ACE can redefine PvE and tell the world that PvE is not just about farming.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post