Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
447ght

What Are Your Hopes For Pve In Crowfall?

Hey, OK let's get back on topic here. No more talking about WoW! Fight Godwin's law! Here are the ideas I've seen expressed so far

Dynamic PvE

-Wild creatures proliferate in areas where players don't go/shy away from player controlled and frequented areas

-AI NPCs attracted to battles or attack player held areas/raid player controlled caravans

-Migrations, herds of fauna move from place to place and have to be tracked/hunted for mats

Static PvE

-NPCs farmed for loot/mats

-Just there for whackamole/skillups between fights

-Creatures placed in spawns on the map

Literally Nothing But Player Characters

-Just people fighting in a totally empty campaign map

-Buildings and sites just "generate" resources like leather/bone/meat that would come from animals?

-This is what I think of when people say "I expect nothing from PvE"

Let's continue talking about what we expect to see in this game, as far as stuff that happens in this game that isn't fighting each other or crafting.

The Dynamic and Static PvE you describe already exists in another game to fantastic effect,  EVE Online - and the developers have been expanding on it with the sleeper and drifter story which directly involves the players themselves.  If anything this is a good example of what I consider forward thinking for a sandbox game, but I think that can be vastly improved upon, for one it doesn't have NPCs attracted to player PvP - although in Nullsec pirate NPCs actually camp gates waiting to pounce on unsuspecting pilots, although they are no real threat to anyone, still it adds to the gameplay.  Personally that's the sort of PvE content I'd like to see in Crowfall, I've already played a game without any PvE content, that being Planetside 2 and believe me it makes for a very boring experience.  You can get away with 100% PvP in a game like Battlefield, but not a full blown MMO, i think it's a mistake to not have it there - especially when it's part of the economy, like it is in EVE, where does the majority of components come from to build rigs in EVE Online?  PvE.  Where does the tech 2 and tech 3 stuff come from in EVE Online?  PvE, where does the materials required for building subsystems, scanners and electronic systems come from?  PvE.  Ships and weapon systems only need materials harvested from minerals, but everything else requires you to farm rats (NPCs) and go out exploring and hunting down relic and data sites.

But this game isn't EVE, but this game will have a similar economy and building system to EVE except without ISK, so not having NPCs as a resource for materials will in my opinion make a very dull experience, I mean how can you get leather without animals?  how can you get bone without animals?  Skin other players characters?  I don't think the game devs want to encourage such ethically questionable behaviour in this game... well unless they want to.  XD

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

The above quoted Dynamic PvE spawning is what should be striven for. Without some form of PvE that people who just want to be adventurers to hunt down trophies for; Big Game Hunters....   The game would become DayZ without the Z.

To that guy that compared different aspects of the game, PvP, PvE, Crafting, Mercantilism.... to putting all his favorite foods into a blender and eating the resulting slush.... No one is making a slush and/or forcing you yo eat it.If you are on the battlefield with your guild to take a fortress, and you stop to sell swords to your guild buddy you made because his broke, you're the one making the slush, not us.   The plates of your favorite foods are all laid out separately for you to enjoy individually, or together in areas where they go good together.

Edited by HappyWulf

How do yoy feel about crafting?

Pretty much the same way. Things need to fit together and not feel forced. If I'm crafting I want it to be because crafting is good and serves a purpose. Not because it's a daily chore I have to complete before I can be allowed to go out and play.

CF_Osgyth.png

Pretty much the same way. Things need to fit together and not feel forced. If I'm crafting I want it to be because crafting is good and serves a purpose. Not because it's a daily chore I have to complete before I can be allowed to go out and play.

What I was thinking was, that there will be people focused on crafting.

They are setting up the game to have pvp be dependent on crafting to stay ahead.

So, to craft, there will have to be people that gather the materials.

We have hints at disciplines for gathering too.

If crafting have to matter, then there will be more than a little focus for guilds, groups and individuals to farm materials. Unless they fall behind.

If material comes from various sources, suchs as PoIs, the general world (dig in the dirt, chop a tree, pick some flowers etc) AND from mobs, then there WILL be people that will farm mobs.

But not for exp or some pointless daily quests.

They will be farming it so they can make their fighters stronger. You know, so they can win more fight and in the end maybe win the campaign.

All this have to be connected. But it will have to be there.

Lucky for us, there are some limitations on what our characters can do.

Do be at the top in any of the 3 branches, you will most likely have to give up being anything but average in the other two.

So, for those that find it pointless or boring to kill mobs or dig mud, they better be the best at fighting.

And they better make sure their crafters and gatherers are protected, while trying to keep the enemy from getting too many resources.

As I see it, what changes the PvE, is that it will feed back into PvP AND at times they will both mix.

It is really hard to say that PvE in CF will be pointless, if they are supporting the whole point of the game.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

What I was thinking was, that there will be people focused on crafting.

They are setting up the game to have pvp be dependent on crafting to stay ahead.

So, to craft, there will have to be people that gather the materials.

We have hints at disciplines for gathering too.

If crafting have to matter, then there will be more than a little focus for guilds, groups and individuals to farm materials. Unless they fall behind.

If material comes from various sources, suchs as PoIs, the general world (dig in the dirt, chop a tree, pick some flowers etc) AND from mobs, then there WILL be people that will farm mobs.

But not for exp or some pointless daily quests.

They will be farming it so they can make their fighters stronger. You know, so they can win more fight and in the end maybe win the campaign.

All this have to be connected. But it will have to be there.

Lucky for us, there are some limitations on what our characters can do.

Do be at the top in any of the 3 branches, you will most likely have to give up being anything but average in the other two.

So, for those that find it pointless or boring to kill mobs or dig mud, they better be the best at fighting.

And they better make sure their crafters and gatherers are protected, while trying to keep the enemy from getting too many resources.

As I see it, what changes the PvE, is that it will feed back into PvP AND at times they will both mix.

It is really hard to say that PvE in CF will be pointless, if they are supporting the whole point of the game.

Its already been said there will be mobs in the game, just not the focus of the game.  Not sure how this thread is still active.  All NPCs will be for event campaign purposes or crafting purposes.  People who are pushing for raids or dungeon instances have already been told this wont happen.  Discussion over, next topic

Its already been said there will be mobs in the game, just not the focus of the game.  Not sure how this thread is still active.  All NPCs will be for event campaign purposes or crafting purposes.  People who are pushing for raids or dungeon instances have already been told this wont happen.  Discussion over, next topic

Loops my friend.

Because it's a thread about what people hope PvE will be in Crowfall and isn't necessarily about dungeons or raids being included? Frankly I find this treatment of "PvE" as a dirty word that seems to instantly provoke snide comments or ire around here sort of alarming. 

The devs have a vision for this game, they crowdfunded to keep it's integrity and their vision includes aspects of PvE that actually will have an impact on the game. Such as capturing and taming mounts, and gathering materials for crafting. Crafting is a huge part of the game, given that everything deteriorates.

PvE is healthy for the game if it is yet another thing that feeds back into player interaction, such as fighting over mob spawns or rare resources or even just fighting over the last hut with a fire as the winter and Hunger slowly envelops the last of the world. I hope the world itself steers us all into having to interact with each other, that's PvE.

One of the things I loved about monster hunter was the armor and the direct impact killing a thing, and getting stuff from the thing you killed, turned into the visual appeal and the attributes of the armor you made from the stuff you gathered from the thing you spent time killing.

Gear in the game is just pure win.

Edited by Zomnivore

Here's another thing I hope for, for CF.

Think of tombs, and crypts, and then things like magical well springs or, like magically enchanted forests. Think of all those environments in fantasy that are inhabited by fel beasts and energies. Part of what makes those places special and alive, and REAL, and not just sets, is that there are things living in them.

So if you design objectives in those sorts of settings, you have incentive to create obstacles that represent the things that live in those environments. Whether or not that's something you make seriously challenging at a passive level just goes to what scale of challenge you want the objective to represent capturing, and how you hedge against players sneaking in and getting it when its off hours.

Want a tough objective on a battlefield to not be easy to get for the first people there? Well make it an ancient battle ground with the ghosts risen and about re-battling their last. Etc.

Passive challenge to change the quality of difficulty the objective has to capture, in a static way...so people can't just rush to the randomly generated part of the map with 10 magically sealed castles and the soul-cube unlocking them is left out in the corn field, guarded by the surly scare crow.

Edited by Zomnivore

Best joke all day, right?

Please elaborate on how you think this will be a "typical PvE game" if not.

Typical PVE game as in static mobs placed in packs all around the world for farming. Take Shadowbane for example, there where these static packs of mobs all around the world that would drop different ranks of runes.  Normally the best guild would build there castles close to these. As they said there will be NPC mobs everywhere that get stronger as the seasons pass.

I was not stating that Crowfall would be a typical PVE game, but that the PVE in Crowfall would be a typical(basic) PVE minus the raid and dungeons.  Just as PVP was the main focus of Shadowbane with some typical PVE to make the world feel more real and not like an arena match.

You never seem to provide much feedback. You seem to be full of quick one liners to get you forum post count up yet I admit I have not read your post history. Just an assumption I have made for the threads I have seen you in.

You never seem to provide much feedback. You seem to be full of quick one liners to get you forum post count up yet I admit I have not read your post history. Just an assumption I have made for the threads I have seen you in.

I myself never look at a persons post count UNTIL they start complaining about someone elses and sure enough the complainer usually has under 100 and has not read ALL the previous threads discussing said subject.   PVE has been discussed ad nauseum since day 1.    As far as feedback, well, there is much in detail all out there archived.   One liners come from hearing the same poorly made socks said over and over :)   

Yes, it was established long ago that there are some PvE elements in this PvPcentric game.   To support the PvP , not to eliminate it.   

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Typical PVE game as in static mobs placed in packs all around the world for farming. Take Shadowbane for example, there where these static packs of mobs all around the world that would drop different ranks of runes.  Normally the best guild would build there castles close to these. As they said there will be NPC mobs everywhere that get stronger as the seasons pass.

I was not stating that Crowfall would be a typical PVE game, but that the PVE in Crowfall would be a typical(basic) PVE minus the raid and dungeons.  Just as PVP was the main focus of Shadowbane with some typical PVE to make the world feel more real and not like an arena match.

I just prefer more concise communication. You could have said all of that in one line and wasted less of my time. Next time maybe...