Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
447ght

What Are Your Hopes For Pve In Crowfall?

dynamic pve would be, could be, potentially cool.

i remember one of the promises of xsyon was that the flora and fauna would respond to player activity.

area goes unmolested? trees grass critters show up grow, etc.

players come in and clear it out? the environment responds and produces less.

This COULD be cool in a pvp environment as a way of provoking pvp.

*in a zone far far away a grobold a camp forms*

The camp forms under the leadership of King Reekor who stumbled across a relic that makes him no ordinary grobold

blah blah blah.

at some point, the relic will be lootable from the king, but at this point he would be pretty formidable.

anyway, with this model you could actually have guilds staking out 'preserves' so mob camps could develop (which they would then look to harvest), additionally trying to keep out 'poachers'. pvp focus- rune grabbing, reason for territory control. 

Reminds me a little bit of how Log Horizon (anime about an MMO) handled PVE. If left unhandled NPC groups such as goblins would build up their forces and eventually at unsuspecting Adventures even up to launching their own siege on player fortifications. Would make it a lot more difficult to maintain a fortification where the only other worry is waiting for schedule player sieges.

Plus imagine if a guild was attacking a another guild's fortification and then out of nowhere hundreds of NPC goblins joined in the fight? It would be pure chaos! Which would be awesome!

"To live, will be an awfully big adventure"

Best joke all day, right?

Please elaborate on how you think this will be a "typical PvE game" if not.

lol crazy right. Yeah it'll be a typical PvE game even without all the things that actually make it a typical PvE game.  Love the logic on display here. :blink:

Edited by pang

Given the context, I expect them to mostly be obstacles, similar to a metroid or Mario game. Maybe you get some active training on them or resources, but primarily they could just be in the way and you could contend with them with force, or avoidance, or cunning.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Games that try to do both PvE and PvP end up wasting 1/2 their budget.

...and games that only do one and fail to offer anything innovative end up wasting 100% of their budget.

I signed on to Crowfall because I think it will be different. Because I think it will innovate PvP and PvE (even if not in equal measure), not just do one better than anyone else. 

Plus this is still "inside the box" thinking. Why do PvE and PvP have to happen separately? Instancing only happened because WoW couldn't handle WPvP in Southshore on their servers. Ever since then, it's all instanced because that was what worked back then

Imagine not just PvP or PVE but PvPvE. Or PVP&E. No instances, no raids, just bada$$ NPCs fuc&ing sh!t up, with the constant threat of other players interfering. That sounds awesome to me, as a PvE-er and a PvP-er.

Paradigm shift, people! PARADIGM SHIFT

Edited by 447ght

Reminds me a little bit of how Log Horizon (anime about an MMO) handled PVE. If left unhandled NPC groups such as goblins would build up their forces and eventually at unsuspecting Adventures even up to launching their own siege on player fortifications. Would make it a lot more difficult to maintain a fortification where the only other worry is waiting for schedule player sieges.

Plus imagine if a guild was attacking a another guild's fortification and then out of nowhere hundreds of NPC goblins joined in the fight? It would be pure chaos! Which would be awesome!

Just to add to all this, for those that love PvE E.Q.Next is trying to make the ''new'' type of PvE with emergent A.I. and permament changes in the world, I would recommend them to check that if that is what they are looking for and not Crowfall whose main focus is PvE( Just to make sure, I am redirecting people that are looking for PvE focused gameplay in Crowfall and not rebuffing them)

...and games that only do one and fail to offer anything innovative end up wasting 100% of their budget.

I signed on to Crowfall because I think it will be different. Because I think it will innovate PvP and PvE (even if not in equal measure), not just do one better than anyone else. 

Plus this is still "inside the box" thinking. Why do PvE and PvP have to happen separately? Instancing only happened because WoW couldn't handle WPvP in Southshore on their servers. Ever since then, it's all instanced because that was what worked back then

Imagine not just PvP or PVE but PvPvE. Or PVP&E. No instances, no raids, just bada$$ NPCs fuc&ing sh!t up, with the constant threat of other players interfering. That sounds awesome to me, as a PvE-er and a PvP-er.

Paradigm shift, people! PARADIGM SHIFT

As someone who enjoys to play the game and not a specific aspect of it, I believe such gameplay will exist in crowfall but not on very big scale. Say there is this dungeon/ruins that you just raided and cleared the defenders (and maybe traps?) and took the treasures that were hidden within it, you are happy and satisfied, BUT while going back to your base you were killed and robbed by bandits(players that took this role) or you conquered a castle inhabited by NPCs with your team mates and while you are exhausted and recuperating you are attacked by players of the opposite faction. That's how I see PvE being in this game mostly(well not that you will encounter players everywhere :P). 

I expect what little pve we have to be better than EQ next ;)

That is quite the grand dream for a PvP focused MMORPG  :blink: , not that I wouldn't welcome it of course, as I said I love playing the game and not an aspect of it!

Edit:Did I write Crowfalls main focus was PvE ?! Damned I will be! Sorry folks I meant PvP in my previous post! ...Well second previous...~~

Edited by Wotaze

That is quite the grand dream for a PvP focused MMORPG  :blink: , not that I wouldn't welcome it of course, as I said I love playing the game and not an aspect of it!

More that I just don't expect anything but epic disaster from EQ next :)

More that I just don't expect anything but epic disaster from EQ next :)

Honestly? I don't know. I liked the PvE aspirations it has but it will be extremely hard to make right!(plus I've never played any games of the EQ line so I can't judge how well they make their games)

The only pve, i enjoyed was in daoc.. because you could solo but it would be a snail pace but grouping with promoted and made pve'ing alot better... Now the grind itself was not fun but atleast the pvp was not to bad... The dungeons was poorly made socksty, but zones like Musp , ramu, stonehedge and so forth was really cool. 

I think PvE/mobs can add a lot to a game, if you do it correctly. Everything they mention in the FAQ's and information seems to be just what I think should be done.

Certain PvE mobs that drop resources for crafting specific recipes? Yes please. We need leather, bone and food to survive, these are the perfect things to provide this in the world.

I am also looking for the PvE aspects of the game to setup moments of opportunity for PvP. If you know of a certain area where there is a wolf pack residing, and you are attacked by a larger force. Lead them through those woods and attack when they are dealing with the wolf threat. Using the NPC characters as you would a ravine to bottleneck an army, they are simply another aspect of the environment.

I am not looking for PvE raids and all this long drawn out loot grinding and crap that most MMO's have, but I definitely feel that NPC/PvE content can provide a lot to the world, not only in PvP planning/strategy, but bringing the world to life too.

Edited by MattVid

Vidrak - Member of

mael4.jpg

These are interesting ideas to me simply because it'll make the world feel alive, habitated, busy. Not some big empty wasteland ready for everyone to just find each other and kill over and over. It's more fun when the mobs aren't just standing in a circle twiddling their thumbs waited to be farmed for mats, but are everywhere, are dangerous, have spawns and patterns that make some sense. I want it to feel like a real world the players are fighting in. And yes they'll get in the way sometimes during fights but that's not a bad thing (I kind of like that idea for some reason). Although as for more than that, I do think big bosses are a fun idea not just for a change of pace, but it's something else to fight over and it also is a chance at putting some rare crafting mat in there. But mobs are important because they add to the over all "feel" of the game world IMO. Empty world with easy, static mobs gets boring, fast, even when you're there primarily to PvP.

I remember trying to fight for some world bams during tera beta for the guild tokens.  It was extremely hard given it was mostly just myself and Vunak (honestly the world bams were more dangerous, no heals or tanking XD ), but that was FUN stuff.

This game absolutely needs to have beneficial PVE to force contest between players or it'll just be a race to the biggest castle which the larger guilds will almost inevitably always have.  If that could be carried into Crowfall, or what many PVP server players enjoyed with the world bosses in WoW, that is what PvE should be.  It should be PvEvP.  Mobs have two very powerful roles if implemented properly, and that is as a point of contest and as a wild card.  Imagine you know there's a crypt filled with undead, so you make careful note of it, but you know that nearby is a crossroads that is commonly traveled by caravans.  You and your group see a VERY big prize, but it's too well guarded, so you decide to split up in groups.  One preps near the crypt, the other skirmishes with the group, tries pulling away a good enough chunk of the group, you pull them away from the caravan towards the crypt and blow a hole through a wall, now you've got undead pouring out on the chasers and you run off to the caravan to fight the smaller group.  Someone mentioned a dragon attack.  All of this would make for excellent PvE.

And as also was mentioned we know that we can expect PvE to clear out mines, quarries, keeps, and more in our quest for land and resources, but there can be so much more than just that.

Why are we entertaining the idea that crowfall has this or that amount of PvP focus when they can make rulesets that change how much PVP or PVE focus from campaign to campaign? I don't understand why the PVP people are trying to drive away the "Carebears". There's room in this game for both, more so than any other MMO I've ever heard of.

There could be a server with <GASP> NO PVP </GASP> where the entire competition between factions is who collects/crafts the most rare stuff or who beats the highest number of the biggest bosses.

Why are we entertaining the idea that crowfall has this or that amount of PvP focus when they can make rulesets that change how much PVP or PVE focus from campaign to campaign? I don't understand why the PVP people are trying to drive away the "gonzos". There's room in this game for both, more so than any other MMO I've ever heard of.

There could be a server with <GASP> NO PVP </GASP> where the entire competition between factions is who collects/crafts the most rare stuff or who beats the highest number of the biggest bosses.

Maybe in a world where content development was free and developers could create everything they want to without budget or time constraints, but Crowfall has a clear and stated focus, and that is PvP. There won't be resources allocated towards the level of PvE content development needed to make a PvE-only campaign viable, and there shouldn't be, because that kind of thing comes at a cost. 

Edited by isarii

Why are we entertaining the idea that crowfall has this or that amount of PvP focus when they can make rulesets that change how much PVP or PVE focus from campaign to campaign? I don't understand why the PVP people are trying to drive away the "gonzos". There's room in this game for both, more so than any other MMO I've ever heard of.

No, the development team is against this and have stated such numerous times. Edited by Adall

No, the development team is against this and have stated such numerous times.

Well I stand corrected. Or lay corrected actually, as I am in bed right now. I understand the constraints, but the possibilities are broad enough to set my brain working a little too far in the wrong direction.

It's not going to stop me from enjoying the game any. I'm hoping to have quite enough fun killing you all (or having minions do it for me). But really my hopes and dreams for PVE in CF are "it affects the game world, it provides opportunities for PVP and emergent gameplay"

Edited by 447ght