Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
447ght

What Are Your Hopes For Pve In Crowfall?

Hey, OK let's get back on topic here. No more talking about WoW! Fight Godwin's law! Here are the ideas I've seen expressed so far

Dynamic PvE

-Wild creatures proliferate in areas where players don't go/shy away from player controlled and frequented areas
-AI NPCs attracted to battles or attack player held areas/raid player controlled caravans

-Migrations, herds of fauna move from place to place and have to be tracked/hunted for mats

Static PvE

-NPCs farmed for loot/mats

-Just there for whackamole/skillups between fights

-Creatures placed in spawns on the map

Literally Nothing But Player Characters

-Just people fighting in a totally empty campaign map

-Buildings and sites just "generate" resources like leather/bone/meat that would come from animals?

-This is what I think of when people say "I expect nothing from PvE"

Let's continue talking about what we expect to see in this game, as far as stuff that happens in this game that isn't fighting each other or crafting.

I didn't read the OP, but I read the last post, so feel I am qualified to best answer the topic...

I hope PvE in Crowfall is a part of the game and available, but not a means to an end for anything.  However this is accomplished I'd be fine with.

[@--(o.O)@]

PvE in Crowfall could very well be Dynamic, but it should only be there to complement the PvP itself.

So as long as the PvE is in some way, preferable a good way, woven together with the PvP, it should be good according to me.

So no seperate PvE meta. I wouldn't like it if this game were to show even a small sign of the theme park MMO's we've grown to hate over the years. It would break my heart! :(

Edited by suckingdoge

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Solid client performance.

Good UI

Solid client performance

Good race/class/combos that are balanced

Client performances.........

Can't stress it enough dit oes not matter how good a game is conceptionally .........if the client/server performance sucks.....player pops will plummet and everyone will trash talk the game to the friends and it will just be that MMo that everyone hopped on for 2-3 months in dec 2016. If the performance is solid they can tweak the in game mechanics/balancing later.

I turn dough into $$$ .....The Pizza King of QFT

In the game my group and I are currently playing (Goblin Keeper, don't bother looking it up as it is shutting down at the end of the month), raids on PVE "towns" cause you to build a Hate score with stronger PVE "fortresses" that protect all the towns within a certain radius. Once the Hate accumulates to a certain point, the fortresses start sending retaliation attacks against you. The higher the score, the stronger the attacks. GK had a lot of flaws as a game, but it's one of the few I've seen where the PVEnvironment actively comes after you.

Something like this could be adapted for Crowfall. As you kill more monsters, you develop a "reputation" score that causes (intelligent) monsters to target you in battle, or even eventually hunt down your base.

I also REALLY like the idea of unpopulated/deserted areas building up large populations of monsters. And if they start reproducing, spreading, and getting bigger/stronger (until you deal with the source) so much the better.

Solid client performance.

Good UI

Solid client performance

Good race/class/combos that are balanced

Client performances.........

Can't stress it enough dit oes not matter how good a game is conceptionally .........if the client/server performance sucks.....player pops will plummet and everyone will trash talk the game to the friends and it will just be that MMo that everyone hopped on for 2-3 months in dec 2016. If the performance is solid they can tweak the in game mechanics/balancing later.

Don't expect balance when the devs have said there won't be race/class balance.

Moderately difficult, smart AI but not as smart as people, ability to optionally fight them without too much need to fight. Then give some reward depending on the difficulty of the creature. If I kill a deer, I get 2 nights worth of food, if I kill a dragon, I better get a dragon horn that I can craft into a magic sword.

I hope we have some good "soldiers" we control.  

I'd like to build a watch tower that has soldiers that guard a POI or section of road.  Perhaps you can upgrade he barracks in a keep in increase the NPC's on the walls.  Perhaps you could build a strategy room that allows you to send soldiers out into the countryside on patrol.  Maybe a forward base that can be used to send soldiers to assault the enemy cities walls to help bolster your attack.

I think a lot of people around are missing ways in which PvE elements can actually supplement and even engage PvP play. Strict PvE content obviously doesn't belong in this game -- the focal point of this game is clearly PvP and in no way should we try to detract or derail from that. However, people are missing the point that there is definitely ways in which PvE content can enhance and supplement PvP play.

One thing I'd love to see tough world "bosses" around that can give certain bonuses. (Access to a place with high strategic value, drops a large quantity of valuable resources, etc) The reason I say this is actually because it'll encourage unique and interesting PvP play. Since the boss is powerful, the teams interested in killing it will have to gather significant resources in order to topple it. Different groups can do such things as attempt to sabotage their progress, interrupt their attempts at attacking it, and whatever else have you.

I'd also love to see waves of hunger washing over large areas. As winter closes in and the hunger takes control, it'd be great to see entire waves of them traveling through areas and posing threats in areas of relative safety. One of the dangers of all PvP combat is eventually when borders are established, being well within your own borders is effectively a "safe-zone" and essentially makes the only PvP areas contested borders.

People need to stop thinking of PvE as WoW-like raids. There are plenty of ways that different types of PvE content can supplement and enhance PvP gameplay.

I hope we have some good "soldiers" we control.  

I'd like to build a watch tower that has soldiers that guard a POI or section of road.  Perhaps you can upgrade he barracks in a keep in increase the NPC's on the walls.  Perhaps you could build a strategy room that allows you to send soldiers out into the countryside on patrol.  Maybe a forward base that can be used to send soldiers to assault the enemy cities walls to help bolster your attack.

This is what other players are for. 

Being a PVE guy myself I wouldn't mind seeing some sprinkled in so that the PVP in the game doesn't become boring or redundant. After playing a PVP eccentric game in Archage it really starts to get tiresome when that's all there is to do in game. Not to mention it becomes real difficult for new players who may not be that great at PVP to progress in the game because of the constant greifing from more experienced players.   :)     

Being a PVE guy myself

Genuine question, as a PVE player, what drew you into Crowfall?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

This is what other players are for. 

I actually think that NPC defendants and what-not are kinda reasonable idea. You gotta fill those castles up with something.

Cattle, farmers, barmen, fodder-cannon. This sure will liven up the surroundings.

I thought it was different take on the mmo genre. Felt like it be worth giving it a look.

Indeed it is. Thanks for the answer.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I just got done reading a thread where someone was flamed for suggesting that Crowfall wouldn't be primarily a PVP game. It was a massacre. Well, that's out of the way!

So I thought to myself, well somebody really ought to make a thread gauging what people actually are expecting from Crowfall in terms of PVE. I'll go first!

One of the things that really excited me about Crowfall was that the world would change and become more dangerous over time. To me that meant that the Environment, as well as the Players, would become increasingly dangerous. I'm not hoping for raiding, but I am hoping that there will be other challenges besides the PvP that can be faced with varying levels of organization. And I hope that those will seamlessly transition into and out of PvP situations, such as a Frost Giant interrupting a pitched battle over a caravan in a valley pass, or two groups of players coming to blows over a rare spawn. 

But what I'm really excited about is the unique rules for each realm, which will allow those who want a more PvP experience with less of a grind and those who want balanced opportunities able to choose a campaign that suits their needs. That's why I backed this project at as high a level as I could afford.

I hope there are no mobs in the game that take more then 1 person to kill, Im sick of mmos with PvE focus, the only NPCs in this game should be for pvp objectives, aka guard this caravan or protect this VIP.

I actually think that NPC defendants and what-not are kinda reasonable idea. You gotta fill those castles up with something.

Cattle, farmers, barmen, fodder-cannon. This sure will liven up the surroundings.

This is what the scrub players are for.

Being a PVE guy myself I wouldn't mind seeing some sprinkled in so that the PVP in the game doesn't become boring or redundant. After playing a PVP eccentric game in Archage it really starts to get tiresome when that's all there is to do in game. Not to mention it becomes real difficult for new players who may not be that great at PVP to progress in the game because of the constant greifing from more experienced players.   :)     

In case it hasn't been guessed I'm more of a PvE person myself as well. But I always enjoyed the strategic aspects of instanced PvP/WPVP/WvWvW while I hated arena-style PvP and Ganking/Hunting. I also enjoy strategy games. I had also heard a guildmate raving about SB and I was intrigued by his stories. All of that together is what attracted me to crowfall. 

I think a lot of people around are missing ways in which PvE elements can actually supplement and even engage PvP play. Strict PvE content obviously doesn't belong in this game -- the focal point of this game is clearly PvP and in no way should we try to detract or derail from that. However, people are missing the point that there is definitely ways in which PvE content can enhance and supplement PvP play.

One thing I'd love to see tough world "bosses" around that can give certain bonuses. (Access to a place with high strategic value, drops a large quantity of valuable resources, etc) The reason I say this is actually because it'll encourage unique and interesting PvP play. Since the boss is powerful, the teams interested in killing it will have to gather significant resources in order to topple it. Different groups can do such things as attempt to sabotage their progress, interrupt their attempts at attacking it, and whatever else have you.

I'd also love to see waves of hunger washing over large areas. As winter closes in and the hunger takes control, it'd be great to see entire waves of them traveling through areas and posing threats in areas of relative safety. One of the dangers of all PvP combat is eventually when borders are established, being well within your own borders is effectively a "safe-zone" and essentially makes the only PvP areas contested borders.

People need to stop thinking of PvE as WoW-like raids. There are plenty of ways that different types of PvE content can supplement and enhance PvP gameplay.

Totally agree. I really want to see the most strategically valuable areas guarded by very powerful NPCs... monsters, armies, monstrous armies... That way the campaign is more than just a battlefield, everything will require scouting and preparation and teamwork.

So much more strategy to deploying 20 people to take an important location than just one or two people to cap and camp. 

Edited by 447ght

Not a big fan of the pve aspect, although I do realize that it has its place.    BUT.......

wouldnt it be hilarious if you were in a winter siege and a boss type mob wandered in.  Both parties quit fighting each other to kill the mob, then resume fighting each other again.

Sometimes I just crack myself up.

This is what the scrub players are for.

That's fine, as long as new people keep coming into the game. If it stops being true, well...There should be a way to fill a niche.