Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mortalman

How Would Artcraft Entertainment Handle Dupe Gate?

I have absolutely no sympathy towards players exploiting a game to get any kind of advantage or grief other players. Precautions such as keeping logs for a while should be taken in order to ensure there is a way to catch them, and their actions should be met with a temporary or permanent ban.

Edited by Krethys

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

We still don't know how good the relics will be. I would be surprised if they simply don't matter.

You know that when you argue that duping in the EKs will spill over and effect the campaigns, you are basically arguing that the EKs have the potential to overpower the campaigns.

Since we have been assured many times that this won't be the case, I still arguing that duping in the EKs won't effect the campaigns much.

If you want to insist, then I am more than happy to have a freakout about how the EKs will suck.

Disguised in grumpy sarcasm of course

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

you are basically arguing that the EKs have the potential to overpower the campaigns

I would not agree with that way of putting it.  I am arguing that EKs will have an impact on campaigns, not that they will "overpower" them.

IhhQKY6.gif

I have absolutely no sympathy towards players exploiting a game to get any kind of advantage or grief other players. Precautions such as keeping logs for a while should be taken in order to ensure there is a way to catch them, and their actions should be met with a temporary or permanent ban.

What's your definition of grief? One man's spawn camping is anothers phallic architect.

You know that when you argue that duping in the EKs will spill over and effect the campaigns, you are basically arguing that the EKs have the potential to overpower the campaigns.

Since we have been assured many times that this won't be the case, I still arguing that duping in the EKs won't effect the campaigns much.

If you want to insist, then I am more than happy to have a freakout about how the EKs will suck.

Disguised in grumpy sarcasm of course

...but, by the all father, I would have the tallest castles with all my duped rock!

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I would not agree with that way of putting it. I am arguing that EKs will have an impact on campaigns, not that they will "overpower" them.

Very little impact

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Very little impact

Oh i dunno man, having an endless supply of 1% to crafting Relics sounds pretty game breaking to me...

Slight nudge to the economy no doubt but hardly the impact if it was going on IN the Campaigns. The results of the Campaigns is what determines the rest of the game, if that gets all screwed up then yeah the game is custarded, game over.

Edited by pang

Not really much to talk about here. 

1) Our key MMO technologists have both experienced and fixed many known methods of duping on multiple game codebases.  We aren't likely to make the common coding and system design mistakes that allow dupes.

2) We will log lots of things and have lots of key metrics.  Any influx of items or materials will be obvious pretty quickly.  And in the unlikely event we end up having a dupe bug, we'll know exactly who's benefiting.

3)  The only way to deal with cheaters is to perma-ban them, and ensure all their assets are seized and destroyed.  And then be vigilant for them attempting to rejoin the game, rinse and repeat as necessary.  This is a much more difficult problem on free-to-play games than a pay-to-play game like Crowfall.

If you come across a bug that allows duping you better report it to ArtCraft support post-haste, not talk about it to other players/publish it and cease doing it yourself except at the direct behest of an ArtCraft employee.  We'll be happy to make you famous after we get it fixed and take care of the fallout, but that would be your call, not ours.

P.S. before WOW launched, I probably held the record for the most people ever banned (and the most banned in one incident), and huge proportion of those were for cheating/duping.  I'm not particularly proud of this, as banning is a blunt instrument, but some actions (like cheating) are so service-threatening that there is no other appropriate punishment.  Players expect us to keep the playing field level, and we take that responsibility seriously.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Glad to hear it's perma ban right away. I was actually shocked reading this thread with people saying "warning first, then ban" etc. No. You don't get to come back and play if you tried to gain an unfair advantage. Warnings piss me off. You ban them on first offense.

1) Our key MMO technologists have both experienced and fixed many known methods of duping on multiple game codebases.  We aren't likely to make the common coding and system design mistakes that allow dupes.

2) We will log lots of things and have lots of key metrics.  Any influx of items or materials will be obvious pretty quickly.  And in the unlikely event we end up having a dupe bug, we'll know exactly who's benefiting.

3)  The only way to deal with cheaters is to perma-ban them, and ensure all their assets are seized and destroyed.  And then be vigilant for them attempting to rejoin the game, rinse and repeat as necessary.  This is a much more difficult problem on free-to-play games than a pay-to-play game like Crowfall.

If you come across a bug that allows duping you better report it to ArtCraft support post-haste, not talk about it to other players/publish it and cease doing it yourself except at the direct behest of an ArtCraft employee.  We'll be happy to make you famous after we get it fixed and take care of the fallout, but that would be your call, not ours.

P.S. before WOW launched, I probably held the record for the most people ever banned (and the most banned in one incident), and huge proportion of those were for cheating/duping.  I'm not particularly proud of this, as banning is a blunt instrument, but some actions (like cheating) are so service-threatening that there is no other appropriate punishment.  Players expect us to keep the playing field level, and we take that responsibility seriously.

I'm really glad to hear this.  

Darkfall the game I'm currently playing is very lax on duping, and the server population has plummeted because of this latest scandal. (http://steamcharts.com/app/227400#48h) They gave repeat exploitation offenders a temporary ban.  The games economy is in shambles and even though the pvp is great many people just don't want to play the game anymore.  

ArtCraft seems like an extremely professional game company.  From what I have read you guys have a lot of veteran MMO developers on your crew.  After playing Mortal Online, and Darkfall I began to lose hope that  a decent game company would make a pvp oriented sandbox MMO.  Crowfall has restored my faith.  

mighty ban hammer. it works magic :).

mind you i sometimes like seeing naked noobs sprawled dead on the ground for hacking before the corpses are removed :P especially in a high population area. to remind folk "don't dupe" + "don't cheat" :P

"people are stupid , given the proper motivation can be made to believe any lie; either because they want to believe it is true or because they fear it is true" - wizard's first rule

Not only permabanned but have their heads staked in the Graveyard of Shame. :)

That is what they call The Hall of Fame

Always glad to see that there is a hard stance on cheating in any MMO.

But, isn't that really expected by now?

In my experience, everyone wants to crack down on cheaters in their games.

But that doesn't change the fact that almost every MMO have had some really bad times with bots and dupers.

There really isn't much that can turn me off a game as this running rampant.

Seeing big groups of bots running around in every zone or knowing that half the times is made with duped items, will make me camp out of the game and over time make me not log back in.

It is not even a matter of getting mad anymore.

It's like when you watch a movie and it turns out to be really boring. You simply start doing other things or turn it off.

If a game gets overrun by cheaters, I never expect that it is because the company don't WANT to do anything about it.

I simply assume that they really can't do anything.

Bots are exactly why we need open world PvP.

Gordon, if you are still reading, what happens if I kill a duper and loot his extra items?

Oh, borderline exploiting.

Very good question.

One guy dupes a ton of poorly made socks.

Lets other guy kill him.

Other guy loots a ton of duped poorly made socks.

First guy gets banned.

Other guy have lots of duped poorly made socks.

I would expect all the duped poorly made socks to get deleted though.

"But MAAAAAAAAH. I made those myself."

This is just a hunch but I don't think they will allow anyone to be banned just because you looted a duped item. You can't be responsible for that. There's too much experience on this team.

Now if you try and use that as an excuse and it's not really the truth. The Tyrant will hunt you down

Edited by oberon

Oh, borderline exploiting.

Very good question.

One guy dupes a ton of poorly made socks.

Lets other guy kill him.

Other guy loots a ton of duped poorly made socks.

First guy gets banned.

Other guy have lots of duped poorly made socks.

I would expect all the duped poorly made socks to get deleted though.

"But MAAAAAAAAH. I made those myself."

I plan on killing a lot of people and taking all their stuff, so I was speaking from the perspective of the innocent.

(Oh the irony of that statement)