Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thyr

Player Made Quests

So when I read some suggestions about for example things like Mercenaries, Bounty Hunters, etc. a little thought came to my mind. And first of all I think the following suggestion is only suitable for faction(s) vs faction(s) or Guild vs. Guild. Maybe with a little transformation for the dregs too. 

My suggestion is - as said in the title - player made quests. To specify these: not quests - jobs. 

Player 1 for example needs help - he either set's up a job for bounty hunting a specific player or requests a bodyguard. 

Player 2 for example needs a specific materials but he is too busy with crafting - he set's up a job so that someone gathers his mats for him. Said someone could then request a bodyguard. So you already formed a nice chain. 

The jobs or quests are fairly easy with a description, the objective and the payment. Payment could be any item or w.e. 

With faction or guild based campaigns there could be a job board deployed by someone or by default so players can register their jobs. Within the dregs you could broadcast your job offer to a certain area around you and players nearby can view your job offer. Similar to a ingame mail system but more temporary. 

The main objects could be: 

- bounty hunting - put in a player name which exists in the current campaign - the quests is active for X hours

- bodyguard - you shouldn't die and if you do the job failed thus no reward

- gathering - request an item and you are required to have at least 1 item in your inventory. What I mean is player should not request items they never saw or had before like beginners requests highest level mats or so. 

- crafting - crafter can broadcast what they are capable of and you can for example order X amount of potions. The crafter can decide what they want for it, for example the mats required plus a little bonus or so. Or just gold ore/w.e. 

- there could be other objectives for guilds or groups to conquer for example a PoI, to kill members of a certain guild (advanced bounty hunting), to scout and mark enemies. It depends what the game will be capable of. 

To me it would enhance the social aspects of the game which I think modern games are lacking. I mean generally speaking there can be solo players but socializing in a game like Crowfall somewhat secures a certain degree of success. I mean if you run into a group of 40 people - well bad luck ^^ But I guess you get the point. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Actually I've seen this done in an iPad game before and it did make the game really interesting as the requests are not boring but sometimes ridiculous such as (can you gift me certain items) but I'm sure you are talking about a regulated ones. The idea you are suggesting here is a quest board or a "request" board. Sometimes in MMO, players will send in extremely unfair request so for such a system to work, I think there should be a lot of rules and restrictions to how we can use the quest board. I do like the idea of the guild itself listing a quest which is probably much more meaningful but I'd rather have guild to have the quest board system as more famed guilds will have more requests and it helps strengthen their economy while weaker guilds will have to walk up bit by bit. Having this system also tests players' communication skills which I think would be a good idea.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Making a system specially for this purpose might be handy.

Though I'm pretty sure that if you join a guild or ask some friends they can help you with your troubles.

And if you pay someone, I'm sure almost anyone will do it if the pay is good enough.

The only advantage the system gives is tracking the jobs for you, which might just as well be done by the players themselves.

Plus, it might be harder to screw others over using this system which might eliminate the playstyle of 'being a hooligan.'

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

i also wrote a lot of times about this subject but at the end you don't need a system for that.

a quest is basically nothing other than a job,the adventurer provides a service and receives a formerly agreed on payment.

the only difference in CF is that there are no NPCs who give you quests but it will be players.

and since it is done by players we don't need a mechanic.

for instance lets say there was a mechanic that would automatically send the payment into your inventory or mailbox,that would completely undermine any shady gameplay in that game aspect.

without such a mechanic the quest giving player could still decide to not pay you and you in turn could start a head hunt.

and this is only one specific example,without a mechanic the possibilities are always much broader than with a mechanic

All of this can be done with just social interaction, we dont really need an ingame system to help us with this.

But it's easier to have an NPC there handing out rewards. It isn't biased.

Want to setup a race, use NPCs as a check in. Want to play hide the NPC, use one as a check point.

I feel this was suggested recently, maybe in general?

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

But it's easier to have an NPC there handing out rewards. It isn't biased.

Eaiser, yes

Better? no.

Forcing people to actually talk to eachother will bring a more immersive gaming experience than just talking to an npc, get quest, do quest, get reward from npc.

I thought they said there were no npc's to hand out rewards to? No armorsmiths, weaponsmiths, places to sell loot, etc.

Player made quest:

i'm broke.

my EK is desolate.

i should go into a campaign to get some gear.

I got owned. I should get some friends.

find guild in ek or campaign

Mission accomplished. If you can't find your own rewards in a video game without having your hand held then life's going to be really hard.

I thought they said there were no npc's to hand out rewards to? No armorsmiths, weaponsmiths, places to sell loot, etc.

Player made quest:

i'm broke.

my EK is desolate.

i should go into a campaign to get some gear.

I got owned. I should get some friends.

find guild in ek or campaign

Mission accomplished. If you can't find your own rewards in a video game without having your hand held then life's going to be really hard.

Yeah I don't think so either. The deal should be done between the person who posted the quest and the person who got the quest done and wouldn't be a legit deal if the trade wasn't done directly.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

All of this can be done with just social interaction, we dont really need an ingame system to help us with this.

Thank you for posting this for me.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

It would be nice to have a contract system, though. Deliver 10 Pure Copper to my thrall in Fort Death and receive this reward which I'd already escrowed.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

The jobs or quests are fairly easy with a description, the objective and the payment. Payment could be any item or w.e. 

Adding Objectivism to Crowfall is essential!  Can Andrew Ryan be a stretch goal deity?

I could see this being useful for faction and deity campaigns when you may have a lot of non-guilded players thrown together.  I would prefer something that is less focused on posting quests and rewards and more a set of tools that helps organize players by their capability and needs.  The crafter could log in and see the faction has requested some more armor and warhammers after a recent battle .  An hour later three friends log in and see on the board that the crafter is calling for people to bring him another 100 units of copper so he can finish his craft projects.

Alternatively, every campaign could come with a forum that gave a space for faction/diety teams to communicate.  Be a board for tasks that need to be done etc.

If teams are going to make some of the tactical choices mentioned in the recent bloodstone example update, something more than a chat window to divide labor would help a lot.

well I don't want to deny the fact that player socialization pretty much solve this topic. However how far goes social interaction? Do you ask a stranger about gathering mats for you or craft something for you? Do you pay someone to kill another player? 

Regarding gathering - normally one would gather mats and then sell or trade it so there is no real difference between a job or a trade. Same with crafting - there wouldn't be that much difference to a trade. Only "carebare" option would be a security mechanism which could prevent scams but to me that point is solving itself within a community. 

What I do like is the bodyguard or bounty hunt request - because that's normally something which doesn't occur that often in games. Often you have pretty loose verbal agreements on alliances or mercs. So a little more seriousness here maybe will create the mercs faction or w.e. 

Don't get me wrong - player interaction itself can work every aspect out. It's just that I rarely see any "normal" social interaction beside the guild & alliance interaction in most games. Of course if you acknowledged someone then it's something else but in general it's getting rarer. Maybe Crowfall will develop in the right direction. 

Also to me something like could be a tool for larger groups to direct and appeal the solo or non-guild players. And don't get me with "yeah then join a guild" - there are a good percentage of those who doesn't want to join a guild. And why not use them for your needs (craft, gather) so you can focus on more important things. 

Edited by Thyr

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

I think it's silly to suggest that a system like this would impact social interaction in a game that is going to be almost exclusively PvP, group and guild oriented. It'd be great if there was an automated system like this, posting jobs for other people to take up.

It would also make the economy move better, given that people would more readily see who needs what.. or who wants who dead. Would also cut down on spam in global channels. Not to mention, if there is going to be a cash shop currency, it would be a great way for players to trade that away and likely raise sales on the currency for new content released when people have used those credits they didn't think they'd need on getting someone's head in their inbox.

Edit: Wouldn't cut down on shady dealings either, since people may want to be more discreet about putting bounties on peoples' heads. Time could also be a factor, since you may want a job done quickly rather than wait for someone to take it up from the system.

Edited by PsionCCC

The problem with this is scamming.

I type: Do x for me and you get y reward.

You do x.

I say: thanks.

You may ask for y but are already on ignore list.

Only mean people will do it, but there are those kind of people in every game. It's something that must be thought of.

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

I have my own and only quest:

The Carafall:

Find, loot and destroy everyone elses caravans.

Rewards:

For the Lols

2whf87a.jpg

The problem with this is scamming.

I type: Do x for me and you get y reward.

You do x.

I say: thanks.

You may ask for y but are already on ignore list.

Only mean people will do it, but there are those kind of people in every game. It's something that must be thought of.

The community would police itself with this regard.  It is also less common in games with no free to play structure, and limited character slots.

Regarding the OP...Bounty boards?  You put a handsome bounty on my head that auto-pays and I'm going to simply have a guildmate off me somewhere safe, split the reward, pick up my gear, and go about my day.  To be effective it requires a bit of social interaction that you can't get from an NPC handing out pre-determined rewards.

[@--(o.O)@]

without a mechanic the possibilities are always much broader than with a mechanic

Absolutely.

It would be nice to have a contract system, though. Deliver 10 Pure Copper to my thrall in Fort Death and receive this reward which I'd already escrowed.

Yes, that would be nice, too.

The advantage of being able to instruct a Thrall to complete the trade is that it could be done while you're offline or embroiled in a siege and really can't get away to the EKs to make the trade.

Necessary?  No.  Nice to have?  Yes.

On the other hand, having mechanics like this would favor the professional farmer by giving them a hands-off way to deliver their goods.  It won't necessarily make the farming easier, but it will let them delegate half of their job to a Thrall.

I'm in favor of deliberately excluding a nice-to-have feature if leaving it out will hurt "professional farmers" more than it will hurt "regular players".

Edit: sent some words back to the department of redundancy department

Edited by buc0727

soli deo gloria