Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plush

Let's Change The Slogan.

Your empire won't be built in a day.  Try not to let it fall in one.

I kinda like that +1

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I don't think the slogan should be changed. Eve Online in a medieval world is basically what got me fishing here and the confirmation of that through player political world, building/destruction, and procedurally generated worlds hooked me.

But here's how I would describe the game to someone who's too lazy to find out what Eve Online is:

A game about choices. A game about the players. A game about building. A game about destroying. A game about the temporary. A game about eternity. 

snip

Could of just as easily said "A Hardcore MMO with political and social intraedge."  But that would of sounded a little pedantic... :P

Could also say "Upset Shadowbane was closed?  Don't be anymore, shhh it's ok, we're here to help."  :D

Edited by Synast

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

I think the slogan is a bit much, "It's like Game of Thrones meets EVE Online". IMO that is a lot to live up to. How about;

"It's a game but not really.. maybe?" or "Another procedurally generated voxel game, but this time it's different."

Based on what information we have, what should Crowfall's true slogan be?

"Crowfall. This just in: mad kids are still mad."

Could of just as easily said "A Hardcore MMO with political and social intraedge."  But that would of sounded a little pedantic... :P

Could also say "Upset Shadowbane was closed?  Don't be anymore, shhh it's ok, we're here to help."  :D

x sigh x  here fixt for you

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

To be honest gamers are so used to the WoW model that the only thing around these days which has any resemblance to what MMOs used to be like is the last of it's kind from those days, EVE Online.

The EVE Online reference is to do with simply, well it's the only thing most younger gamers today will understand since all they have known is WoW model or the DC Universe/Guild Wars 2 model.

I agree with the developers, nothing else can really be used, problem with it is it may confuse some people, as it confused me, but all I needed to do is remember what it used to be like.

I'd say their choices are the best they could of when I think long enough on it.  Because seasons, increasingly more deadly monsters, a more complex and structured class social system and other elements more focused on the entire playerbase and having campaigns etc makes it distinctly different from the sandbox that is EVE, which is a very different beast, so I can see the comparison to Game of Thrones.

Now I am glade I backed this game and I like it more and more now I've unclouded my head on the issue.

But here's the viewpoint of the common gamer who likely has never heard of EVE Online or understands EVE Online, never played Shadowbane, likely has a background of feeling hurt by guilds like myself and so on... 

They will be turned off by the notion of "It's like Game of Thrones" because they will feel like it's trying to latch onto a trending thing at the moment.

And EVE Online players would think "Oh it's like this game, but set in fantasy" - yeah that's exactly what they think, that's what I thought.

I honestly think the only possible way someone could come up with a completely unbiased and original idea on how to slogan market this game, would be for them to have never played Shadowbane, never played EVE Online, never played Dark Age of Camelot, never played Ultima Online, never played Minecraft, never played Landmark, never watched or showed any interest in Game of Thrones and to come into the experience of Crowfall by actually play testing the game.

So in other words, not someone our age.  Someone who is much younger than us.   :P

Edited by Synast

So in other words, not someone our age.  Someone who is much younger than us.   :P

Good Luck with that!    Not gonna find someone young enough with skills to do that that hasn't played an MMO.   I had an 11 year view the game play vids and read some and she immediately said "   OMG, this is so much like MineCraft ( the hunger games version ) and she has played plenty of games already ( out grew W101 a year ago ).   EVERYONE that watches, reads will come from their own point of reference and since gamers start so darn early these days I doubt we will find anyone that has never played at least one.  I wish ACE luck with this.  Might be the toughest thing yet.   

To be honest gamers are so used to the WoW model that the only thing around these days which has any resemblance to what MMOs used to be like is the last of it's kind from those days, EVE Online.

[snip]

Please stop breaking my heart. The past decade has not been good to me. I've coasted everywhere for that duration trying to find the holy grail or at least somewhat very close to what MMOs should truly be about with its massive scope of potential, not a lottery ticket simulator with dress up dolls a la skinner box. I've heard super bitter players complain that when they log into the world, they pretty much feel like they're just controlling a camera, not a character. How custarded is that? Seriously, to get to that point where people have to FEEL like that..... is bad design alone.

I need to get off the treadmill or I'm going to vomit.

It doesn't help that it's being regurgitated as a blueprint. I just feel ill just thinking about it, the fact that I should have to get ill over it means the genre seriously needs a remedy. The marketers have essentially been winning the past decade by keeping the wool over the masses eyes and saying "this is all there is to it, we've done our job, now make sure you hit the subscribe button some more and we'll roll out some more of the same drek with minimal effort and no risk." Even they forgot how they got there in the first place, wouldn't be shilling if there wasn't ground to break into the area.

As for the young crowd of people, I wouldn't mind getting to think that the WoW formula isn't the end all be all, and even it's getting up there in years. If they can start to think "there ARE different designs and solutions after all!" and focus on making MMOs a GAME instead of a simulator, then I'm all for them. Maturity may be a factor for age in some ways, but not all of them are as immature or narrow-minded as the rest of them.

If the slogan works for that kind of sense and feel, then by all means custard use it. I'm just glad I don't see "it's like WoW but better" anywhere near the damn thing.

Edited by Lastboy

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

Please stop breaking my heart. The past decade has not been good to me. I've coasted everywhere for that duration trying to find the holy grail or at least somewhat very close to what MMOs should truly be about with its massive scope of potential, not a lottery ticket simulator with dress up dolls a la skinner box. I've heard super bitter players complain that when they log into the world, they pretty much feel like they're just controlling a camera, not a character. How custarded is that? Seriously, to get to that point where people have to FEEL like that..... is bad design alone.

I need to get off the treadmill or I'm going to vomit.

It doesn't help that it's being regurgitated as a blueprint. I just feel ill just thinking about it, the fact that I should have to get ill over it means the genre seriously needs a remedy. The marketers have essentially been winning the past decade by keeping the wool over the masses eyes and saying "this is all there is to it, we've done our job, now make sure you hit the subscribe button some more and we'll roll out some more of the same drek with minimal effort and no risk." Even they forgot how they got there in the first place, wouldn't be shilling if there wasn't ground to break into the area.

As for the young crowd of people, I wouldn't mind getting to think that the WoW formula isn't the end all be all, and even it's getting up there in years. If they can start to think "there ARE different designs and solutions after all!" and focus on making MMOs a GAME instead of a simulator, then I'm all for them. Maturity may be a factor for age in some ways, but not all of them are as immature or narrow-minded as the rest of them.

If the slogan works for that kind of sense and feel, then by all means custard use it. I'm just glad I don't see "it's like WoW but better" anywhere near the damn thing.

Well I mean as elle said,  many of us, especially people who don't have kids or interact with kids or teenagers, so therefore our opinion is pointless and holds little weight for that.  WoW is itself now aging and I find that the majority of people in our age group used to play have quit and are drifting from game to game, many having quit upwards of around 5 years ago, seems to be rather common.

Same for people driven out of Ultima Online and Everquest because of the changes forced upon them by their parent companies in an attempt to attract new customers - all it does is alienate and force out the existing.

When I look at the WoW community today, the vast majority of the younger players are not really young, the majority of them are the kids of the adults who played when we were teenagers.  Very few people of a very young age who don't currently have parents who play WoW actually play WoW.  In fact a majority of kids these days play games like Minecraft and League of legends.

MMOs need to go back to where they were back in the late 90s because the interest will drop down to that same level as it was and the expectation of quality will reflect it.  Developers want the freedom to create the dreams they always wanted without the burden of coming to a compromise with money people (SWTOR is the purest example of this, I can see how desperately they tried to weave what they wanted to do between the make it like WoW garbage).  And to achieve that freedom their company must be independent, why did EVE survive so long with only small changes over the years to it's base gameplay?  Because the developer is independent.  

I've worked out a trend in MMOs, to be successful you must be independent, you must not answer to anyone but yourself.  Otherwise you will always be doomed to be at the beck and call and the mercy of money people.

Look at Mechwarrior Online for example,  that game was a disaster because of it's terrible publisher.  Soon as they got full rights to the IP again, all of a sudden stuff they promised for years is finally out, problem is, it may be too late.

One could argue "Well, you need to stop being a bunch of 'woe is me, I want fairness from publishers' garbage etc, you need to clearly outline the conditions for contract and cover every detail with them to make sure you don't get screwed."  Well that is true and dandy, but they have to have a "reason" to even invest in your project in the first place and that's where they screw you, for your desperation for funding.  So yeah... nice argument, if it had any reality to it...

In this massive over saturated market where video games are no longer defined as nerdy, but an entertainment medium, as movies went from art house obscurity to mainstream in the 1920s, this is a period of time where the industry as a whole is most vulnerable to another collapse but at the same time has too much fuel to cash this time.  

The change I see is games and their subsequent following and communities will become more inclusive and more entirely focused on themselves, excluding the outside world and other games completely.  And people in turn refining their tastes, no longer will there be the identity that "I am a gamer", but one of "I am a fan of this genre of games only." or "I only like to play these games.", this started around 5 or so years ago, now it will expand to encompass everyone.  Still doesn't mean people won't play other games, it means that to survive the market needs to realize you can't market to everyone, you should simply market what you offer.  Developers have worked this out, unless big companies also work this out too, then they will fall by the wayside, again, like they did in the 80s, but this time not because of the market being saturated with clones and garbage, but because what they market is generic and dull.

and a rant against UO... sorry Gordon and Raph!

*shakes fist*   :)

Crowfall: War. Allies. Enemies. Empires. Betrayal. Risk. Conquest. Play to Win, Play to Crush!

Edited by noobzilla_youtube