Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

City Sieging Explored

ok...I love the whole concept of city sieges...and was hoping to see/read more stuff about that....

and we did..sort of...but actually what we got was a video covering part of the combat FAQ...fair enough...

here's my thing...part of me is VERY happy at the tidbots of new that were let slipped....we now know building our city involves wall and building

placement...a HUGE sigh of relief here...

downside...and I'm only giving my Opinion here.....I think I truly despise the completely artificial bloodstone gimmick... imo it reeks of all I tend not to like..

my concern is that this chasing all over for completely artificial "win conditions" will forcivly drag gameplay into just that....games...as opposed to a "warsim"

I'll probably just have to get over it.....call me silly...but I just want the Player driven conflict and politics...not game mechanics imposed on a "war"

could just be me...

Isn't it just one possible ruleset or is this in every campaign?

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I certainly like the sound of "more open than capture the flag" where you can be in between things,not necessarily part of a guild.

But rather a mercenary camp or thieves hideout,monk monastery,...

As I mentioned in the combat dialogue suggestion topic
I remember an age of empires game where I lost nearly everything,except for a monk unit that could convert other units.
So i fled as the enemy was destroying my town.
After some exploration with my monk I stumbled accross some enemy workers,managed to convert a few & establish a town.
In the end I catched on and even won the game.
This is my most memorable Age of empire experience.

Not knowing how things will play out is very important I believe.
Units with unique abilities like the monk in age of empire can also help foster emergent gameplay.
A pvp game lends itself better to being unpredictable.
In a pve game you've seen it after several playthroughs.

It seems like you won't forget to emphasize cooperation next to competition after all.

Isn't it just one possible ruleset or is this in every campaign?

One possible ruleset, but it is the only one we have really heard about in terms of how to win.

One possible ruleset, but it is the only one we have really heard about in terms of how to win.

I really hope it isn't the only one.

Seems to dull to have everyone just purely focus on these bloodstones.

That would make the game susceptible to the issues GW2 WvW has.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

I really hope it isn't the only one.

Seems to dull to have everyone just purely focus on these bloodstones.

That would make the game susceptible to the issues GW2 WvW has.

Yup, here is to hoping for a conquest ruleset, gather up and battle for landmass. I just hope I can wall it all off and put arrow towers everywhere!

I need to stop playing Age of Empires...

Number of lives, POI holding, and maybe number of resources gathered (forcing caravan runs)...are ones I'm expecting. Timed campaign with increasing mobs/debuffs with limited lives would probably appease both the PVP and slightly PVE crowd. But you're right, this is the only one we've seen fleshed out. Nothing wrong with CTF though, it's a classic and this brings something a little more interesting to it. I like what you said on the other post, a Bloodstone Tracker discipline rune would be the way to go for balance.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

This is a pretty interesting scenario and raises about a thousand new questions. Can't wait for Friday! Any clarification on what the Wednesday updates might entail and what format they will take?

They have made at least three of them already, if you would like to see what format they will use, it will very likely follow the format used in these three example updates:

Team Update

Update from the Founders

Early Bird Pledges Update

In summary, they are just going to be less flashy, just words and for more informative / technical communication.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

ok...I love the whole concept of city sieges...and was hoping to see/read more stuff about that....

and we did..sort of...but actually what we got was a video covering part of the combat FAQ...fair enough...

here's my thing...part of me is VERY happy at the tidbots of new that were let slipped....we now know building our city involves wall and building

placement...a HUGE sigh of relief here...

downside...and I'm only giving my Opinion here.....I think I truly despise the completely artificial bloodstone gimmick... imo it reeks of all I tend not to like..

my concern is that this chasing all over for completely artificial "win conditions" will forcivly drag gameplay into just that....games...as opposed to a "warsim"

I'll probably just have to get over it.....call me silly...but I just want the Player driven conflict and politics...not game mechanics imposed on a "war"

could just be me...

Yea, I hope "victory points" are not a thing in the Dregs ruleset.

Edit: as many said before me.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

I'm trying to imagine a time mid-campaign when things will be less contested.  Seems like a world full of numerous guild factions would have constant warring after a certain point with the fog of war pushed back.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Yea, I hope "victory points" are not a thing in the Dregs ruleset.

Edit: as many said before me.

Not sure what you would mean by no victory points. Even on the Dregs there will need to be win conditions so not sure what it matters what the actual mechanic is to determine the winner. Call it victory points, cal it win conditions met or w/e its all the same really.

If there are communities doing this, then that would be exploiting a poorly thought out system.  There would need to be a greater benefit to the owner of the fort/castle to keep it in one piece as opposed to breaking it down to farm bloodstones.

Off the top of my head, I imagine a keep holding a certain amount of territory would have a "ticker" so that every hour or two a point is earned, and the bloodstones are a way to pull ahead of the race.  How many points it would be, would be a balance issue adjusted in design that indicates more risk = more reward, but just leaving your fort undefended would be something that could completely backfire.

Also, if the second guild already had a fort, and now they had two, they would have to try and defend both which doesn't seem very plausible.  It would be nice that if you opted to destroy a fortification, if it left behind materials that could then be gathered up and caravaned to another base.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Pang has it right. Every campaign is going to be a game, in that it will have a defined victory condition which each team will be striving to reach first. Some of those games will be basic conquest games; others will have more intricate ways to win. If you prefer to play only conquest games, that's fine,  but the line you're drawing is between preferred and non-preferred games, not between non-games and games.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

It is extremely nice to see an update on sieges.

I agree that while the Bloodstones rule set looks functional and enjoyable, the Bloodstone mechanics are still a very small space for new gameplay elements to pop up (Emergent gameplay).

Bloodstone Campaigns sound like a good rule set for short duration Campaigns, Bloodstones allow players to have an objective as soon as they land in the world.  These are mechanics of objective knowledge convenience (Knowing what to do to make good use of the little time a short Campaign can give).

I, along with many more, and very interested in hearing about Campaigns with more cryptic objectives (For those 6+ month Campaigns).  I want to see a variety of different player objectives. For example, conquerors that reap on POI rewards, explorers that search for rare resources (Rune Stones, high quality reagents) and either side with the winner, or kneel to the victor (In exchange for additional tribute negotiated).  Crafter and Neutral players factions dedicated to producing items and negotiating kneelings with the victor candidates.

I want to see diplomacy, and I want to see tyrants.  Please update us on less restricted rule sets.

And a small suggestion:  What do people think of a Campaign with a hidden victory condition (From a pool of different known victory conditions) to slow down the metagame at the beginning of a Campaign?

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Capture the flag was never my favorite game mode I admit,I prefer deathmatches.
Where you have to eliminate all buildings & players of a faction.No victory points,no bloodstones et cetera.
But there could be a grail hidden away if you collect all the puzzle pieces on the map to find it.

This is a pretty interesting scenario and raises about a thousand new questions. Can't wait for Friday! Any clarification on what the Wednesday updates might entail and what format they will take?

Wednesday updates won't be about the game normally, more about the team, company or process.  Like almost every other founder update.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook