Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyjax

Sbemu - How Does It Stack Up Against Magicbane?

The Shadowbane Emulator project seems to be handling banes with little to no problems.  There are balance issues but that is to be expected when introducing new class changes and abilities.

Edited by cyjax

That chart looks pretty conclusive to me. And doesnt it suck when they wont even let you make alt accounts to continue a mindless tirade?

Are you still doing volunteer work at SBEMU?

I wasn't able to read your heart-breaking ban PM until recently as I couldn't log into the forums after it was sent. But now I'm back and fully rehabilitated! Wish I had the time to play more.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

Say what you want but it's still poorly made socksty to have communities broken up, when we don't have the NA/EU population to support 2 large servers anymore. Wish they would just combine the 2 into one project, but that's not going to happen.

Crowfall%20Fei.png

~Black Aria IC~

It would be difficult to fashion a compromise. SBEMU has a better managed community and MB has servers than run way better. An ideal compromise would theoretically be to use MB servers with SBEMU community management, however for that to work the "Community Managers" would have to stop banning players. A little censorship for the sake of preserving privacy and decency is okay with me, but anything beyond a "time-out" for a veteran player, particularly when the moderator in question may have an underlying in-game political animus motivating him for such a ban, is absurd at this point.

I can't see such a thing ever happening, though. It sucks, but it looks like the communities are hopelessly divided. Even trying to play within each simultaneously presents certain perils.

I like MB's free speech forum approach in the sense that it's not punitive toward players over trivial differences, but laissez-faire forum moderation motivated by a desire to create a free speech environment always emboldens a lot of morons to spam a lot of moronic garbage. This goes for any internet forum and not just on-line game ones.

If MB's community were as well-developed as SBEMU, I don't think that SBEMU could be competitive. The appearance of SBEMU's forums and the project's age do a lot for its stature within the community overall. I'm sure that there are still plenty of people who haven't even heard of Magicbane yet.

Edited by managainsttime

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

Are you still doing volunteer work at SBEMU?

I wasn't able to read your heart-breaking ban PM until recently as I couldn't log into the forums after it was sent. But now I'm back and fully rehabilitated! Wish I had the time to play more.

I tried to be gentle, sorry if it hurt.    And rehabilitated?  Ha :P

PFq3vWQ.png

I tried to be gentle, sorry if it hurt.    And rehabilitated?  Ha :P

So are you still playing? I'm totally unaffiliated on the SBEMU atm. It's hard for me to decide on a crew currently. I'd be happy to show you how to party, and an opportunity like that is a once-in-a-lifetime sort of deal.

Think of the shock factor that such an association could produce. It may even rival Darth Vader's flip to the dark side. I wouldn't even ask you to be a hooligan to people on the forums, either. I've always had that covered.

Edited by managainsttime

4H4LmCE.gif

It would be difficult to fashion a compromise. SBEMU has a better managed community and MB has servers than run way better. An ideal compromise would theoretically be to use MB servers with SBEMU community management, however for that to work the "Community Managers" would have to stop banning players. A little censorship for the sake of preserving privacy and decency is okay with me, but anything beyond a "time-out" for a veteran player, particularly when the moderator in question may have an underlying in-game political animus motivating him for such a ban, is absurd at this point.

I can't see such a thing ever happening, though. It sucks, but it looks like the communities are hopelessly divided. Even trying to play within each simultaneously presents certain perils.

I like MB's free speech forum approach in the sense that it's not punitive toward players over trivial differences, but laissez-faire forum moderation motivated by a desire to create a free speech environment always emboldens a lot of morons to spam a lot of moronic garbage. This goes for any internet forum and not just on-line game ones.

If MB's community were as well-developed as SBEMU, I don't think that SBEMU could be competitive. The appearance of SBEMU's forums and the project's age do a lot for its stature within the community overall. I'm sure that there are still plenty of people who haven't even heard of Magicbane yet.

The people pretending to be the Russians are very, very anti-censorship. Nearly any kind of moderation is censorship in their books.

Edited by halethrain

ncLez59.png

The people pretending to be the Russians are very, very anti-censorship. Nearly any kind of moderation is censorship in their books.

Pretending?

Crowfall%20Fei.png

~Black Aria IC~

If MB actually does wipe in a few months I am betting that quite a few people jump back over there.  We will see, tho.  Any way it goes both populations will diminish once CF is released, IMO.

Edit:  Also, I disagree with your "CN zerg present".  Plenty of people are bringing the same numbers to their fights as the CN people on SBEmu from what I've seen. 

Edited by mal

Just fought in a 4 hour bane on MB and it was pretty great, although my sleeping schedule will be effed for the next several days. Encountered an occasional SB.exe but the server performed almost perfectly. Estimated numbers were around 17 active players v. 32 or so I'm told. Mr. Cyjax fought on the opposing side; maybe he'll have more feedback.

4H4LmCE.gif

Just fought in a 4 hour bane on MB and it was pretty great, although my sleeping schedule will be effed for the next several days. Encountered an occasional SB.exe but the server performed almost perfectly. Estimated numbers were around 17 active players v. 32 or so I'm told. Mr. Cyjax fought on the opposing side; maybe he'll have more feedback.

4 hour bane... just like the old days!!!

Chet's declaration of war:

http://magicbane.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3604#p37949

pretty hilarious mass mobilization message there. Who made chet's cool Caligula signature anyway?

Anyway, the short of it is that fun times are coming soon to the Magicbane server. The next two weekends should have a good amount of carnage. Will the anti-WM coalition nation be able to last against the full range of the DSM-V in WM? Might want to roll up a character and find out. :D

This new war might put a pin in my plans to make new friends on SBEMU. It's tough for me to disappoint the legion of my fans over there, but ah well. c'est la vie.

4H4LmCE.gif

MB fan boys that get banned on SBEMU forums like to play the role of the martyr, but are seemingly incapable of understanding the reasons for having forum policies. I will admit that historically the SBEMU team has acted like little wieners and there have probably been unjust bans, and it seemed that any negative comment about the dev team or the server's direction was smashed etc... However you have to admit that recently they seem to have relaxed quite a bit. That being said, it is their server that they are working on and they have every right to try to keep things positive on the forums regarding development. Every game in development with a community forum does this.

Magicbane is an anomaly in that the 'dev' team is made up of fictional characters that are barely present on the forums. Players can spew whatever vile hate they want on the boards - the devs do not answer. They throw a few crumbs every few weeks or months and the player base is so starving for updates and to communicate with the people running their game that they don't waste time with negative non-helpful crap.

The "chart" on the OP is so biased it isn't worth responding to.

The problems that the SBEMU server has is well documented and even with the performance issues a lot of Shadowbane players would rather play there than on Magicbane. 

test_sig_hurt_short.png

-Draconic Warlords, Usual Suspects, Freaks of Nature, Disturbed Forces, The Hate Crew, TSCCC-

Not enough Manshoon posts on Sbemu IMO.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I love how anyone who plays Magicbane are just players who couldn't hack it on a real forums. Yet we're all posting on a forums where WM members still post. So there goes that idea.

SBemu's leadership can't handle criticism, plain and simple. They want positive, fluffy feedback. Which they'll ignore even if it's put in the manner in which they demand. From day one that project has been all about Starfish's dream. The community was put together with a bunch of colored names with no real authority other than moderation and access to a few more subforums. Woopty doo.

You would think with the massive team there, it would be a superior project to magicbane. But on magicbane, you have a public bugs forum and a bugs/cheats/exploits that are pm'ed to Olga. There's 2 or 3 developers there. The rest is just the community who other than a few polls really have no bearing how Magicbane is ran.

I would love if the two communities could come together. Like MaT said, sbemu has the community and magicbane has the stability. But sbemu has been differentiating their project from day one. Even made it to where you have to patch the client. Before, you just had to change the arcaneip file to play either or. Now they're making it to where you can't go to magicbane without a little more effort.

And could sbemu even reintegrate back into magicbane? I doubt it. Even if the community was muzzled on the MB forums, they couldn't adjust from their goofybane experience (caster bane) back to the balance from live. MB would not welcome the Chinese back with open arms at all. Maybe if we get bored enough after this next wipe, but having an entire server up without them will be a breath of fresh air.

No, the two communities divorced and they will die apart from each other. sbemu has had so many wipes betweeen test phases and live phases that they've milked the server up mongers as much as they can. A wipe in one community steals pop from the other community for a temporary amount of time. The stalwarts to change will stay on MB, the goofy will stay on sbemu.  Eventually, we'll all run out of pop and eventually one project or the other will shut down and the community will be finally united. All 10 of them that are left by then anyhow.

It's more like they make changes without the majority of the communities input and do what they want. The test team is 2 or 3 people, who have been in it for 2 years, the same people who was just being brought in when I was on the test team, the same people who only duel in Khar and don't actually test poorly made socks, those of us who was trying to test the server/client/spawns/classes/discs/powers ect would be minding our own bizz, only to get teleported on and one shot with a god spell, interrupting our work. Got tired of getting a load thrown on me all the time solo, ended up burning myself out and quit SB without a word to them.

Crowfall%20Fei.png

~Black Aria IC~