Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chaoticgnome

All The Best Swords Have Names, You Know

Here's an idea for a moderation rule. If you're the first to report a named item and it is deemed offensive, you get to rename it!

A better way to discourage offensive naming of items would be for them to be simply deleted with no compensation.

soli deo gloria

Having a "made by" tag on anything crafted is important to me as it's part of the rep building system for crafters.

SWG let you specifically name things and it was extremely useful.  I could do a test run of various resource combinations and name the results to keep better track of what was working and what was not.  Naming things also became a way of leaving a message or taunting other players.

One aspect that might be relevant is that named items can seem odd when not in their original environment.  For example, if you sack a stronghold and run off with the furniture, you may or may not want to use the chair named "Oridi's Special Squishycore Chair of Giggles". 

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I think they should be able to nickname every piece of gear they make.

Of course it would have to have a set name as well, for easy recognition whilst trading, but making the gear recognizable to player based on the names could be an awesome way for crafters to gain a reputation.

At the very least I'd like to see the name of the crafter engraved on the gear somewhere or in the description.

That would look so awesome!

Edited by suckingdoge

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

A solid quote, I'd say.

Snowblind - Scimitar with freezing effects.

Archangel - Sword for Pally types with healing effects.

Bloodlet - Sword that causes more than average bleeding out damage.

Stormbringer - 2 handed hammer with lightening damage.

Soulstealer - Sword that suck your life out and gives to wielder.

thats all i can think of at the moment but im sure ill come up with more!

Famous last words..................

It doesnt look like a fire breathing dragon!?

Snowblind - Scimitar with freezing effects.

Archangel - Sword for Pally types with healing effects.

Bloodlet - Sword that causes more than average bleeding out damage.

Stormbringer - 2 handed hammer with lightening damage.

Soulstealer - Sword that suck your life out and gives to wielder.

thats all i can think of at the moment but im sure ill come up with more!

Duel wielding rogue with your Archangel and soul stealer might just wreak the poorly made socks out of peope.

While I love brushing my ego all over items I've crafted I don't think naming your creations would be very fitting thing to do in Crowfall.

It kinda clashes with the use and discard concept behind the breakable and detoriating equipment.

In all fairness, with the exception of magical/supernatural weapons like Excalibur, most "unique" weapons that actually got used probably had to be "remade" before being mounted on the wall for posterity. You couldn't just keep on sharpening a sword over and over and over. Eventually, you might salvage the hilt and pommel or something, instead of remaking that from scratch, but you'd probably have to reforge the blade at some point. *shrug*

So, it's not completely crazy to name your non-immortal weapon.

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

I don't understand the purpose behind limiting the use of a specific item name to a single player.  Sounds selfish and unnecessary.  If players want to have a unique name for their items, they should choose names that are not already popular or make up their own.

It'd be nice for names to be unique so there aren't a thousand Excaliburs flying around a campaign.

I don't like the idea of seeing the name Excalibur to begin with.  Why would that name be special in a universe where it does not exist to begin with?  Crowfall's universe feels closer to Norse mythology than anything else.  The name being unique or the quantities being limited does not make Excaliburs automatically cool or appealing to me.

I do support the naming of items, and the addition of a tag of the crafter's name.  I do not see any merit to restricting names to make non dedicated crafters feel special about a specific item name assigned exclusively to them (So they can craft weak weapons under its name without the fear of competition, which there really won't be because their item won't be popular to begin with unless its actually a high quality one, not because they gave it a well known name from a book, movie, or TV Show).

I know there are going to be plenty of bad item names in the game (From totally unrelated places), but I'm pretty sure many crafters will stick to names that fit in the context of a universe where everything is consumed, everyone keeps dying, and everyone hates themselves.

I think we need to approach crafting from another direction.  How can we give crafters the tools to stand out from the rest and produce weapons of higher quality than average through practice and effort? (Grinding is already a no, because of passive leveling)

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

The "Thousands of Exaliburs" was more choosing a cliche weapon name as an example of why exclusivity might give more meaning to a weapon name and wasn't a commentary on the lore of the game.

My idea was not that people could assign any old sword or shield a unique name, but that a skilled crafter using the best materials would, every now and then, make something truly exceptional.  A non-dedicated crafter would never have the commitment to get to that level.

What if you used a pool of words, like with a random name generator, but you got to pick the names out of that pool instead of having them randomly assembled? Of course without that being horrendously extensive, I'm not sure it would offer much in the way of "unique" weapon names. That, and it still doesn't deal with the whole "That guy already made a weapon named Shademarrow, but I want to name MY weapon that!" situation. *shrug*

Seems like the best plan might just be to have the item's names merely be descriptions of them based on their properties (i.e. Tempered Steel Gnoll Spear), and have the crafter simply get to place a trademark on their items. So if some awesome crafter's name was Stevicus, you could say "Whoa! That's a Stevicus Masterwork spear!". It would simply be a very high-quality spear made by Stevicus, who, by reputation, already makes really awesome weapons, whatever their "tier." So, the legendary-ness (totally a word) of it would simply be the collection of all those factors.

Plus, players could always just unofficially name their weapons. That's something the game needn't necessarily represent with a mechanic. It would be even more of a "legend" if the name simply had to be spread by word of mouth, and didn't show up in an inventory pane or something.

Edited by Lephys

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

What if you used a pool of words, like with a random name generator, but you got to pick the names out of that pool instead of having them randomly assembled? Of course without that being horrendously extensive, I'm not sure it would offer much in the way of "unique" weapon names. That, and it still doesn't deal with the whole "That guy already made a weapon named Shademarrow, but I want to name MY weapon that!" situation. *shrug*

That's exactly how Final Fantasy XIV lets you name your racing chocobo.  Pull from several lists of hundreds of lore appropriate words to create a two word combination.  Simple stuff like Red Lightning, Yellow Flash, Mega Flare, Desert XIII, Hot Runner, etc are possible.  Allows for unique combinations easily.  Replace those with murder words and it's decent enough.

Originally, it was stated that all crafter gear and weapons would bear the crafters name, and each would be entirely unique according to the crafters capabilities/resource availability and any unique recipes that they had found.

In light of that, I'm not sure that naming a weapon would be viable, since mostly all weapons will not all be exactly the same.

288mqgz.png

For those wanting to be a professional crafter (primary crafter), then the "Made By" tag is almost a necessity.  It is your brand name, as the names are unique, that appeals to us crafters.  How else are we crafters going to be rich and famous?  

As for being able to name your personal weapon, there are a lot of caveats. As prescribed above, what happens when a name is offensive?  Who will moderate the names?  Will the Crowfall development team have time to implement a system like this?  

Do not get me wrong, this sounds like a great idea.  But I have a feeling they have a MUCH longer laundry list and things to put in the game before this idea is ever looked at seriously.

Should have legendary weapons/armor with names where only one or couple exists at the time or what not and when it breaks it gets put back into the world, the weapons should have rather unique looking images, should be able to be crafted with rare crit chance or somthing where high lvl crafter make an exceptial weapon that they get to name it, or rare drops off world bosses or mobs.

They shouldn't be OP but a slight upgrade than the equivelent weapon it is based off of.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Should have legendary weapons/armor with names where only one or couple exists at the time or what not and when it breaks it gets put back into the world, the weapons should have rather unique looking images, should be able to be crafted with rare crit chance or somthing where high lvl crafter make an exceptial weapon that they get to name it, or rare drops off world bosses or mobs.

They shouldn't be OP but a slight upgrade than the equivelent weapon it is based off of.

What the hell was that monster doing with a legendary weapon in the first place?

Instead, any legendary weapons simply shouldn't break and will drop on your death.  So whoever killed you now has the legendary weapon.  If you know some guy who has Excalibur, you simply have to murder him and take it from his corpse.  On top of that, there's the advantage to having a weapon that doesn't eventually disintegrate into dust.

It'd be more interesting to follow the true history of a legendary weapon passing hands from one victor to the next.  Such weapons are coveted!

At least showing who crafted an item, like your insignia on the item would be a really nice easy implementation, promotes the crafter if someone inspects players that have his armour so surtain crafters become well known similar to SB.

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

Thousands of Excaliburs?  You won't even see one.  You will however see these.

Urmomishot, the legendary bow

Mydong, the legendary spear

Fight, the legendary club

Oridisucks, the legendary dagger

Deadpoolrulz, the legendary katana

Something like that, personally I'll name my armor:

Head: Never Gonna Give You Up

Chest: Never Gonna Let You Down

Gloves: Never Gonna Run around

Legs: And Desert You

So if somebody manages to kill me, my vengeance will come in form of Rick roll. Once the song gets stuck playing in your head, it's going to mess with you, badly.

Edited by nehemia